Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

I think hes a clever player, and some of his 1st time passing is a bit above some of the players around him, saying that, i'm not sure hes a £8m player.I see Sigurdsson, and Dembele, they are/would have been, cheaper, and if we going to spend that amount, i would add a bit more, and buy a better player.

A £5m player imho.

• Like 1

I think hes a clever player, and some of his 1st time passing is a bit above some of the players around him, saying that, i'm not sure hes a £8m player.I see Sigurdsson, and Dembele, they are/would have been, cheaper, and if we going to spend that amount, i would add a bit more, and buy a better player.

A £5m player imho.

Can't imagine either being much less than 8m really

Keeps the ball incredibly well. Looking forward to seeing how he performs against a non top-4 team.

I think he's started well, and I think it's a bit harsh to judge him too much on 3 performances against 3 very good teams.

• Like 2

Westwood is more forward thinking with his passes. Always looks up first to see if there's something on (the through ball to Weimann anyone?). Cleverley's first instinct is almost always just to keep possession and usually makes neutral passes, which is perfectly fine of course.

• Like 1

95% pass completion against Citeh apparently - with more passes than anyone else on the team. 

Is there anything that Westwood can do better than him? I don't think so. 

I don't think so either.  They're similar players, but Cleverley is the better of the two.

I think he looks very very good. And if we have had a little more confidence and self believe then we could have hurt City even more. Looks a good buy for me and I can see us taking over Evertons place, just outside the top, in the near future. But then I am alway optimistic :-) 

Westwood is more forward thinking with his passes. Always looks up first to see if there's something on (the through ball to Weimann anyone?). Cleverley's first instinct is almost always just to keep possession and usually makes neutral passes, which is perfectly fine of course.

Not really. We already have Westwood to keep possession. Cleverley has been signed to be the most attacking of the midfielders yet doesn't look like he possesses any ounce of creativity really. It was the same at United. I fail to see what he will actually contribute offensively this season.

• Like 1

I was just commenting on how they play and not their roles. The fact that Westwood is more attacking than Cleverley who is supposed to be the more attacking player, while also being good at retaining possession, goes against the idea that there isn't anything that Westwood can't to better than Cleverley.

Not really. We already have Westwood to keep possession. Cleverley has been signed to be the most attacking of the midfielders yet doesn't look like he possesses any ounce of creativity really. It was the same at United. I fail to see what he will actually contribute offensively this season.

Was it the same at Wigan where he played as an AM. He hasn't really played any game as an AM if we are being honest, the shape of the team has been a midfield 3 with Cleverley playing the right side of it. I'm sure he will be asked to move further forward once we get the next few games out of the way.

Yes he has been, he's been the most advanced of the three. Obviously out of possession he does his bit in keeping the defensive shape but he still is the one furthest forward whenever we do find ourselves in the opposition half.

Anyway, we'll see how he does against the supposed lesser sides. I've just never considered him a particularly creative player, that's all. Always strikes me as someone who plays the simple, unambitious pass and is better suited to being a link player.

• Like 1

Yes he has been, he's been the most advanced of the three. Obviously out of possession he does his bit in keeping the defensive shape but he still is the one furthest forward whenever we do find ourselves in the opposition half.

Anyway, we'll see how he does against the supposed lesser sides. I've just never considered him a particularly creative player, that's all. Always strikes me as someone who plays the simple, unambitious pass and is better suited to being a link player.

I don't know what you have been watching, he was not situated as an AM, yeh he tries to get forward, but he was on the RCM alongside Westwood and Delph. It wasn't Delph and Westwood holding and Cleverley playing at the tip. Basically same formation as when we had KEA.

But we will see if he is let loose against the lesser sides.

Edited by SikhInTrinity

Hasn't really been the most attacking midfielder when he's lined up alongside Westwood on RCM. Until he's actually put in the hole, I don't think you can judge the second bit of your statement. It's like me judging KEA on his creativity last season as they are both playing the same position.

Edited by SikhInTrinity

And KEA also played as the most advanced midfielder also and everybody used to criticise him for not really offering enough on the ball (including yourself if I remember correctly) due to that. You seem to have a hard time distinguishing between being the most advanced midfielder in a midfield-three and playing in the hole which nobody has claimed Cleverley is doing. Anyway, I haven't got time to waste going in circles so I'll leave it there.

Â