Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

I want us to win a trophy as its been too long.

After losing to a league two side over 2 legs, I think we have to wait a bit longer. Like to the end of time.

That league 2 side beat Arsenal in the previous round and they've just won the FA Cup so I think we can look for other reasons to why we may not win it but history won't be one of them. I hope we put out or strongest available side as a good win would be nice going into Sunday.

It's interesting to me in these games that the PL manager is pretty much doomed to criticism Critics will find fault.

1) Start the best team = critics will complain that it wasted the chance to develop some of the fringe players

2) Start the fringe players = critics will complain that it wasted the chance to solidify the understanding between the starters.

I guess that's just part of the job. But managers are still human. That's why I would guess that most find some blend of the starters with some reserves sprinkled in.

given

lowton - clark - baker - stevens

sanchez

bacuna - westwood - delph - grealish

weimann

That team would probably lose.
Clearly I disagree with your conclusion (wouldn't be much point in suggesting a losing side). But I would like to hear your reasons, not just your pronouncement.
Because the back four would get terribly exposed against a team that will keep putting the ball in to the box,

Fair enough.  But I'll disagree.  Clark and Baker have weaknesses to be sure.  But I think they should be able to manage the LO threat.  They sort of managed a number of BPL teams last year.  I also think Sanchez will help protect them from through balls on the ground.  Balls from the wings should be covered with 4 in the midfield tracking back.  I do get your point though.  thanks for explaining.

Lower league teams play a very different direct type of football that catches a lot of PL teams out. It certainly us out last season against Bradford where our best defenders at the time just couldn't handle balls into the box. Start underestimating them and they sniff blood.

It's interesting to me in these games that the PL manager is pretty much doomed to criticism Critics will find fault.

1) Start the best team = critics will complain that it wasted the chance to develop some of the fringe players

2) Start the fringe players = critics will complain that it wasted the chance to solidify the understanding between the starters.

I guess that's just part of the job. But managers are still human. That's why I would guess that most find some blend of the starters with some reserves sprinkled in.

given

lowton - clark - baker - stevens

sanchez

bacuna - westwood - delph - grealish

weimann

That team would probably lose.
Clearly I disagree with your conclusion (wouldn't be much point in suggesting a losing side). But I would like to hear your reasons, not just your pronouncement.
Because the back four would get terribly exposed against a team that will keep putting the ball in to the box,

Fair enough. But I'll disagree. Clark and Baker have weaknesses to be sure. But I think they should be able to manage the LO threat. They sort of managed a number of BPL teams last year. I also think Sanchez will help protect them from through balls on the ground. Balls from the wings should be covered with 4 in the midfield tracking back. I do get your point though. thanks for explaining.

Isn't Okore fit?

I would have him on the bench and hope to give him 20-30 minutes late.  but starting him in place of clark or baker either one wouldn't be a terrible idea.

I'll be very annoyed if we play too strong a team in this competition. This is the single lowest pressure game of the whole season, it's really a great opportunity for fringe players to get some game time and find some form. My team would be:

--------------------------Given-------------------------

Lowton-----------Okore---------Clark-------Baker

------------------------Sanchez------------------------

---------Bacuna-------Cole---------Grealish-------

--------------Agbonlahor------Robinson*----------

*if he's not on loan?

Plus a strong bench. If Herd is fit, he should also get some minutes, and arguably Stevens too. There's really no reason not to be giving people chances. I left Gabby in simply because he needs to find form (and in any case, if it were up to me, he wouldn't start on Saturday). 

Your annoyance is nothing compared to the backlash Lambert would get if he played a weak team and we went out to a lower league team again.

Our fringe players should be better than their starting XI. There's really no excuse for them not to be. 

Like Man Utd's fringe players?

I'll respect lambos judgement, but I would prefer a first choice side and hope to get/maintain a run....it is easy to come unstuck if you start messing around.....its not as if we will play 50 games this season.

Edited by terrytini

Basically, I think ya'll proved my original point

If lambert starts the "starters" he'll be criticized for risking injury, overestimating opponents, and not giving youngsters a chance.

If he starts the reserves, he'll be criticized for not bedding in the starters who need to gel and taking the cup lightly,

Sure, he signed up for the job and is getting paid, but it really is lose lose for him. Even if we win.

• Like 1

I'll be very annoyed if we play too strong a team in this competition. This is the single lowest pressure game of the whole season, it's really a great opportunity for fringe players to get some game time and find some form. My team would be:

--------------------------Given-------------------------

Lowton-----------Okore---------Clark-------Baker

------------------------Sanchez------------------------

---------Bacuna-------Cole---------Grealish-------

--------------Agbonlahor------Robinson*----------

*if he's not on loan?

Plus a strong bench. If Herd is fit, he should also get some minutes, and arguably Stevens too. There's really no reason not to be giving people chances. I left Gabby in simply because he needs to find form (and in any case, if it were up to me, he wouldn't start on Saturday). 

Your annoyance is nothing compared to the backlash Lambert would get if he played a weak team and we went out to a lower league team again.

Our fringe players should be better than their starting XI. There's really no excuse for them not to be. 

Like Man Utd's fringe players?

Yes. They should have won as well. They certainly don't have a good excuse for failing to do so. 

The bottom line is that if you don't play the fringe players when you have the chance, they're not up to it when they're called in to the first team. Yes, upsets happen (there do seem to have been a lot of them tonight). But we could equally be upset with a first team playing, and our PL game at the weekend is more than averagely important. Players like Bacuna, Baker and Lowton will be called upon during the season. They're not youth-team players or semi-professionals. Lets give them some playing time. 

we need to play a strong team and build up confidence, certainly our front players need a few goals, Baker and Clarke are not kids now but experienced defenders in their own right who know their positions have been taken, I fully expect them to react positively as it could be last chance saloon for them. We need a good result to lay the ghosts we have created and to show we can start winning at home, this is the priority for PL as to get the fans back on side he has to start showing improvement at VP. I look forward to watching this match with the lad and hopefully having something to cheer about at last.

Strong ish team but not full strength. A win is needed following cup results last few yrs.

Guzan

Hutton Senderos Okore (if fit) Stevens

Sanchez

Bacuna Johnson

Nzog Bent Grealish

Have Robinson and a couple of other kids on bench alongside Baker Clark Westwood Weimann etc

Edit - Forgot about Cole, play him over Johnson

Edited by mikeyp102

Forget the big rotation guys, Lambert said in the press conferance he would put up a strong team.

---------------------Given------------------

Hutton----------Okore----Senderos--Richardson

------------Delph---Sanchez--Westwood----------

Zog--------------------Bent-----------------Grealish

Would be my guess

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

Truth be tolled, whether we win OR lose, only people whose opinion don't matter will be posted at all

I don't think you can put a price on the truth.

Anyway we should  win this. I really hope so after all the stick I've been giving my Manure supporting mate at work!

• Like 1