Ghost stories

PussEKatt

16 minutes ago, BOF said:

'Winds me up' is one way of putting it.  My mother died almost 2 years ago.  My mother and sister were very very close.  Like in each other's pocket every day close.  So when my mother died, my sister was completely lost.  She was very impressionable, depressed and directionless.  In her desperation she went to one of these psychics who told her that our mother was very happy in a good place, and that she was looking down on us and that she really missed us and was now waiting for us.  Not one month later my sister committed suicide 'to be with her mother'.  I consider that psychic to be at least a part of why my sister did what she did.  She had been considering doing it, but to hear what she heard from someone who she must have had some amount of trust in; it's not unreasonable to suggest this person gave her the scenario she was looking for (re-united and happy) and sent her down that path.

That's why these people are not just some fairground curiosity.  When they're talking into the wrong ear (usually an impressionable one) they are proper **** dangerous and can have real-world consequences.

An impossible post to 'like', but very well written and makes an extremely important point. 

Sorry for the loss, that must have been devastating. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

'Winds me up' is one way of putting it.  My mother died almost 2 years ago.  My mother and sister were very very close.  Like in each other's pocket every day close.  So when my mother died, my sister was completely lost.  She was very impressionable, depressed and directionless.  In her desperation she went to one of these psychics who told her that our mother was very happy in a good place, and that she was looking down on us and that she really missed us and was now waiting for us.  Not one month later my sister committed suicide 'to be with her mother'.  I consider that psychic to be at least a part of why my sister did what she did.  She had been considering doing it, but to hear what she heard from someone who she must have had some amount of trust in; it's not unreasonable to suggest this person gave her the scenario she was looking for (re-united and happy) and sent her down that path.

That's why these people are not just some fairground curiosity.  When they're talking into the wrong ear (usually an impressionable one) they are proper **** dangerous and can have real-world consequences.

I'm truly sorry for your tragic loss. This is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about, and although “winds me up” isn’t near strong enough for the scenario you’ve described, I hope you see that I fully agree with you appraisal of psychics as being dangerous. Thanks for sharing your story mate, it must be hard to tell people what happened. It’s stories like this that will hopefully educate those susceptible to the kind of nonsense psychics pedal, and hopefully help stop things like the awful thing that happened to you, happening to others.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

Thank you everyone for the messages, but I posted that story more as a warning and as a very real example of what those people are, even if they don't intend those consequences.  Yes I think most of us are on the same page when it comes to clairvoyants or whatever they wish to call themselves.  My point was do not trivialise or marginalise these people as it allowed them to operate unchallenged.  The fact that they exist means there are enough people out there who do believe in it.  What they do isn't harmless.  It isn't a bit of fun and it isn't merely comforting someone even if that's the intention.  They are con artists.  They prey on the weak.  They prey on people who pay to hear confirmation bias.  Their trick is finding out what that message needs to be.

Oh and to lighten it up slightly and get back more on topic, no I don't believe in ghosts or ghoulies or in anything supernatural :)

Don't worry , I'm gonna slap the first cyclist , psychiatrist or sidekick I see . 

• Like 3

A few years ago my brother was splitting from his wife and kids and was in quite a mess emotionally. Suffering from acute anxiety brought on by the thought of not living or seeing his daughter everyday. He was really vulnerable and I was constantly worried about him and checking up on him. 

One day he tells me that he did a stress test off somebody who collared him walking in the centre of brum. Obviously he was off the scale. He then went to meet someone who apparently could help him. Anyway, the short story is, these people were scientologists, and part of his treatment would be counselling other people with emotional problems!!! He was also asked to make contributions toward there funds. 

Luckily, my brother saw all this for what it was, and he also had his family around him to steer him in the right direction. Now, people can believe in whatever they like, and if it helps them through the ups and downs of life then thats fine. What really upsets me, and makes my blood boil, is people preaching their shit to troubled souls, who, quite obviously in the case of my brother, needed a doctor, medication and professional counselling.

Sorry for your loss BOF

• Like 3

Â