Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

I've decided to go, going along with a neutral football fan who's not been to a live game for ages, I myself had a season ticket and decided I wasn't gonna go much this year but heading back already! Can't resist

I would play:

Given

Lowton Okore Baker Clark

Gardner KEA

Nzogbia Cole Grealish

Robinson

That way we can field an experienced team whilst still giving game time to fringe players. Think Robinson needs a game to stake a claim, I wanna see Grealish live myself and nzog for me is starting to look good but needs more games so I'd play him in a different area of the pitch and see what he can do

I'll be very annoyed if we play too strong a team in this competition. This is the single lowest pressure game of the whole season, it's really a great opportunity for fringe players to get some game time and find some form. My team would be:

--------------------------Given-------------------------

Lowton-----------Okore---------Clark-------Baker

------------------------Sanchez------------------------

---------Bacuna-------Cole---------Grealish-------

--------------Agbonlahor------Robinson*----------

*if he's not on loan?

Plus a strong bench. If Herd is fit, he should also get some minutes, and arguably Stevens too. There's really no reason not to be giving people chances. I left Gabby in simply because he needs to find form (and in any case, if it were up to me, he wouldn't start on Saturday). 

I'll be very annoyed if we play too strong a team in this competition. This is the single lowest pressure game of the whole season, it's really a great opportunity for fringe players to get some game time and find some form. My team would be:

*if he's not on loan?

Plus a strong bench. If Herd is fit, he should also get some minutes, and arguably Stevens too. There's really no reason not to be giving people chances. I left Gabby in simply because he needs to find form (and in any case, if it were up to me, he wouldn't start on Saturday). 

Your annoyance is nothing compared to the backlash Lambert would get if he played a weak team and we went out to a lower league team again.

• Like 1

*if he's not on loan?

Your annoyance is nothing compared to the backlash Lambert would get if he played a weak team and we went out to a lower league team again.

Our fringe players should be better than their starting XI. There's really no excuse for them not to be. 

• Like 1

Hopefully Gary Gardener gets a run out,if he can find his form of England u21 days,then we have a great player on our hands,also Callum Robinson,who imo is a far better prospect than Gabby.It would be nice to see us with over 50% possesion,can't be any excuses tonight.

It's interesting to me in these games that the PL manager is pretty much doomed to criticism Critics will find fault.

1) Start the best team = critics will complain that it wasted the chance to develop some of the fringe players

2) Start the fringe players = critics will complain that it wasted the chance to solidify the understanding between the starters.

I guess that's just part of the job. But managers are still human. That's why I would guess that most find some blend of the starters with some reserves sprinkled in.

given

lowton - clark - baker - stevens

sanchez

bacuna - westwood - delph - grealish

weimann

That team would probably lose.

Clearly I disagree with your conclusion (wouldn't be much point in suggesting a losing side).  But I would like to hear your reasons, not just your pronouncement.

if fit should be strong enough to get us through

Given

Lowton Senderos Okore Baker

Sanchez

Bacuna         KEa

Cole                                     Grealish

Bent

It's interesting to me in these games that the PL manager is pretty much doomed to criticism Critics will find fault.

1) Start the best team = critics will complain that it wasted the chance to develop some of the fringe players

2) Start the fringe players = critics will complain that it wasted the chance to solidify the understanding between the starters.

I guess that's just part of the job. But managers are still human. That's why I would guess that most find some blend of the starters with some reserves sprinkled in.

given

sanchez

weimann

Clearly I disagree with your conclusion (wouldn't be much point in suggesting a losing side). But I would like to hear your reasons, not just your pronouncement.
Because the back four would get terribly exposed against a team that will keep putting the ball in to the box, Edited by Vive_La_Villa

given

sanchez

weimann

Clearly I disagree with your conclusion (wouldn't be much point in suggesting a losing side). But I would like to hear your reasons, not just your pronouncement.
Because the back four would get terribly exposed against a team that will keep putting the ball in to the box,

Fair enough.  But I'll disagree.  Clark and Baker have weaknesses to be sure.  But I think they should be able to manage the LO threat.  They sort of managed a number of BPL teams last year.  I also think Sanchez will help protect them from through balls on the ground.  Balls from the wings should be covered with 4 in the midfield tracking back.  I do get your point though.  thanks for explaining.

given

sanchez

weimann

Because the back four would get terribly exposed against a team that will keep putting the ball in to the box,

Fair enough. But I'll disagree. Clark and Baker have weaknesses to be sure. But I think they should be able to manage the LO threat. They sort of managed a number of BPL teams last year. I also think Sanchez will help protect them from through balls on the ground. Balls from the wings should be covered with 4 in the midfield tracking back. I do get your point though. thanks for explaining.

Isn't Okore fit?