Group G: GER POR GHA USA

limpid

The USA may do all right: the players will be more used to the climate and travel distances than at least the Germans and Portuguese.

There's not an MLS player that hasn't experienced, say, Seattle on Saturday, D.C. on Thursday, and Chicago on Sunday.

While I think the USA could theoretically surprise people, I have to say Jurgen's right -- we're not ready. Germany and Portugal to advance. I would love for Jurgen to be wrong, of course.

In a similar vein, the USA-Portugal game is in Manaus where the climate's not that different from, the southeastern US, and the turf condition looks likely to favor the less-skilled side. Klinsmann could decide to play McLeish or Lambert football for the first half and soak up pressure and tire out Portugal.

The USA may do all right: the players will be more used to the climate and travel distances than at least the Germans and Portuguese.

There's not an MLS player that hasn't experienced, say, Seattle on Saturday, D.C. on Thursday, and Chicago on Sunday.

I don't quite understand the travel thing. Are the european based players going to get on a plane between matches and totally forget how to play football?

I think Ghana have a better chance than the US unfortunately. Americans back 4 is awful and Altidore is still the main man up front, he might be able to do it against poor sides in friendlies, but he's a pretty awful player and not cut out for the World Cup.

Time spent on airplanes decreases athletic performance for a few days after, unless one's body is used to it.

You're not going to see these effects in the opening games, but as we go further into the tournament, players who have played in leagues where you're regularly flying for hours between games (e.g. USA, Russia, Australia) are going to have an advantage, especially late in games.

I don't quite understand the travel thing. Are the european based players going to get on a plane between matches and totally forget how to play football?

This type of logic could also apply to homefield advantage as a whole.

Time spent on airplanes decreases athletic performance for a few days after, unless one's body is used to it.

You're not going to see these effects in the opening games, but as we go further into the tournament, players who have played in leagues where you're regularly flying for hours between games (e.g. USA, Russia, Australia) are going to have an advantage, especially late in games.

On top of that, you are playing at differing latitudes. Stinking hot one game, freezing cold the next.