The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

48 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sounds good, any other perks like a car, annual bonus etc?

For me, working from home has become a really nice perk and if I moved jobs it would be a big factor.

Up to 10% annual bonus (performance related). No car, but there's a car at the next level up, so same as JLR really.

And they're giving me healthcare and dental, plus they're sponsoring me to do an MBA.

I really don't know what I've done to entice them, but they seem very keen :D

• Like 1

Unfortunately, they're moving me in JLR soon too. Something I've been asking for for ages.

So now all of a sudden I'm having to drag my feet until I get the official offer through so I can resign. Basically had to lie to my boss earlier :(

21 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've been very tempted the last couple of weeks to gamble and jack in the current job without anything lined up.  Anyone had any experience of doing that?  Just got to the point where I can't be arsed and my manager is useless but going nowhere.

Obviously i would say if you can stay in your job and find another, you should definitely do that. By far the best way going forward.

However, a few years ago I quit my job without having another lined up but i was working in Insurance (Lloyds of London Broker) and had decided after 4 years to change my career (to Property)

I had actually made some money in property on the side while working in insurance which prompted me to switch but also supported me while between jobs.

Took a couple of months to get the new job and i started on a 3 month low wage trial period but very happy with where i am now and doubt i would be here without leaving my old job

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Despite the money, I still have serious reservations about this. Genuinely torn :(

Is the simple solution to wait for the offer, then just be completely honest with JLR?

Tell them you are torn and why and then see what they say, if they arnt really interested and have nothing to offer, you probably want to be with the new firm that seem to value you higher anyway.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zak said:

Is the simple solution to wait for the offer, then just be completely honest with JLR?

Tell them you are torn and why and then see what they say, if they arnt really interested and have nothing to offer, you probably want to be with the new firm that seem to value you higher anyway.

Exactly what my missus told me to do. Good advice, thanks.

I think that's what I'm going to do. The recruiter has told me not to do that and all this spiel about if they counter offer then it doesn't mean anything blah blah. But I guess he would say that because he wants the comish.

I'm tempted to tell my boss now, even though I haven't had the official offer through yet. he's on holiday next week so I won't be able to give him my notice until the week after.

If it wasn't for this new role they're arranging for me then it wouldn't be a question. But they've sorted out this new role for me, which is actually really good and should lead to promotion in 12-18 months.

Sod's law both opportunities have come along at once.

Edited by Stevo985

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly what my missus told me to do. Good advice, thanks.

I think that's what I'm going to do.

I'm tempted to tell my boss now, even though I haven't had the official offer through yet. he's on holiday next week so I won't be able to give him my notice until the week after.

If it wasn't for this new role they're arranging for me then it wouldn't be a question. But they've sorted out this new role for me, which is actually really good and should lead to promotion in 12-18 months.

Sod's law both opportunities have come along at once.

You obviously know the situation and people best, but very much advised to wait till after official offer.

What if they took it badly and decided not to give you this new role and then the offer from the other firm never comes in? Probably a very unlikely scenario but not worth the risk just for the sake of speeding everything up

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Despite the money, I still have serious reservations about this. Genuinely torn :(

Its a big decision to leave a company you have worked at for a while. Congrats on the offer!

It would never happen to me as I'm classed as academically unqualified to do the job I'm doing very well at now! I got there through hard work and longevity! If I left to join another company I'm guessing I would have to take a large cut in salary. In a way I'm almost trapped where I am.

But I can imagine the deliberation you are going through. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

I'm thinking about maybe going for a two year degree in computer programming, cuz I don't want to be tending bar at age 55, and I'm done painting houses. I need a cushy desk job...A lot of you guys are computer nerds, what is the most in demand skill in IT right now? I know **** all about it, but I figure even a two year degree could land me a decent paying job...

Whatever you do, do not tell your boss about the other job,  and accept a counter offer.

If there are internal opportunities that sound more appealing to you, go for it, and politely decline the external offer, but if you're using leverage for better internal roles, you are **** yourself, I've seen it loads of times. The second that you make that move, it may seem to your advantage in the short term, but as soon as your boss leaves the room, he's planning for a future without you. They'll keep you around, drain any knowledge you have, and put forward anyone and everyone except you when new opportunities come through, your loyalty is brought in to question.

Keep your cards close to your chest, weigh up the pros and cons, but do NOT reveal to your boss that you've been interviewing and have other offers unless it comes to the point that you'll hand in your notice and walk out the door no matter what.

