Ghost stories

PussEKatt

14 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

everything gets dismissed. ive seen enough stuff and know enough people who have experienced supernatural occurences, and not all my experiences were drug related. as i said some believe and some dont.

Yet never any conclusive evidence? Same as aliens and Bigfoot. Any photos/videos claiming something exists look like they have been taken with a potato. 

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Maybe ghosts are clever enough not to leave any evidence (they are supernatural beings, after all).

And what makes you think that anything can be "supernatural"? And if something existed which was outside of nature, how would it interact with nature in a way that you (anyone) could discern?

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

And what makes you think that anything can be "supernatural"? And if something existed which was outside of nature, how would it interact with nature in a way that you (anyone) could discern?

Well that was rather the point of this post

15 minutes ago, useless said:

If something can be destroyed by the truth then it should be destroyed by the truth. And the truth is that no one knows if 'they' exist or not.

Just now, useless said:

Well that was rather the point of this post

It was? How?

I don't think you understand the burden of proof. If someone claims that ghosts exist they need to provide evidence, not anecdotes and personal experience. It's for the maker of a claim to justify their claim, not for everyone else to prove that it's not true.

I don't believe in ghosts in the same way I don't believe in Nessie or fairies or gods, because there is no evidence that they exist. I can't prove they don't.

• Like 1

Having recently spent the best part of a month on jury service I understand the burden of proof all too well, and I'm not really sure how anything I've written suggests otherwise.  The rest of your post doesn't make sense either, at least not in reply to anything I've written.

I don't believe or disbelieve in ghosts, because there is no conclusive evidence that they do or don't exist.

16 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't believe or disbelieve in ghosts, because there is no conclusive evidence that they do or don't exist.

It's logically impossible to prove a negative claim.

18 minutes ago, useless said:

It might be impossible but that's not proof that something doesn't exist.

You can't prove something doesn't exist. It's a logical fallacy to suggest that you can.

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

By definition then you must believe that all religions are true, aliens exist and Elvis is still alive. 

No, what are you talking about? I'm just saying that just because you can't proof that something doesn't exist, that in itself isn't proof that said thing doesn't exist.

Opening the office last year, I found our work's caser football in the middle of the floor with a big hole torn in it.

Thinking it was one of the management with a bee in his bonnet, we recalled the CCTV footage to see whose wrath we might be facing?

Alas the ball's starting position wasn't covered, falling between two cameras, but its final resting position was.

Sure enough, long before I appear to open up and deactivate the alarm, the ball rolls into shot.

We were all scratching our heads after that. The thermostats aren't on timers, we turn heating on when we get in. So heat expansion seemed unlikely. There's not much food around, and what's about is inaccessible. Never seen vermin or even signs of their presence. We'd also been kicking the ball about the day the before. If it had been on the edge of catastrophic failure, you'd have thought it would have gone then.

Not suggesting there was a supernatural agent involved, but on the surface, it is quite difficult to explain.

Edited by Xann
Grammar

9 minutes ago, useless said:

It doesn't follow from anything I've written that I believe that all religions are true, aliens exist and Elvis is still alive.

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Prove you don't...

Nor does it follow from anything I've written that I don't believe that all religions are true, aliens exist and Elvis is still alive. Just because I'm saying that something may or may not exist that doesn't mean I'm not highly skeptical indeed, of it's existence.

Â