Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Emilia Clarke is such a bad actress I am already against it

She's absolutely terrible.

But everything you read about this would have you thinking this is a mess even without her. I think Disney know as well.

Plus you can't escape thinking that this is a tick box exercise. Loads of gags have been made online about it but it's true, you can just see the things that have to be in there - you'll get the Kessel run, etc etc, because that has to be there.

• Like 1

Of all the Disney era movies, this is the one I worry about the most. I'm not even bothered about it being a bad movie, just that a different actor is playing Han. I know Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor both played Obi Wan, but this is a little different, as it'll be two actors playing the same character at similar ages. It's such an iconic character, and so synonyms with Harrison Ford, I think it's going to be hard for anyone else to play him.

I'll still be there in line waiting to see it on first or second night though.  

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

As I feared, all I'm getting out of watching that is the feeling that he's not Han Solo. Looks beautiful, and there at least looks like we're gonna see some cool Star Wars shit, but that leaves me cold.

We must be cautious.

Sure it will look pretty, but other than that I will treat this as those Ewok's Adventure TV-movies.

It will contain the Falcon and Chewie, but it's not a proper Star Wars Movie.

Might still go watch it if it's a rainy summer and no footy on the telly.

Not convinced but my 11yr old lad looked pleased with it.

i have my reservations, like others about the whole thing being about Harrison Ford, sorry Han Solo when there are plenty of other decent lesser shown characters to choose from.

i’ll take him with gritted teeth but know i’ll enjoy it because he’ll love it. 

There was talk that the chap playing Solo, Alden Ehrenreich, had to have acting lessons during the filming of this.

I can kinda believe it.

I saw him in Hail Caesar and he's kinda hard to judge from that, he is playing someone who can't act from what I recall, and he's done surprisingly little in his career (though he's done a few critical darlings in that time).

He just seems to not be much cop here from the brief glimpse. Ok, Ford's Han is a hard act to follow and moreso copy, but he appears to be a complete charisma vacuum. The gag at the end with him piloting the ship, I can imagine a young Harrison Ford making that gag work far better than it deserves, this? I almost didn't realise it was a gag.

And this just feels so much more cynical than anything else they've done. There was always going to be more Star Wars, even without Disney buying it (Lucas needed to sell those toys), but surely they could mine it for something better than a Han Solo prequel? There's a **** ton of Star Wars stuff over the years to nick ideas from. But a Solo origin? You can feel the board meeting off it. You can see the list the execs drew up of cash cows they could make.  

A new trilogy? Of course, why even question it. But let's look at what else we can do. Who is everyone's favourite, a real 4 quadrant draw...? Han Solo! Let's give him an origin. It practically writes itself! How did he met Chewie? What is up with his relationship with Lando? What is the Kessel Run?! 

Its the most cynical thing on the list. Of the things that immediately jump to mind, be that the obvious Boba Fett movie, the gap filler movies like Obi Wan between the trilogies, Rogue One, nothing is so obvious a cash grab.

And I'm not even a Star Wars fan.

• Like 1

to be fair i didnt like the casting of felicity jones for rogue one but she was perfectly fine, she obviously benefits from jyn being a brand new character which is something Disney should have recognised and accepted, should leave the old characters alone, the EU is so big and popular they dont need to do this 

• Like 1

Â