Euro 2016 General Chat

MrDuck

34 minutes ago, av1 said:

Bold statement, but Spain look like a shower to me, can't see them winning it. On the other hand, and i didn't think I'd be saying this before the tournament, Italy look very strong. My favourites for the tournament. 

Look a level above England.

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Spain are like a virtuoso guitarist. The skill is impressive but it doesn't entertain me.

The accuracy of this statement is absolutely staggering.

9 hours ago, penguin said:

Saw a lot of talk pre-tournament of Austria being the 'Dark Horse' but it's gotta be Croatia. Got some quality players and play well as a team.

they have 2 top class midfielders and a pretty good striker. wouldnt even call them a dark horse but a top contender

pity their fans are dicks

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

they have 2 top class midfielders and a pretty good striker. wouldnt even call them a dark horse but a top contender

pity their fans are dicks

I really really do not rate Manduzukic, I think he's an absolute shit house, he's slow witted, ponderous and not a particularly good finisher. It's a shame they don't have a Davor Suker up top.

Iniesta has been the best midfielder in this tournament by a mile so far, another brilliant assist so far.

That's why I ask for perspective when people are hyping up Rooney's performances levels in midfield so far. He's done fine but Iniesta has been insane level first two games. 

• Like 1

Best midfield players in the tournament either play for Barcelona or Real Madrid. To me Walker and Rose make Rooney look good because all his has is that floated diagional ball. Iniesta has far more dimensions to his game.

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 2

I don't really think it's fair to criticize Rooney for not being as good as Iniesta. Not many midfielders in the history of the game will look anywhere near as good as him. I think the England midfield is looking really good, certainly better than the days when it was Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick and whoever else.

• Like 1

Spain looked superb and for me, easily the best team in the tournament so far. However, it does seem the in thing to call them boring despite the fact they have been more enetertaining than Italy or Germany

• Like 4

1 hour ago, useless said:

I don't really think it's fair to criticize Rooney for not being as good as Iniesta. Not many midfielders in the history of the game will look anywhere near as good as him. I think the England midfield is looking really good, certainly better than the days when it was Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick and whoever else.

I really do not understand the whole anti-England English thing?

We play well "Well, Spain were better". We win "Yeah, but Spain looked more dominant". Rooney has a great game "Iniesta has been better than Rooney". So? Why are we seemingly not allowed to enjoy anything even remotely positive without it being belittled by it not being the absolute best.

@Xela It's definitely the opposite in my experience. I find them intensely boring, they play like pre-Suarez/Neymar Barca. At least Germany and Italy play a bit quicker and a little more direct. But basically everyone I know loves how Spain play. They've been the best so far, but I just can't really get my head around how so many people find it interesting to watch.

2 hours ago, useless said:

Quite true, we are controlling games far better than we did when Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham played for us. 

Â