Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

I think either a Jar Jar Binks origin story leading him to being turned to the dark side (just to keep the conspiracy fan boys happy) pre-prequels or a Jabba the hutt story from when he turned up late at the end of Monster University and how that affected his whole out look of the world/universe ?

• Like 1

Some very good discussion on the previous page, and I find myself basically agreeing with a lot of it. 

For me, the paradox of Star Wars is that the initial film was kind of the ultimate moonshot (pardon the pun) which could just as easily - in fact, more easily - have been a complete and total failure. A film, set in space, which tells the audience it's halfway along an anthology they haven't seen, and is about a religion nobody understands? Sounds barking, but was incredibly successful. But from this ultimate leftfield beginning, escalating timidity has (understandably) become the order of the day, to the point where it seems utterly unthinkable that anybody could write an officially-sanctioned story in this universe that didn't either feature a named character from the main series, or slot into the gaps. To the point where everyone applauded like seals because episode 7 was nothing more than a very polished cover version of episode 4. 

I think they're going to pay the price for this timidity sooner or later (maybe sooner). @villa4europe is right that the best future for this franchise is doing more stuff on TV. Obviously Star Wars is popular with the kids too, but these days a lot of people most invested in it as a franchise are in middle age. What are they doing for fun? Sitting at home watching high-quality dramas on Netflix. They went back to the cinema to watch a couple of the new Star Wars but they're not going to keep going back to watch retreads and greatest hits packages. Star Wars is theoretically a blank slate - basically an entire universe, with logic or science not much of an issue! - so the story doesn't need to be limited to the same few characters doing the same things again and again. 

A few weeks ago, I was turfing stuff out of my childhood bedroom, and found one of the very few pieces of Star Wars merchandise I owned, which was a 'choose your own adventure' book, with the character a minor Jedi just learning his powers on a sort of post-industrial planet with a vaguely dystopian Empire government. I'm not saying produce that, exactly, but something along similar lines would probably be pretty much in line with current trends. The joy of TV as well is that the story can be told more deeply, with richer characterisation, but using fewer settings and ultimately on a smaller budget. 

In the end, I think they won't do this, and they'll just keep trying cover versions until the golden goose stops laying. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not even sure how I feel about this one.  I like Lando as a character, but it does not suggest the brave new direction I was hoping they would take the next movie in.  I don't like the fans being pandered to as I feel it is too cheap and easy for the writers to get a reaction so is used as a crutch preventing actual thought and creative writing.  On the other hand as a fan I will definitely get a kick from Lando.  Gosh I am conflicted. 

Are there any characters left that actually know who the **** Lando is?

The Last Jedi will have shown Disney that fans want pandering. The next film being a reskin of Return of the Jedi would shock no-one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

The Last Jedi will have shown Disney that fans want pandering. The next film being a reskin of Return of the Jedi would shock no-one.

Yeah absolutely. They absolutely can't win with something like bringing back Lando, because they're stuck between raucous, angry fans who want them to do something new and unexpected, and raucous, angry fans who aren't happy with anything that strays even a hair from Lucas's original vision.

16 hours ago, Chindie said:

Chewbacca!

"Shit - we killed off Han and Luke, and then Carrie Fisher died... somebody call Billy Dee Williams!"

• 1 month later...

Solo, it was OK.

Didn't really feel like a Star Wars movie to me tbh.

Other than Chewbacca and the odd stormtrooper it could have been any random sci-fi heist movie.

One of the problems was using Woody, Thandie Newton and Emilia Clarke in leading roles. For me It takes you out of the "universe" with big names although I guess it can't really be avoided.

Did like Donald Glover as Lando thou.

6/10 

Also, this whole part is a huge wtf moment 

Edited by sne

On another note, what's up with every protagonist being an orphan (or growing up without parents present).

Luke (and Leia) the obvious ones.

Then Anakin (ish) in the crappy ones (yeah mum dies later)

Then it's Rey 

Then it's Jyn in Rogue One 

And now Han Solo as well

Bit of an overused trope in the Star Wars universe?

The again, war, strife, slavery, evil empire... guess it's not that implausible.

6 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

It was a way for Disney to shoe horn in a character that people love (because he looks cool) but was basically a useless/pointless plot point in Lucas's abysmal prequel.

Apparently he has robot legs now, since he was cut in half and all that the last time we saw him...

Maul-robot-legs-2.jpeg

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Wow - I hadn't even thought the timeline through. Keep milking that $$$$ cow Disney!!

he was revived pre disney in the clone wars cartoons, which also featured his brother

CloneWars_620_011813.jpg

great villain that they wasted, no real surprise they brought him back

when you then they did an even worse job with grevious and ventress was just in the back ground they really **** up what they had (to be fair sir christopher lee was pretty cool too but he didn't have any real menace IMO)

i think the new trilogy is going to be the same, the villains dont work

6 hours ago, sne said:

On another note, what's up with every protagonist being an orphan (or growing up without parents present).

