• Poor
    • Very poor
  3. 3. Refereeing performance

• Very good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very poor

I owe you all an apology. I usually have a Villa scarf hanging on my window, but prior to the season starting it came down. We had a good start and as I was sorting out this week (before the cup game) I found the scarf, it had somehow fallen behind a stand. I put it up and we lost midweek, it made me wonder if it was a curse.

I took it down yesterday.

So... Sorry for destroying our cup dreams.

Any chance you could pop a Liverpool scarf up?

• Like 3

I'm a big fan of Delph but I thought he had a poor game by his standards - made some bad decisions in the game which is uncharacteristic. 

Grealish's ability to win free-kicks effectively won us that game as it frustrated the Hull players no end when they tried to get the ball off him and they were looking dangerous after they scored. 

Grealish was the perfect sub, great way to kill time. My Mrs would have scored the Bent chance, lol. He needs time on the pitch before he will hit form, which he will.

Overall a great performance, although we do seem to give possession away from goal kicks time after time, even when we win the first ball, needs to be sorted to see out games like this. 8/10

Now the feel-good high has disappeared, I'm a bit worried about our performance in the second half. The first half was some of the best football I've seen us play in years and we could (should) have been 3-0 up. For some reason, after half-time it looked like the nerves had taken hold again for no reason and we were under the kosh for the majority. Instead of passing it neatly like we were the long balls and panicked clearances started to creep in again. I'm glad we were able to see it out but we really need some confidence and calm.

It was a great first half performance but the 2nd half we stepped off the gas after about 10 minutes and reverted to nervier, poorer play. Our marking at times was suspect and we let Hull get back into the game too much. The most important thing was that we closed the game out and I honestly don't think we would have done last season. 

Great sub to bring Grealish on as he really gave Hull something to think about.

Agree. Until we brought Jack on we were under the kosh and looked fragile and lacked any composure. Sanchez seemed to disrupt our midfield and kept giving away needless fouls. But Grealish gave them something to think about which resulted in Hull getting 3 yellow cards in 5 minutes from 4 fouls on him...yet young Jack came away smiling about it. Lambert did the right thing bringing him on when he did.

Great win, fantastic first half, really fluid play and created plenty of chances. Could barely get out of our half second half and Bent should've stuck it away. Bent is getting a bit of a ripping but he always fashions a chance for himself and if fully fit (which he clearly isn't right now) I fancy him to stick those away.

Edited by roonst83

Dropping deeper is always going to happen. It will take a while to get it out of the team.

On the performance great first half. It it shows what difference the front 2 make when they have success. They've been passengers so far. There was some great stuff played, and 2 very good goals.

The second half was always going to happen I think. Hull have superior match fitness because of the EUROPA league at this stage and we dropped deeper.

Before this season we had 2 wins in 16 without Benteke, now we have 2 already...and hopefully 1 or 2 more players in. It's looking good so far.

Great 2nd goal, great first half, a little too much sitting back in the 2nd and it got unnecessarily nervous in the end. But still 3 good, well deserved and needed points. And good to see Gabby and Andy show that they can still be good for us.

Grealish was good, of course, and I can't understand why they attacked him like that. Were they trying to scare him? It probably worked the other way around. :) And I've seen people being sent off for less than what Elahmady (sp?) did. Guess Clattenburg missed it.

Happy as ****! :)

Edit: And even if it was a nervous ending, I think that if you were neutral hull rarely threatened to score again. But we're Villans and we know that it's never easy for us to win.

Edited by Pelle
  • Like 1

I owe you all an apology. I usually have a Villa scarf hanging on my window, but prior to the season starting it came down. We had a good start and as I was sorting out this week (before the cup game) I found the scarf, it had somehow fallen behind a stand. I put it up and we lost midweek, it made me wonder if it was a curse.

I took it down yesterday.

So... Sorry for destroying our cup dreams.

Any chance you could pop a Liverpool scarf up?

Will toilet roll be OK?

• Like 1

Grealish is ok, personally I think he is overhyped, but hopefully he will develop into a cracking winger, I don't think he is a game changer, Richardson is a great signing, weiman and delph must be on drugs the amount of work they put in and nice to see 28000 proper villa fans there today supporting the team, thick and thin! Good atmosphere in the holte today.

Yeah the second half wasn't the best, but there are plenty more positives to take from that game and our previous games.

The defence doesn't have me on edge like last season. Sure they still make mistakes, but much improved from last season. Can't wait to get Benteke/Kozak back into the side and with a midfielder or two, things are looking better than last season. Last season saw us concede 5 from the same set of games and only picking up 3 points.

These days i'm not to optimistic about the Villa, but this season has been a pleasant surprise in the League so far. I hope it continues. UTV

Edited by Daniel

I gotta be honest, I've slagged Weimann off for a long time about not being able to compose himself in front of goal, his poor first touch and all the wild shots. But the lad has been outstanding so far in the first three games, never been so happy to eat my own words. Over the moon for Gabby today UTV

I also note that our old 'Friend' Kevin the 4th official once again tried to screw us over by awarding 5 minutes of time added at the end too.

I think a lot of that was because of our dickish fans in the North keeping hold of the ball.

Also, as I was in the North Lower I didn't see Jack at the other end, was he causing havoc at the end?

Most pleasing thing for me was in the 1st half it looked like we had a good shape and tactics and we were playing to them, hull were poor, relegation contenders poor IMO, 2nd half looked like a case of job done and we gave up, which I hoped Keane would sort out

Delph looked nervous at the start and took a while to get going, looked like the call up played on his mind to me, and I was good and kept running all game, cissokho and Hutton were very good again, senderos was composed which is half the battle, grealish is going to be a star and that was ridiculous, Sanchez needs time

Ref was shit

Is the forum going to be renamed "GrealishTalk"? It is borderline worrying how much people are fawning over him..that said I do hope he can match the high expectations, as he looks a talent.

Great performance first half would love us to maintain that kind of football for more than 45 minutes, but we sat back far too much second half, however, that did coincide with Hull making a formation change and they looked more solid, so we can't take too much away from them. Good performances from everyone today, would like to see Sanchez start a game, as I think he is struggling to get up to pace in games coming on as a sub, and he gives away sloppy free kicks. All in all another 3 points towards survival and we don't need to worry as much about the next 5 matches now do we.