Ghost stories

PussEKatt

I never had believed in ghosts and stuff as such, until there was 2 incidents in the pub i used to drink in that opened my mind to it a bit more. The manager of the pub once said to us that it was haunted and she had seen things happen in there etc. At the time i didnt take much notice of it. The one night i was playing pool with my mate, our table being no more than a 2/3 metres away, absolutely noone around us. I turned to pick my pint up from the table, as i glanced at it, it fell on the floor. I looked at my mate thinking i had somehow knocked it over, but he was looking at me saying WHAT ?? did you see that!!! We both agreed that the pint had come off the table somehow by itself, and there was no way i had knocked it as i hadnt even moved from the table.

The other time was the pub was completely dead the one sunday night, about 4 of us were in there chatting to some of the staff at the bar, when a glass smashes in the one corner of the pub, everyone turns round amd there is no1 in the pub apart from me and my mates and 2 bar staff behind the bar.

Proper weird... Crap story like but I now kind of believe there is something out there but not sure what i believe it is ?

Edited by leighavfc

3 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

I never had believed in ghosts and stuff as such, until there was 2 incidents in the pub i used to drink in that opened my mind to it a bit more. The manager of the pub once said to us that it was haunted and she had seen things happen in there etc. At the time i didnt take much notice of it. The one night i was playing pool with my mate, our table being no more than a 2/3 metres away, absolutely noone around us. I turned to pick my pint up from the table, as i glanced at it, it fell on the floor. I looked at my mate thinking i had somehow knocked it over, but he was looking at me saying WHAT ?? did you see that!!! We both agreed that the pint had come off the table somehow by itself, and there was no way i had knocked it as i hadnt even moved from the table.

The other time was the pub was completely dead the one sunday night, about 4 of us were in there chatting to some of the staff at the bar, when a glass smashes in the one corner of the pub, everyone turns round amd there is no1 in the pub apart from me and my mates and 2 bar staff behind the bar.

Proper weird... Crap story like but I now kind of believe there is something out there but not sure what i believe it is ?

No disrespect but there are millions of anecdotes like this all over the Internet. There would have been a simple scientific reason why the glass fell over. Gravity would be my guess. But aside from all that, it's amazing how none of these 'incidents' are ever captured on film, in a world where there are cctv cameras on every corner and where people are never more than an arms reach away from their camera phone. 

To believe in ghosts is like believing in any fictional character, such as the tooth fairy, god, father christmas etc.... None of those have a shred of evidence either. And they never will.

• Like 1

When I was a child I used to see a lot of things, people, body parts floating around or at rest, animals (gorilla, talking duck, ect) but at the time I didn't really attribute it to anything 'supernatural' because my idea of a ghost then was a white sheet floating around. Looking back I was obviously experiencing some sort of hallucinations.

Edited by useless

5 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

No disrespect but there are millions of anecdotes like this all over the Internet. There would have been a simple scientific reason why the glass fell over. Gravity would be my guess. But aside from all that, it's amazing how none of these 'incidents' are ever captured on film, in a world where there are cctv cameras on every corner and where people are never more than an arms reach away from their camera phone. 

To believe in ghosts is like believing in any fictional character, such as the tooth fairy, god, father christmas etc.... None of those have a shred of evidence either. And they never will.

Yeah maybe so and you are probably right about it being supernatural, it was very strange. It could have been a scientific reason but then it also could have been something supernatural aswell.l dont 100% believe there is or there isnt supernatural things to be honest. I completly agree that its srange that nothing has really been caught on camera as of yet and that is where my doubt comes from about it all.

30 minutes ago, useless said:

When I was a child I used to see a lot of things, people, body parts floating around or at rest, animals (gorilla, talking duck, ect) but at the time I didn't really attribute it to anything 'supernatural' because my idea of a ghost then was a white sheet floating around. Looking back I was obviously experiencing some sort of hallucinations.

"Oh look, a body part...ha, weird. What's tha... OH MY CHRIST, A GORILLA!!"

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Why are ghosts always modern or victorian? You never see stone age ghosts or roman times ghosts.

And why do they only 'appear' to one person at a time, you never see one on the centre circle at Wembley for example, in front of 90,000 people. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, One For The Road said:

There's a reason why nobody has ever captured a legitimate photo or video of paranormal activity. That reason is because it's a load of ****.  Tens of billions of people, and animals, have lived on Earth over the last 4 billion years and yet not ONE ghost has EVER been recorded.  

Recording equipment wasn't the best in the primordial soup

Ghosts would be difficult to see you'd imagine because seeing them or experiencing their presence wouldn't really provide any evolutionary advantage. If we were to see ghosts, it would require them to tap into what our senses can interpret, which I'd say would be quite difficult. And they're probably too busy pushing around quarks and all the things that make up quarks to concern themselves with putting on their visible to humans jacket. 

There could well be a universe where when people are about to die, scientists do science and they come back as holograms of themselves that might look like ghosts, but really it's just a computer programme. When people claim to see ghosts in this universe maybe they're just looking at a bit of that other universe that has vomited into ours by accident, like a hiccup that got away from it. 

I wouldn't rule out anything. Except ghosts. Ghosts are the only thing I'm ruling out. If I get **** haunted tonight by a ghost, I'm going to be so **** upset with this site.

Presumably ghosts are not restricted by the laws of physics and gravity would not apply to them. 

That always gave me the following amusing thought:

The earth is spinning very very fast and on top of that it is hurtling through space on an orbit around the sun. We are held in place on the earths surface by gravity. 

I can imagine a person dying, then waking up as a ghost only to realise that the earth has traveled off into the distance and they are stuck floating in space haunting the general area of space where they died :P

I think you would potentially have the same problem as a time traveler. Not only would you have use your time machine to travel back/forward in time, you'd also have to make sure the earth is in the correct location when you got there or you'd open up your time machine and see earth off in the distance, half-way round the sun. 

Edited by LondonLax

10 hours ago, leighavfc said:

Yeah maybe so and you are probably right about it being supernatural, it was very strange. It could have been a scientific reason but then it also could have been something supernatural aswell.l dont 100% believe there is or there isnt supernatural things to be honest. I completly agree that its srange that nothing has really been caught on camera as of yet and that is where my doubt comes from about it all.

You can't say something might be supernatural until you've established that there is such a thing as supernatural. By definition if something is beyond nature then it can't interact with nature. Therefore "supernatural" can't explain ghosts.

Doesn't supernatural just mean something that's unexplained by science, rather than something that exists outside of nature. Lots of things are unexplained by science, doesn't mean to say that they exist outside of the laws of the universe.

38 minutes ago, useless said:

Doesn't supernatural just mean something that's unexplained by science, rather than something that exists outside of nature. Lots of things are unexplained by science, doesn't mean to say that they exist outside of the laws of the universe.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/super-

super-
Word Origin
a prefix occurring originally in loanwords from Latin, with the basic meaning “above, beyond.”

Of course like so many words it's been dumbed down to something generic or incorrect after years of misuse. The correct phrase to use for something not yet explained by science is "not yet explained by science".

Lots of things are dumbed down, and get mechanically repeated by those who don't really have intuition for what they're saying actually means, but because it sounds scientific they just repeat it dogmatically. Everything should be questioned.

• Like 1

Â