Teacher is slain in front of her class!

John

Some people, myself included, might say that people who are inherently evil have issues and mental disorders. Do you know what one of the major signs of a psychopath is? It's lack of empathy for other people. They don't think about how others feel and therefore don't care. Lack of empathy is a social disorder and therefore an 'issue'.

An empathy deficit is prominent in the Autism spectrum as well. I think there are probably a lot more people with Autism and Asperger's than who are psychopaths or sociopaths. Like the school shooter in Connecticut. Asperger's Syndrome. Total lack of empathy.

Indeed. How is over simplifying the situation by claiming that people are just evil - despite the fact we know little about the kid in question - going to help? I'm not saying this kid can necessarily be cured, but if his issues had been diagnosed and addressed earlier then perhaps this whole affair and future instances could be avoided. Suggesting 'oh well, we just have evil people sometimes' is as bad as saying 'shit happens'. Nothing will change with that kind of thinking.

As stated in General Chat, you give children the best chance they can get, whether in mainstream or a special school. Some are just born with certain conditions that need controlling and some parents aren't fit to control them. Some are failed by schools. For some it's a bit of both. All we can do is try and get them to be the best citizens they can be.

I don't believe that people are born evil. 

• Like 1

The point I was trying to make, albeit not very good by the sound of it, was that sometimes you can't predict random acts of evil. He may well not be evil, but could have quite easily have committed an evil act, while being mentally sound and giving no indication he had any issues. 

I just worry that people are going to try find excuses and pin the blame on someone other than the offender (eg -social services, health service etc). These departments have a difficult enough job anyway, let alone, trying to predict random acts of violence from people. 

• Like 1

Reports, on one newspaper's website inparticular you can probably guess, already suggesting he was a gamer, specifically 'obsessed with Dark Souls'.

The point I was trying to make, albeit not very good by the sound of it, was that sometimes you can't predict random acts of evil. He may well not be evil, but could have quite easily have committed an evil act, while being mentally sound and giving no indication he had any issues. 

I don't honestly believe that anyone, let alone a 15-year-old kid, would repeatedly stab someone in the back and neck if they were of sound mind. The piece even said the kid had a history of depression.

Reports, on one newspaper's website inparticular you can probably guess, already suggesting he was a gamer, specifically 'obsessed with Dark Souls'.

Well it's the games fault then.  In fact I'm avoiding any potential VT meet ups because I know a few of you play that.

I hate that.

Every flipping teenager plays computer games.

Holy shit. This teenager was obsessed with junk food.

McDonalds made him do it!!!

I don't honestly believe that anyone, let alone a 15-year-old kid, would repeatedly stab someone in the back and neck if they were of sound mind. The piece even said the kid had a history of depression.

Something else that could be possible triggers are these medications, whose potential side effects are absolutely frightening. Sometimes I think they do more harm.

Playing a game is no indication that you'll go on to act upon what you did in the game in your real life.

For example, I've heard from good sources that Paul Lambert plays Football Manager 2014.

• Like 4

I hate that.

Every flipping teenager plays computer games.

Holy shit. This teenager was obsessed with junk food.

McDonalds made him do it!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twinkie_Defense

• Like 1

The thing that struck me is that he was a smart kid straight A's in every class, I read that he had attempted suicide on a few occasions and that he was bullied.

I can't help but wonder if the kid wasn't severely bullied a at school and something snapped inside him, maybe the teacher was the victim of years of pent up frustration when he just lost his shit. I haven't heard one person say 'he was quiet but he was always a nice enough lad I'm shocked that he has done this' all the things that I have heard other pupils say when being interviewed is ''he was a loner' he was an outcast' he drew pentagrams on the floor' he dyed his hair black and listened to metal music'

I can see a lot of kids that he went to school with almost using this incident as justification for bullying him. If he was to kill himself it would be a different story, he would be the loner who was bullied into taking his own life.

It's a **** terrible thing that has happened but I just think that there is likely more to it than a kid who played dark souls and decided to stab his teacher.

• Like 2

The thing that struck me is that he was a smart kid straight A's in every class, I read that he had attempted suicide on a few occasions and that he was bullied.

I can't help but wonder if the kid wasn't severely bullied a at school and something snapped inside him, maybe the teacher was the victim of years of pent up frustration when he just lost his shit. I haven't heard one person say 'he was quiet but he was always a nice enough lad I'm shocked that he has done this' all the things that I have heard other pupils say when being interviewed is ''he was a loner' he was an outcast' he drew pentagrams on the floor' he dyed his hair black and listened to metal music'

I can see a lot of kids that he went to school with almost using this incident as justification for bullying him. If he was to kill himself it would be a different story, he would be the loner who was bullied into taking his own life.

It's a **** terrible thing that has happened but I just think that there is likely more to it than a kid who played dark souls and decided to stab his teacher.

I had massive amounts of problems at school and I mean huge.  I was that loner type person in school unfortunately,  I had lots of undiagnosed things that were missed until my late 30's FFS (I got meds and a list of stuff wrong but at least I know why now :-)) and I spent most of my middle teens been chased all over the place by various people.  "Evil" is a word that does not belong in this conversation,  I doubt the thoughts were "Do evil",  I genuinely think it was an explode type thing of years of frustration,  I often felt like exploding but I was more inclined to cause my self problems that anyone else,  luckily.

The question that is important here IMO, "was he made or born like this",  I am 100 % in the "made" category on this occasion because if the bullying stories and loner stories are true then the law of averages says one kid will go very wrong.

One of the sickest people on the planet in recent times was bullied by everyone (Mr Pee Wee gaskins is a good example) he ever met in his childhood,  sometimes something snaps and that's it.  (TBF his name did not help his cause).  

• Like 1

Good post that Mr Diamond.

I really do think the whole 'the kid was just Evil' thing is just to totally over-simplify and misdirect, to fail to even bother to start looking at why and the probable mutliple factors and failings that led this kid down this path.

It harks back to an unlightened age when the 'mentally ill' were simply written off as lunatics.

This could be true.I read somewhere that Hitler played Civilization.

Â