Ghost stories

PussEKatt

I remember the once being in a biggish room and bag of nuts and bolts dropped from the ceiling out of nowhere, just like that. No one else was in the room and there was no where that they could have fallen from, they just appeared from nowhere.  By then I was a man of enlightened reasoning, so I didn't attribute it to ghosts, maybe the laws of quantum mechanics had traversed momentarily into the more classical realm of our everyday existence, I don't know, but I'm sure strange things happen, with or without 'ghosts'.

55 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

we honestly know so little about the universe and what happens when we die. not everything is black and white.

This is a logical fallacy called "appeal to ignorance".

When we die, our body stops working and the processes which replace dying cells stop which leads to us decomposing. We live on only in the memories of others. There isn't anything else.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, limpid said:

This is a logical fallacy called "appeal to ignorance".

When we die, our body stops working and the processes which replace dying cells stop which leads to us decomposing. We live on only in the memories of others. There isn't anything else.

you cant say that because you dont know that. i know your clearly opposed to it and thats perfectly rationale but thinking and believing there is something else is also rationale imo.  some scientists are coming round to the idea that the afterlife is a possibility. 

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

you cant say that because you dont know that. i know your clearly opposed to it and thats perfectly rationale but thinking and believing there is something else is also rationale imo.  some scientists are coming round to the idea that the afterlife is a possibility. 

Feel free to provide evidence for your claim. You are now also using the fallacy of an "appeal to authority".

I'm not opposed to it in any way. I don't believe your claim to be true due to the complete and utter lack of any evidence to back it up. It would be easy to change my mind; produce evidence.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

oh i am, so i can come and haunt limpid and prove to him.

So that I can also present personal anecdotes as facts? Even if I saw a ghost right now in front of me in this room, I wouldn't believe it was a ghost. Although it would then have an opportunity to provide evidence that it was indeed a ghost, rather than a fault in my cognitive processes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Were ghosts to be real, the sheer numbers would be ridiculous.

Presumably everything could become a ghost (you hear about people setting ghost cats and dogs so presumably there's not a hierarchy at all), you'd spend all day wading through the ghostly mist of trillions of bacteria, you'd have to watch out for Iron Age foragers as you did a shit in the morning, phantom cows would wander in front of the telly all evening.

Even if you assumed only humans were somehow special enough to ascend to ghosthood, and that somehow only a few that matched the correct criteria managed it, there have been so many humans at this point they'd be every where, constantly. And ghosts would be a boom industry as well, as more and more humans are about and more and more keep dying. Hospitals would be absolutely full of them.

it does sounds a stupid idea the way you describe it. the universe has no boundaries or no sign telling you you've come to the end of the road, its unlimited space there is no end. 

24 minutes ago, limpid said:

So that I can also present personal anecdotes as facts? Even if I saw a ghost right now in front of me in this room, I wouldn't believe it was a ghost. Although it would then have an opportunity to provide evidence that it was indeed a ghost, rather than a fault in my cognitive processes.

see, even if you saw a ghost you would put it down to something else. ive had several incidents sober and straight, i actually followed an old lady for several minutes one early morning before shes faded into a building and no i wasn't pissed or high. that morning i shall never forget but to a skeptic like yourself what would you say it was?

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

see, even if you saw a ghost you would put it down to something else.

If I see something I can't explain I don't immediately jump to conclusions as to what it is. Even if I did react immediately, on reflection I would evaluate it rationally.

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

ive had several incidents sober and straight, i actually followed an old lady for several minutes one early morning before shes faded into a building and no i wasn't pissed or high. that morning i shall never forget but to a skeptic like yourself what would you say it was?

It's a pity you didn't record it. I've no idea what your state of mind was; you might have been tired or distracted. Human conciousness records our memories after the event and rewrites them continuously. We are terrible recording devices which is why eyewitness reports alone can't secure a legal conviction. I am comfortable saying that I don't know what you saw.

10 minutes ago, limpid said:

If I see something I can't explain I don't immediately jump to conclusions as to what it is. Even if I did react immediately, on reflection I would evaluate it rationally.

It's a pity you didn't record it. I've no idea what your state of mind was; you might have been tired or distracted. Human conciousness records our memories after the event and rewrites them continuously. We are terrible recording devices which is why eyewitness reports alone can't secure a legal conviction. I am comfortable saying that I don't know what you saw.

fair comment. easy to put it down to tiredness or whatever but its also a possibility it was a ghost.

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

fair comment. easy to put it down to tiredness or whatever but its also a possibility it was a ghost.

I think it's just as likely that you saw the tooth fairy.

But

Just now, useless said:

I don't understand the mechanics behind it but apparently, according to quantum mechanics, it's possible for a human to walk through a wall. Although it's astronomically improbable.

But more probable than a ghost.

22 minutes ago, limpid said:

There's a reason why nobody has ever captured a legitimate photo or video of paranormal activity. That reason is because it's a load of ****.  Tens of billions of people, and animals, have lived on Earth over the last 4 billion years and yet not ONE ghost has EVER been recorded.  If ghosts existed there would be millions of ghosts in every street and every room of every building in the world. Yet they just happen to never appear on camera...

Absolute nonsense of the highest order.

• Like 2

Anyone who don't believe in ghosts (not saying I do), go do a ouija board at midnight tonight, set the scene. Try contact someone who you know has died recently, an let us all know the verdict tomorrow.

Or look in the mirror and say the Lords pray backwards. I heard shit can happen with that too.

As I said i'm not a believer, but I think I would pass, heard alot of stories this shit works, maybe not the latter.

Â