The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

10 hours ago, Kingman said:

The Hyperloop one is a step closer to reality and one step further from science fiction. 

First tests done this week in Las Vegas, Google it. 

Wow, looks great!

Like a bigger version of the human tubes used in Futurama :)

That said, it still appears to be many years (like a minimum of 20) before they are actually usable by the public.  I hate travelling.  I mean, I love the getting to places and doing stuff, but I hate the actuall A - B part, so this looks great.

10 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Wow, looks great!

That said, it still appears to be many years (like a minimum of 20) before they are actually usable by the public.  I hate travelling.  I mean, I love the getting to places and doing stuff, but I hate the actuall A - B part, so this looks great.

My thoughts exactly

22 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Wow, looks great!

Its Not really that far off, Freight transportation is expected by 2019 with human passage set for 2021. The guy who owns PayPal (forget his name) pumped millions in about 10 years ago but the project got paused around 2012. Should see a more life size scale prototype by this time next year they reckon.

Edited by Kingman

I've been very tempted the last couple of weeks to gamble and jack in the current job without anything lined up.  Anyone had any experience of doing that?  Just got to the point where I can't be arsed and my manager is useless but going nowhere.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've been very tempted the last couple of weeks to gamble and jack in the current job without anything lined up.  Anyone had any experience of doing that?  Just got to the point where I can't be arsed and my manager is useless but going nowhere.

Why don't you just look for another job whilst remaining employed?

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why don't you just look for another job whilst remaining employed?

Well, I am doing that without much success, but I don't know whether anyone else has had a job where they get so wound up by so many things that it gets a bit unhealthy, plus my work life balance sucks at the mo.  I think I'd regret just quitting, I guess the answer is to just not give a **** as much as possible.

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Like 1

I'm about to give my notice at work and they know it, so they want to have a meeting to convince me to stay. I have another restaurant that wants me, and I'm betting the head chef there won't be as much of a prick as the one who picked a fight with me last week. He slapped food out of my hand and got right up in my face. Big guy, but not tall. I stood my ground and gave him an earful back. He gave a half hearted apology the next day cuz he knew he **** up, but he was so casual about it and also trying to put some blame on me, so I told him I was done. Quasi-violence at work and that kind of negativity from the chef is not acceptable. They have to be shitting it now though, because two other bartenders are leaving next month, just in time for the tourist season. So I have a bit of leverage, which you don't often have in an industry where people are often treated like cattle. We'll see how it all goes...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yep, I've done it, but I've always been someone who has emergency money stashed away, so I'd make sure you can absorb the loss of income. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Well, I am doing that without much success, but I don't know whether anyone else has had a job where they get so wound up by so many things that it gets a bit unhealthy, plus my work life balance sucks at the mo.  I think I'd regret just quitting, I guess the answer is to just not give a **** as much as possible.

Yep. I go though stages feeling the same. A lot of people do, if that gives you any solace!

23 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Had a second interview for a job today. New company.

I'd basically come to the decision that I'd stay at JLR unless the offer from the new company was too good to turn down.

So when the guy interviewing me asked for what sort of salary I wanted, I asked for a huge increase on my current salary.

The guy didn't even bat an eyelid. Said "Great, I'll talk to [the senior manager I'd be reporting to]. I feel very positive so I'll let you know by the end of the week"

Feel very apprehensive about the possibility of leaving JLR, but think it's going to happen :mellow:

Spoke to the recruiter today. They've more or less met what I asked for and making up for the rest with a signing on bonus.

It's made me feel very special, and also quite scared!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Ive been self-employed for over 20 years so yeah many times, You need to find a balance with being impulsive and pragmatic simultaneously.

Edited by Kingman

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Spoke to the recruiter today. They've more or less met what I asked for and making up for the rest with a signing on bonus.

It's made me feel very special, and also quite scared!

Sounds good, any other perks like a car, annual bonus etc?

For me, working from home has become a really nice perk and if I moved jobs it would be a big factor.

Â