Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

"The majority of the England squad was what most people would pick, but only one or two who would have got in other international sides. If you look across the Premier League, we do not have as good players as other countries. The best players in the best teams always make the difference and we haven't got enough of them.

"Uruguay were fighting for their lives, you could tell they were wounded after defeat to Costa Rica and they showed passion. The reaction when we went a goal down showed we were capable of playing at a higher tempo, so why didn't 't we start that way? We could have gone at Italy or Uruguay from the off and we didn't do that."

Danny Murphy talks sense IMO.

It wasnt the squad id have taken. I wouldn't have took Welbeck, Gerrard, Johnson or Henderson. For me Rooney would be an impact sub. Lambert & Sturridge for me up front with Lallana just behind them, Milner, Barkley & Sterling in the middle. Id have kept Baines, Cahill & Jagielka but had Shaw with them Hart in goal.

We still may have been beaten but at least we may have shown more desire, courage & passion.

Edited by Ingram85

Blame has to lay squarely with Hodgson

He bought into the hype of Tony Daley part 2 who has no end product , he picked Baines over Cole who clearly is twice the player Baines will ever be , he picked Wellbeck and if that wasn't bad enough he then played him in Midfield , he played Rooney at LM , he picked Henderson and the icing on the cake was picking Gerrard who is clearly past it

Look at the other decent teams in this World Cup and they play with 2 banks of 4 pretty much all the time , and you also see the teams in the champions league do it ... It seems to be the way football is lately

Then you see England and we have full backs playing as wing backs and 2 invisible men in CM midfield and strikers masquerading as midfielders and then plan B is to just chuck more players on and not give them any defined position

Sterling may be a player you bring on to run at tired legs but he isn't up to the job just yet

Only England player after 2 games with any real credit is Sturridge the rest have been very meh ...

English football is in a poor state so we shouldn't kid ourselves we are good enough but we could at least pick some players with some passion and fight and pick players in positions that suit them

Of course the FA are clueless and will probably give Hodgson a new contract at the end of this

you may be wrong with politics but there aint a lot wrong with that

Four more years!

You can't blame Hodgson that much, the players are shit, and the supposed next generation of players are just as overly hyped up than the previous 'golden generation' of players which admittedly usually got to the quarter finals but usually had far easier groups. Remember the 2010 World Cup-USA, Algeria and Slovenia and we still only just through.

1 win and 1 semi final in over 60 years of trying suggests to me that England have and always will be a second tier side at best in world football. Uruguay have a far better record than us and the entire population of that country could fit into London twice with room to spare.

A thought just occurred, don't we all remember being down and out of qualifying for Euro 2008 - when it was out of our hands until Israel did the unthinkable and got a result which resulted in England just needing a point at home in the final game of qualification to head off to the finals!

I can't recall how it ended, but there's still hope!

The trouble is we have to rely on Italy winning both their remaining games and that's not the sort of thing they do. In fact I am expecting the Azzuri to scrape out of the group on goal difference, which seems to be the way they do it most WCs.

What i don't understand is the debate In the buildup to the game was all about where to play wayne rooney in that system

Did it not occur to Uncle Woy that he could actually change the system and play say a 4-4-2 instead or maybe a 3-5-2 or a more narrow 4-3-3 with Wilshere Gerrard and Henderson in the middle

Why did we have to persist with that formation and not change it at all seemed pretty lazy to me all teams play differently what may have been effective in spells against the Italians was shown up to be pretty ineffective against Uruguay completely different side in terms of players and style of play we needed to adjust and change tactics we didn't and that's why were out 

Edited by AshVilla

Surely having to sing 'god save our gracious queen...long to reign over us' puts you guys on a downer before you even begin. I'd be embarrassed. Try changing your national anthem.

On a more practical note, try teaching home grown kids to pass.

Where are you from, Kingfisher? Just out of interest? I'm not going to go anywhere xenophobic with this, I'm just curious.

Changing the national anthem won't do anything, and our home grown kids can pass, they just don't do it quick enough.

We should have our kids play Futsal from an early age like other countries do.

Wales.

England never look like they can find each other with a pass. I think there is still too much emphasis on the physical side of the game throughout the UK. Not enough skill or intelligence.

I'm not one for patriotism or anthems, but god save the queen? If there's anything good or healthy about defining yourself under the colours of a flag the words to that song completely eliminates it.

Now I've been caught on camera next to Suarez on the bench, I have to admit I actually play for Uruguay and am pleased with this result.

celebration-getty_2948612b.jpg

Here I am celebrating with me old mukka

I'm not a fan of patriotism either, but I really don't think a national anthem is an issue football-wise.

I also don't really know why you're singling English football out since Welsh football is pretty much the same animal.

Edited by Ginko

Surely having to sing 'god save our gracious queen...long to reign over us' puts you guys on a downer before you even begin. I'd be embarrassed. Try changing your national anthem.

On a more practical note, try teaching home grown kids to pass.

Where are you from, Kingfisher? Just out of interest? I'm not going to go anywhere xenophobic with this, I'm just curious.

Changing the national anthem won't do anything, and our home grown kids can pass, they just don't do it quick enough.

We should have our kids play Futsal from an early age like other countries do.

Wales.

England never look like they can find each other with a pass. I think there is still too much emphasis on the physical side of the game throughout the UK. Not enough skill or intelligence.

I'm not one for patriotism or anthems, but god save the queen? If there's anything good or healthy about defining yourself under the colours of a flag the words to that song completely eliminates it.

That notion depends on the idea that the players and the fans singing it actually give thought to what they are singing, which if we are all honest they probably don't

I can quite honestly say that whilst it was playing earlier I didn't listen to the words thinking how does that reflect on me in 2014...

It is what it is

Blaming the manager again is pointless, England's squad is just bang average.

The England players are more famous than Uruguay's or even Italy's but they are not better. 

Finishing 3rd in this group is about your level. 

• Like 2

Blaming the manager again is pointless, England's squad is just bang average.

The England players are more famous than Uruguay's or even Italy's but they are not better.

Finishing 3rd in this group is about your level.

Greece won a European championship with an average side and Wigan also won an FA cup with a below average side

I agree with you that are players aren't very good don't get me wrong but Roy was the one who picked the wrong players the wrong formations etc and he's clearly from the wrong era and lacking any clue

• Like 4

Its very easy to be critical of Hodgson after the event. Sterling was our best player against Italy so why wouldn't you start him for the Uruguay game. What other cbs would you pick? Yes Cole for Baines maybe but he's hardly played a game for Chelsea all season. Maybe he should have gone with Shaw because of his extra pace. I don't rate Welbeck! He hasn't got enough quality. We probably missed Townsend. He would have been a good option to come off the bench.....Maybe he should have picked Carrick because we lack that type of midfield player. But we dont have a world class player like Suarez. Two chances two goals. Rooney 3 great chances in this world cup and 1 goal.

I thought Geoff's point was about blaming Woy and only Woy.

Sorry if I got that wrong.

We haven't got great players and we have an okay manager - why is it a surprise if we look like slinking home after the group stages?

That performance really was the stuff of legends from Suarez. First game back less than a month after knee surgery, a brace in a 2-1 win to keep his country in the World Cup and really beat a superior side.

• Like 1