Edited by Davkaus

Thanks. That's what the recruiter said too. I thought he might just be saying it because he obviously wants me to take the job. But I won't tell them.

Basically I realised that I didn't want them to offer me the job. And then when I realised they were offering it to me, I didn't want them to offer me a higher salary because then I'd be able to turn it down.

Job vs job, the one they've got lined up for me at JLR is better, with a gentlemen's agreement that it'll come with a promotion in 12 months, which I feel like is what I've been working towards for years.

But the other job might be good too, I just don't know it. And they're offering me a pretty substantial pay rise.

It's weird timing. If this had happened a month ago I'd be off. As it is, I'm torn.

Edited by Stevo985

Ok, so at the other company, they're offering you money, what else? Or is that enough? How are you, financially, is the pay  rise from the other place enough to make a significant difference to your life, in the short term? These questions are mostly rhetorical :P 

What's in JLR's favour? You know the people? There's a promotion? What does that promotion entail, will it be as much money as the other company is offering you without the promotion? Is the promotion actually something you want? What does it involve? Are any extra benefits worth the added responsibility?

What are the hours like, what about holiday? Does it seem like work life balance will be the same in both roles?

This is an incredibly personal decision, what motivates people to take a job differs from person to person, it sounds like you want to stay in JLR, but you need to think about why, what makes you want to stay there, and is it really something that won't be the same at your new place.

As a boring anecdote, about 7 months ago, I had a job offer from another company. I was bored shitless at my old company, but I'd been there for years, and I was scared to move elsewhere. The new company offered me more money, a better pension, a better general benefits package, and the only thing I had at the old company were 'friends'. Within weeks of moving, I **** love the guys I work with now, and my old colleagues don't want to know anymore. It's fairly likely you'll make friends at your new place, people generally aren't a great reason to stick around, and nor is loyalty, they'll lay you off the second it makes financial sense.

Edited by Davkaus

Thanks. That's what the recruiter said too. I thought he might just be saying it because he obviously wants me to take the job. But I won't tell them.

Basically I realised that I didn't want them to offer me the job. And then when I realised they were offering it to me, I didn't want them to offer me a higher salary because then I'd be able to turn it down.

Job vs job, the one they've got lined up for me at JLR is better, with a gentlemen's agreement that it'll come with a promotion in 12 months, which I feel like is what I've been working towards for years.

But the other job might be good too, I just don't know it. And they're offering me a pretty substantial pay rise.

It's weird timing. If this had happened a month ago I'd be off. As it is, I'm torn.

Stay with JLR bud. They're a good company to their employees.

If you're confident in your bosses talks, your loyalty will eventually pay dividends.

I've chased money in the past, taken offers that look *too* good, and that's what they've been, too good and actually very, very shit.

If you like where you are, are happy with your prospects, then just be patient and you will do well.

You're right to consider your options. Do whatever makes you happy, and you think is right.

It'll work out in the end.

• Like 1

The pay they're offering me at the new place is more than I'd get when I get promoted at JLR.

It's not just about money. But they've offered me enough at the new place for it to be a major factor. If they were offering me a grand a year more, then I'd be saying no thanks. But they've offered enough for me to think I'd be stupid to turn it down.

Will it make a significant difference to my life? I dunno. Quite possibly.

Money's a pretty good reason to move, to be fair. The more you earn, the more other company's will offer you. But it's not the be all and end all. What's counting against the new job? Is it just fear of change, and wanting to stay loyal, or are there any red flags?

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Money's a pretty good reason to move, to be fair. The more you earn, the more other company's will offer you. But it's not the be all and end all. What's counting against the new job? Is it just fear of change, and wanting to stay loyal, or are there any red flags?

There's no red flags with the new company. I'm actually surprised at how impressive the company is.

My reservation is it's not strictly finance (which is what I do now). It's more focused on data analysis. 

Previously I wanted to stay at JLR and do something more corporate and "real" finance within the company, with a route to promotion. That's exactly what I've been offered.

I was open to other companies if the opportunity was right. In my head that would be similar to what I've just described. As in a finance role that broadens my experience and makes me more employable in future. 

I'm not sure that this role at the other company does that, and that I'm being attracted too much by the money. 
There are other advantages to it mind you. 

When are you expecting to see something in writing from them? I wouldn't mention anything to JLR yet, I've dealt with recruitment agencies in the past and they would say anything to string me along only to drop me at the last moment or put a significantly lower offer in.

Â