Luke (and Leia) the obvious ones.

Then Anakin (ish) in the crappy ones (yeah mum dies later)

Then it's Rey 

Then it's Jyn in Rogue One 

And now Han Solo as well

Bit of an overused trope in the Star Wars universe?

The again, war, strife, slavery, evil empire... guess it's not that implausible.

They only have one plot idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Solo over the weekend.

Wow, that's an ugly movie. It's gloomy and dark and nearly every scene is shot in some murky colour. Then there's a bunch of tightly cropped shots which seem to have come from the reshoots where they didn't have full sets to work with. You can also see it in most of the (handful) of scenes Paul Bettany is in - count the number of times he's on screen alone, it appears he shot a fair bit of his screen time without the rest of the cast.

It's a messy film and I'm not convinced there was a fully baked script when they began shooting, with lots of the film feeling underdeveloped. Whole characters are introduced, get 5 minutes of screen time, 4 lines, and are done. There's an entire character seemingly added to explore a theme that ends up being played for an irritating gag for 20 minutes and dies, with no impact on anything. It's bizarre.

Cast is... fine. Ehrenreich had a fools errand in trying to do a young Han Solo, and he fails. He's let down by a script that can't do much but be a caricature of Solo, but he doesn't have Ford's charisma either. Emilia Clarke just isn't good actress. Donald Glover is the best thing in the movie and he's basically just doing an impression of Lando. Woody Harrelson can do his character with his eyes closed and subsequently is completely fine.

Given how bad the production was it's no shock it's a mess but it's probably not as bad as it could have been. It's a parade of box ticking exercises that pretty much writes itself if you've seen the original films, thumped into a underdone clunky plot that does nothing. It's fine. It still feels cynical, it doesn't blow anyone's socks off. It looks the part in it's design if not it's cinematography. It's fine. It's Star Wars. 

*Shrug*

On the contrary I watched it last night and thought it was an excellent and really fun film. Felt like the most Star Wars-y film since the original trilogy. The maelstrom monster scene in particular was great. The chap playing Han did a great job. Good cast and characters, interesting story, cool locations, basically everything TLJ wasn’t. I need to rewatch R1 again but I’d happily put Solo up there as one of the better SW films and I’ll definitely watch it again and again. It put a smile on my face and I absolutely loved it. I hope they make a Solo sequel to see where Qi’ra’s character goes.

Oh and for my top 5 its 

1. ESB

2. ANH,

~ Rogue 1 & Solo

5. ROTJ. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I watched it again last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Now that I've got used to him, I think Alden Ehrenreich makes an excellent Han. Much better all round film than The Last Jedi for my money.

• 2 weeks later...

Title for the upcoming Jon Favreau Star Wars series is: The Mandalorian.

Will be set in the period between The Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens.

Jon Favreau announced tonight that his Star Wars series will be called The Mandalorian, and follow a “lone gunfighter.”

“After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe,” Favreau said in an Instagram post. “The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.”

These mark the first details Favreau has shared about the series, which will live exclusively on Disney’s stand-alone streaming serviceThe Mandalorian will be a live-action Star Wars series, and is one of the most anticipated of all the new original shows Disney has ordered for its service.

Disney Play, a name that Disney CEO Bob Iger said could change, will launch in late 2019. Spinoff series for popular Marvel characters like Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen) are also reportedly set to join the streaming service. Iger previously said a new High School Musical and Monsters, Inc. series will debut exclusively on the service.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/3/17934910/star-wars-jon-favreau-mandalorian-disney-streaming

Edited by sne

And now I've gone through this thread too. Which might explain to some why they got a few likes on posts from some years ago. Yes, that was me. :) But of course you already knew that. Anyway, good fun. I'm yet to watch Solo, I have it but haven't even opened it. Will do.

On the new films I can only say that I enjoyed them but the fact that I don't remember much from them, even reading some of the reviews here, tells me that I wasn't that overwhelmed. Tohught they were decent but not near the original movies. But that wasn't to be expected. The thing is, for me, that Lucas created something magical noone had seen before with the original trilogy. Sure, we had Alien and Star Trek and such, but they were nothing like SW. That magic isn't there anymore and it's not new anymore and the whole franchise is still living on that lost magic. Still, I will watch them all over and over again. I will have a day, whem I'm alone, and sit down and watch them all from TPM (Yes, but it's just for the sake of it) all the way to TLJ. Hm, that's 10 films. But I once watched season 7 of 24 in real time so this won't be a problem. :) 

• Like 1

Â