Match Thread

theboyangel

Really enjoyed that second half. Great football, plenty of chances and like a new team.

Bent, Hutton, Gardner, nzogbia, Richardson and herd all looking good.

I'd agree, they all looked very sharp and add Baker to that list, he made some good challenges at the back.

A push for Europe on the back of this??

It's funny, I loved the way we played in the 1st half but scored none and conceded one.

2nd half, we score three and concede none XD

This is what happened during the course of the 90 minute match.

• Like 1

Not surprise Hutton looked good, as a wing back he can be more attacking which is what he's better at, but at fullback he gets caught out of position too often!

He fits in well with the rest of our fullbacks then.

Went to the game as it was fairly local for me.  Wasn't impressed at all with Tonev; Lowton opened up a lot of space for him but he often wasted it.  Was guilty at least once of having his typical blast at goal when the pass was a better option too.  Carruthers also looked poor, unfortunately.  Okore was good, and I thought Bacuna did pretty well.  Cole good too, such a shame he doesn't have that little burst of pace to push into the space he can open up in front of him.  Hopefully he'll forge a decent understanding with Delph after a few more games.

Second half Bent did what he does best and hopefully we'll see more of that against sterner defences come August.  El Ahmadi generally used the ball well and I thought Herd looked tidy.  Hutton, to my horror, was impressive and N'Zogbia showed he has something about him - some lovely quick close control but also got his head down and ran into a few too many bodies once or twice.  Baker didn't seem convincing, for me.  Steer composed, Weimann energetic, Gardner and Westwood fairly solid.

Main thing I came out of it thinking was that Hutton, Zog and Bent should all improve the squad - although I still shudder at the thought of Hutton's performances during his last season in a Villa shirt.

• Like 1

Went to the game as it was fairly local for me.  Wasn't impressed at all with Tonev; Lowton opened up a lot of space for him but he often wasted it.  Was guilty at least once of having his typical blast at goal when the pass was a better option too.  Carruthers also looked poor, unfortunately.  Okore was good, and I thought Bacuna did pretty well.  Cole good too, such a shame he doesn't have that little burst of pace to push into the space he can open up in front of him.  Hopefully he'll forge a decent understanding with Delph after a few more games.

Second half Bent did what he does best and hopefully we'll see more of that against sterner defences come August.  El Ahmadi generally used the ball well and I thought Herd looked tidy.  Hutton, to my horror, was impressive and N'Zogbia showed he has something about him - some lovely quick close control but also got his head down and ran into a few too many bodies once or twice.  Baker didn't seem convincing, for me.  Steer composed, Weimann energetic, Gardner and Westwood fairly solid.

Main thing I came out of it thinking was that Hutton, Zog and Bent should all improve the squad - although I still shudder at the thought of Hutton's performances during his last season in a Villa shirt.

I agree, Hutton was MOM second half - can't believe I've said it, but there you go. One game doesn't make a season, but the second half gave me a lot more confidence for the season ahead. N'Zog and Richardson had good bursts of speed and skill, and bent did what he always does and what we need! score goals. I hope they all get at chance in the league.

Our first half performance was dire. OKore and Bacuna did well! but delph's first touch was shocking. That first half performance reminded me too much if last season, and if we play like that, we'll be relegated for sure.

Okore Cole and Bacuna 1st half stood out for me and then Hutton Richardson Bent Nzog and Gardner in the 2nd. That could be 7 NEW players technically for us this season. Madness! In all a good run out only one thing that annoyed me was how many times do you have to ask Keane to wave? Once fair enough but it must have been knocking on 10 times! Are people that starstruck?

Caruthers is recovering from a serious injury as well isn't he? May take a bit of time before he gets up and going again.

I think a few looked a bit off the pace. Carruthers seemed to be trying to hard he'd be better with a Westwood alongside him keeping the ball moving rather than doing too much too deep. That's Delphs biggest problem!

Weimann did well. Lets hope he feels he has a point to prove this season after letting his standards dramatically slip last year. Played some decent stuff for our first game back but lets not forget it was against Mansfield trialists XI. The Parma game coming up should be a good test.

Â