$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2014/02/texas-rangers-sign-deal-to-rename-stadium-globe-life-park-in-arlington.html/

They sold their naming rights 2 months ago apparently the deal is comparable to any top tier naming rights contract in Baseball.

So wouldn't put it past it happening to us if we indeed get taken over by them.

Sounds good. At least they know how to make money themselves.

I think Bob might be worth a little bit more?????:

In 1985 Simpson founded Cross Timbers Oil Company, and served as Chairman of the Board since July 1, 1996.[1] In 2001 the name was changed to XTO Energy.

In 2009 XTO Energy was ranked 325th on the Forbes Global 2000.[1]

In December 2009, ExxonMobil announced proposal to acquire XTO Energy for $41 billion.[2] The merger was completed in June 2010.[3]

£4bn would make our new owners five times wealthier than Liverpool's owner. But a fraction of what Fulham's owner is worth.

That would suggest the wealth of a football club's owner is largely irrelevant at this level?

When Tom Hicks' debt-laden troubles forced a sale of the Rangers in bankruptcy court, the Texas shootout for the team was between Nolan Ryan, accompanied by a lawyer named Chuck Greenberg, versus Cuban.

Many were shocked to find out that the auction was in fact won by the Ryan group.

Few were even aware that Ryan or Greenberg had recruited huge money to win the courthouse auction battle.

Sitting quietly in the back of the room that night were two well-heeled energy titans named Bob Simpson and Ray Davis, who put up more than half of the $593 million price tag on their own.

Simpson is co-founder and former chairman of XTO Energy, which was purchased in June 2010 by Exxon Mobil for a reported $31 billion, just two months before he went all in on the Rangers.

Davis was formerly the co-CEO of a publicly traded natural gas pipeline company called Energy Transfer Partners. He stepped down in 2007 and sold $600 million worth of stock, with more than $800 million more in stock he has yet to cash in.

So while Ryan gets all the TV credit as the managing partner sitting right behind home plate, it's mostly Simpson and Davis' money he's playing with, along with the money of 16 other investors.

Many sports owners are often rich men who are thrilled with the national spotlight that comes with owning a team. Not Simpson or Davis.

At a rare press conference featuring the two in March to announce that Greenberg would no longer be with the team, Davis wasn't kidding when he said, "Neither Bob or I expect ever to do another press conference."

Through Rangers spokesman John Blake, both Simpson and Davis, not surprisingly, declined to be interviewed by CNBC.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44959998

£4bn would make our new owners five times wealthier than Liverpool's owner. But a fraction of what Fulham's owner is worth.

That would suggest the wealth of a football club's owner is largely irrelevant at this level?

Yes but people dont see it, they just want figures. Lerner has more than enough to run us but isnt able to do so properly. These guys having 4bn personal fortunes means very little in how we are going to be run if they takeover. Doesnt one of the QPR shareholders have like more than most prem owners combines? Means absolutely nothing.

• Like 1

In the words of bananarama. It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it.

The personal wealth of these guys is irrelevant really. It's more about how much they are willing to put in and what are their plans for growing revenue and moving the club forward. Something they appear to have done with reasonable success with The Rangers 

• Like 1

I think Bob might be worth a little bit more?????:

In 1985 Simpson founded Cross Timbers Oil Company, and served as Chairman of the Board since July 1, 1996.[1] In 2001 the name was changed to XTO Energy.

In 2009 XTO Energy was ranked 325th on the Forbes Global 2000.[1]

In December 2009, ExxonMobil announced proposal to acquire XTO Energy for $41 billion.[2] The merger was completed in June 2010.[3]

It seems the XTO acquisition was one of its listed share capital, so Simpson would, I assume, have only had a percentage of that shareholding.

It's irrelevant when there's enough of it. It's not irrelevant if owner's wealth is 1 billion USD.

It definitely depends on the actual owners. I read an article about how if anything went wrong on the field with the Rangers that it could no way be down to ownership. They basically just sign the right cheques, focusing on the business side of things and employ relevant people to run the sports side of things.

If they do come I think it could work out well, I guess we will see.

I live in Dallas and follow the Rangers closely. Here are my initial thoughts, for whatever they're worth:

These guys will stay quiet and behind the scenes. Don't expect them to say much or do interviews (unlike Liverpool's owner, Henry).

They will want to field a competitive team.

The Rangers' General Manager (who is essentially in charge of the team, strategically) has said that he has never asked to spend money and been turned down.

That said, I wouldn't expect these guys to come in and spend bucket loads of money on transfers. We wouldn't be the new City, or really anything close to it.

Sounds good to me. At least they won't be daft with money or so it seems anyway.