$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Just as Lerner wanted the entire holdings when he arrived so too would anyone buying the club from him. They wouldn't want him involved even as a silent partner especially with the monumental mess he made of his tenure.

The fact that the Texas Rangers are jointly owned indicates they may be somewhat open to a share agreement with Randy.  The reason for my hunch, is that Randy is a shrewd businessman looking to recover most of his investment - if under new ownership the club's profile was raised, a small share owned by Randy may in the future allow him to recover some of his debt - in effect, such a deal would also reduce the initial outlay for any new owners, sweetening any prospective deal.  Just a hunch.           

I may be being a bit thick here, but how does keeping a small holding help Randy recover his debt?

He'd sell the club and the debt anyway wouldn't he (effectively writing off the debt and adding it to the price of the club). 

As an investment, it's possible that the new owners might increase the value of the club and therefore the value of a share in it, but I don't see why they'd allow him to get a free ride whilst they put their money in to increase the value of the club. If he wanted to help carry the load, then surely he'd be asked to invest at the same sort of proportional rate as the others - it's not like there's a hope in hell that anyone's going to be running this club at a significant profit in the near future.

I don't get it.

I understand what you're saying.  I'm working off the premise that Randy sells his share in the future at a higher price.  Small slice, big pie, so to speak.  I think a stumbling point in any potential takeover negotiations would be the discrepancy between Randy's purchase of Villa at ~ £60m, versus his purported asking price of ~ £200m.  A deal keeping Randy as a minority share, may allow the value of the club including its debts to be factored, while allaying the initial investment of any prospective owner(s).  Any such deal would obviously see future investment in a pro-rata sense, which would reduce Randy's financial burden at the club.  I think it's win-win (maybe not for us), but who knows what these billionaires think.

That being said, if Randy could recoup close to all his investment, I agree he may be happy to run.  Will the new owners want to repay his £140m of debt, however?  Maybe they're all good buddies ...           

These guys are seriously wealthy, and it sounds like they can call on a group of established backers should the need arise. They are also self made billionaires who have succeeded in their businesses to a very high degree.

Randy on the other hand is a well meaning but ineffective "inheritance" billionaire who has tried his best but got himself out of his depth. Randy also does not have a raft of backers to support him when the sh*t hit the fan. Any one who's unhappy about the new prospective owners needs to look at the whole picture imo.

Professional money makers who will put professional football people in to run AVFC, and then step back and write the cheques. Sounds good to me!

Apparently one of the first things Bob Simpson did at his oil company was to buy a bronze cowboy clenching it's fist as the company mascot. The motto that goes with it is "I'll be back". Maybe a few ideas for the a new crest if needed : )

I live in Dallas and follow the Rangers closely. Here are my initial thoughts, for whatever they're worth:

These guys will stay quiet and behind the scenes. Don't expect them to say much or do interviews (unlike Liverpool's owner, Henry).

They will want to field a competitive team.

The Rangers' General Manager (who is essentially in charge of the team, strategically) has said that he has never asked to spend money and been turned down.

That said, I wouldn't expect these guys to come in and spend bucket loads of money on transfers. We wouldn't be the new City, or really anything close to it.

Pretty much what I'd expect. Thanks Villain from Texas.

While this would be fine, I want us to spend, I want Ellison.

I dont mind Ellison but I dont want Ellis's son. ;)

I've actually got a feeling it won't be these guys.

Apparantly Randy retained shares in the Cleveland Browns. The thing of him saying that he'd explain his role at the club once the season's ended made me think he might stay on in some sort of capacity.

Maybe he is selling the majority share but still wants to be involved. Being new to the sport, maybe the new guys want Randy around for a while to help getting to grips with a new sport in a new country.
After the last few years I'm not sure Randy is the best person to consult when it comes to 'getting to grips' with a football club. Edited by av1

Outside of the `Chosen few` I want Villa to be the most hated club in world football for having the most obscene amounts of cash & filthy rich owners.

It's about time we had some luck. ;)

Everton and Newcastle supporters are certainly jealous about our prospective takeover.

• Like 1

I'm all for getting a bit of money into Villa for a change but I just don't see the benefit of investors playing £200m for a club then putting £100m into playing staff. When are they likely to see a return on their money? What can they expect from their investment and just how successful would they have to make us in order to see any profit?

I'm excited for the upcoming change but would like to know what any new owners are hoping to achieve from buying our great club. 

• Like 1