Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

TBH it looks really nice, but that's to be expected I guess.

Thing is I'm not interested in these kind of "Young Indiana Jones/Hecules/Solo" stories.

And the guy playing the lead is just not Han Solo

• Like 1

It'll be a miracle if it's not a mess. Change of director and extensive reshoots at the last minute (including recasting) to rescue it fast and cheap, an actor needing acting lessons midway through filming, who happens to be playing an iconic character in the central role. In a story nobody wants. That already has worrying signs of fan service (do we really need to know how Han Solo gets his gun? I'd stake my last penny the film has a moment where he gets a scar on his chin, and we'll just have to hope they don't need to let us know how he got his belt and jacket too. The Millennium Falcon doing the Kessel Run is already guaranteed). 

It's going to be weak. The highlights seem to be Donald Glover and the CGI. Better trailer than the last one, but a trailer hides many sins.

I rewatched the Last Jedi last night as well.

It's not a particularly good film, it's not even a particularly good Star Wars film, but it's not the travesty it is made it to be. There's some absolute shit in it, whoever thought up that Leia scene should be locked in a room and made to think about what they've done, and the humour is complete dog shit, for instance. But fundamentally most of plot choices make sense. It's biggest problems are the framework of the plot they hang the rest of the film off is rubbish, and the harder issue of the whole thing being unsatisfying for an audience that is coming off a movie that laid plot lines and mysteries that this film chooses to reject or subvert. Someone going to see this desperate to see the resolution of those mysteries will walk away from the film disappointed.

I enjoyed it more on a second watch ultimately. There's some beautiful stuff in it, and some great action (punctuated with some crap admittedly). Where the sequel goes from there though, **** knows. This film effectively gives a very blank slate to work from, because it binned TFA so thoroughly, but it also makes that slate very, very small. Snoke no longer matters, Rey doesn't have much back story left, the Rebels are in a helluva bind, most of the old guard has done their bit... I can see there being a bit of a time jump to the finale to give them wiggle room to build a new back story and divorce it from TLJ.

Also, what money Johnson keeps his shot at a new trilogy? This movie massively underperformed Disney's expectations... And you'd not bet against Solo not doing as well as they'd like given its problems. And they've already shown they've grown shy of unknowns with Trevorrow being ditched off IX and the safe hands of Abrams coming back.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Unexpectedly positive first reactions to Solo are in.

Most surprisingly of all is, apparently Alden Ehrenreich is excellent as Solo :o

'Swagger to spare' and 'the real deal' were a couple of standout comments.

Seems it's a pretty funny Western/heist movie. 

40 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

The critics loved TLJ and gushed over it in their reviews too.

This. 

I think it being Star Wars automatically gets it good reviews.

TLJ was garbage. I'll still see Solo, but I won't be listening to any reviews beforehand

• 2 weeks later...

That's about the best they could do with the anthology stories. Fett is a completely empty character who is liked solely because he looks cool, so they can do more or less anything with the character and not have to do a checklist of character points like they blatantly have with Solo.

Mangold is a decent director, he should be able to turn something in that's decent at worst, provided the script isn't a car crash and Disney don't meddle too much.

• Like 1

the reviews ive read for solo make it sound like its a box ticker which is just about good enough to avoid criticism whilst at the same time not doing anything to get praise, if you're not a star wars fan it's bang average

My wife and kid went to see Solo yesterday.  For starters I was more than a little annoyed that they went without me, but when my kid gave it a 4/10 review, bordering on a 3 I was not so bothered.  He has so much star wars stuff in his room it is silly, he is 12 years old and should be an easy sell for a star wars movie.  That he came back saying he was bored does not speak well of it.  I may even wait for the rental to be available b4 I see it now.  My wife didn't like it either, but I have long since learned to ignore all of her movie reviews.  She likes movies that require you to get through an entire box of tissues and not in the fun way, she was never going to like it.

• Haha 3

Â