The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

Today or start of next week should be the official offer.

I'm literally flipping day to day. Last night I'd decided I was staying. Today I've decided I'm going.

20 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Whatever you do, do not tell your boss about the other job,  and accept a counter offer.

If there are internal opportunities that sound more appealing to you, go for it, and politely decline the external offer, but if you're using leverage for better internal roles, you are **** yourself, I've seen it loads of times. The second that you make that move, it may seem to your advantage in the short term, but as soon as your boss leaves the room, he's planning for a future without you. They'll keep you around, drain any knowledge you have, and put forward anyone and everyone except you when new opportunities come through, your loyalty is brought in to question.

Keep your cards close to your chest, weigh up the pros and cons, but do NOT reveal to your boss that you've been interviewing and have other offers unless it comes to the point that you'll hand in your notice and walk out the door no matter what.

Not saying the above wont happen but i wouldnt say it does happens everytime. I think there are instances were you could accept a counter offer without it negatively effecting your career, especially if you arnt trying to get your current company to beat of even match the offer. Presuming your boss is a logical sound guy, im sure he would understand that although you love where you work and want to continue working there, a substantial pay rise may be too hard to turn down.

I've pretty much made my mind up regarding my decision. I'm leaving.

Just need to wait for the official offer to come through.

I did some maths and worked out exactly how much the extra money would be, what my pension would increase to etc. Plus I've had a day in my "new" JLR role to see what it's like. Whilst it's still good, I think I'd built it up in my head to be better than it was.

I think I'd be stupid to throw away the opportunity at the new company because that JLR role might work out to be really good.

So I think I'm off. My boss is going to be furious. lolz.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've pretty much made my mind up regarding my decision. I'm leaving.

Just need to wait for the official offer to come through.

I did some maths and worked out exactly how much the extra money would be, what my pension would increase to etc. Plus I've had a day in my "new" JLR role to see what it's like. Whilst it's still good, I think I'd built it up in my head to be better than it was.

I think I'd be stupid to throw away the opportunity at the new company because that JLR role might work out to be really good.

So I think I'm off. My boss is going to be furious. lolz.

Still no offer though from the new guys yet, Is there a snag? 

As I said before, I've had a few bad experiences with recruitment agencies so very sceptical of their enthusiasm. 

The HR guy dealing with me at the new company had a family emergency last week. Apparently his sister and her husband both "died suddenly". Assume it was some sort of accident!

So that's the hold up.

Or at least that's what the recruitment guy told me.

But I've not told JLR anything yet, and don't intend to tell them, or close any avenues there, until it's all official.

I just wish I could drag it out for another month so I don't miss out on my bonus :D

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I just wish I could drag it out for another month so I don't miss out on my bonus :D

You should still get it I guess, paid in June for the previous financial year.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

You should still get it I guess, paid in June for the previous financial year.

Nah there's a clause in the bonus scheme that if you hand your notice in before June 28th you don't get it.

Congrats!

FYI In a lot of industries (like banking where bonuses are so important) when accepting a new job offer it will be agreed that that employee will hand in their notice the day after they receive their bonus. I have also known the new firm to pay the equivalent of the bonus as like a signing on bonus (that was a Lloyds of London Underwriter).

Not particularly suggesting you do this especially as they are already offering substantial money just giving you food for thought.

Do your future employers know that is when you would receive your bonus?

A month isnt that long, presuming you get the offer on Tuesday, itll only be 4 weeks!

They're already giving me a signing on bonus to "top up my first year's salary".

I could put off my new employers as I think that they think I have a 3 month notice period! 

But I'm transitioning into a new role at JLR so I'd basically have to accept that role, do it for a couple of weeks and then leave.

It's within the realms of possibility, but I'd be **** over JLR.

48 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I miss out on a very, very generous bonus payment because I joined the company a week or so late. There has to be a cut off somewhere, but arrrrrrgh. :angry:

I remember when I changed from contractor to permanent at my job. 2 weeks after being on the books I got a 6.1% payrise :lol: Couldn't believe it, I think that has been closed off now...

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Any movement on the formal offer?

Yep. I've got it. It's as expected.

I'm definitely taking it. But I've decided I'm going to try and hold tight at JLR and pick up my bonus.
The new company have given me a provisional start date of 1st August, which means I have leeway to stall at JLR.

My roadblock now is if the new company come asking for a reference when I'm sitting tight on handing in my notice!

• Like 2

I accepted a new job 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for a start date. I also had a nightmare with reference checks. Jumping through very specific hoops to explain career gaps, including one that I'm on now due to the waiting for the formal offer and for reference checks...

On the other hand it's given me time to spend £50 on a tiny book that explains my new market that I will get round to reading.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. I've got it. It's as expected.

I'm definitely taking it. But I've decided I'm going to try and hold tight at JLR and pick up my bonus.
The new company have given me a provisional start date of 1st August, which means I have leeway to stall at JLR.

My roadblock now is if the new company come asking for a reference when I'm sitting tight on handing in my notice!

Awesome news mate :thumb:

• Like 1

Â