$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

My hopes aren't up so I don't need to keep telling myself this and that won't happen so I don't feel disappointed when something good doesn't happen.

Plus not sure what this has to do with Sneijder.

The FFP for CL teams is just to stop other teams breaking into the elite and to solely protect teams already qualifying for it . Man City look likely to be fined £50m but that will not count against there losses and can be paid directly by the owner so is basically a joining fee to UEFA's elite. Lerner voted against this along with Fulham (I think) Fulham were bought 6 months ago. Did Lerner know when voting he was selling? And that having such rules in place would only benefit those already on the gravy train? Either way IF we are bought by someone with extreme wealth like City £50m is nothing and can be made back in 1/2 years qualifying for CL so as stated it's just a way for UEFA to fill it's coffers!! I would also think that once a BIG team is excluded for FFP it will be challenged in court and it will collapse under restriction on trade or something. Here's to hoping these are our problems of the future instead of worrying about relegation!!

I don't disagree with anything you've said
I do.

I think it will get challenged straight away.

Do people realise that if we get taken over it doesn’t automatically mean they’ll spend anymore than Lerner?

I suppose as the vast minority of people just want the club run properly that will be the most important thing anyway...

I think many people on this thread want a Man City scenario repeated when the reality is they have been found guilty of breaching the FFP criteria and will be fined up to 40mil. They and anyone else in breach should be docked considerable points but we know that will never happen. If anything the Lerner approach is the way to go IMO
IMO a new owner could come during the summer and spend £40m to £50m on the playing side and make a considerable difference to the team without falling foul of FFP by making a few clever commercial changes?
Lerner may do that if the finances are in order.
We'll have to wait to see what he says over the next week or two I suppose? None of us know if the finances are in order though do we until the accounts appear next year? Will Lerner spend wisely though?
This years accounts are fine

Could you post them up here then as you have seen them?

It says wages are the same and there's an increase in TV money that covers losses from before and puts us in the black a few million, smart arse

Edited by suttonpaul

There will have to be significant investment in this team if we are not going to be relegated next season. I think Lerner is absolutely aware of this, as would any prospective owner. So if we do get taken over there will undoubtedly be a big chunk of money to spend on the team. No one in their right mind would spend £200m on a football club and risk halving its value by them being relegated a year later....

• Like 3

I am surprised it hasn't leaked out who the buyer is.. it makes me worry.

Lots of guesses and sources ofcourse but no definitive buyers like when Randy was buying us back then.

Well kept secret that's for sure. At least were safe now and we will find out one way or another in a few weeks time.

Lots of Ellison talk but I cant see it. I think its PA. He loves to redevelop stadiums and owns one in Manchester and London. Birmingham next stop.. why not Villa park. Redevelop it to 55-60k seater. Take it over. Make it a great club competing. Lots of bandwagon support etc.

The dream eh. Go on Phil ;)

• Like 1

The FFP for CL teams is just to stop other teams breaking into the elite and to solely protect teams already qualifying for it . Man City look likely to be fined £50m but that will not count against there losses and can be paid directly by the owner so is basically a joining fee to UEFA's elite. Lerner voted against this along with Fulham (I think) Fulham were bought 6 months ago. Did Lerner know when voting he was selling? And that having such rules in place would only benefit those already on the gravy train? Either way IF we are bought by someone with extreme wealth like City £50m is nothing and can be made back in 1/2 years qualifying for CL so as stated it's just a way for UEFA to fill it's coffers!! I would also think that once a BIG team is excluded for FFP it will be challenged in court and it will collapse under restriction on trade or something. Here's to hoping these are our problems of the future instead of worrying about relegation!!

I do.

Do people realise that if we get taken over it doesn’t automatically mean they’ll spend anymore than Lerner?

I suppose as the vast minority of people just want the club run properly that will be the most important thing anyway...

I think many people on this thread want a Man City scenario repeated when the reality is they have been found guilty of breaching the FFP criteria and will be fined up to 40mil. They and anyone else in breach should be docked considerable points but we know that will never happen. If anything the Lerner approach is the way to go IMO
IMO a new owner could come during the summer and spend £40m to £50m on the playing side and make a considerable difference to the team without falling foul of FFP by making a few clever commercial changes?
We'll have to wait to see what he says over the next week or two I suppose? None of us know if the finances are in order though do we until the accounts appear next year? Will Lerner spend wisely though?

It says wages are the same and there's an increase in TV money that covers losses from before and puts us in the black a few million, smart arse

As the reported loss was £50m last year you are therefore saying that the TV money is £50m more this year? That's a lot more than is being reported increases? You making massive assumptions because you have read last years accounts does not make anything true, unless you the accountant at the Villa?

I am not being a smart arse just pointing out that your amateur adding up does not mean you have the right to make statements as if they are gospel! Until the accounts are published I for one will not be relying on you for financial information when you are not privy to the actual information.

Apparently Anschutz pulled the sale of AEG because it became 'public'. He seems to be the most plausible rumour atm

I would bet good money that Hodgson on TBAR is not Hodgson at all

• Like 1

Howard Hodgson has posted on TBAR that his 'latest intel seems convinced it's Ellison'.

which Ellison ?  Sorry not been paying attention to this thread

Just been chatting with my MD, who used to be president of Cov Chamber of Commerce and has many business links still and he was saying that with the NEC sale apparently prospective interested parties are looking at linking with other major business interests in the area, and football is being touted as a flagship partnership. He wouldn't be pushed but said of the linked parties Anschutz sounds the most logical regards Villa as that club, but said there's a hell of alot of interest in the NEC sale from big big foreign investors. I think taking a look at interested parties in the NEC might shed a bit more light in potential Villa owners/investors.

I do.

As the reported loss was £50m last year you are therefore saying that the TV money is £50m more this year? That's a lot more than is being reported increases? You making massive assumptions because you have read last years accounts does not make anything true, unless you the accountant at the Villa?

I am not being a smart arse just pointing out that your amateur adding up does not mean you have the right to make statements as if they are gospel! Until the accounts are published I for one will not be relying on you for financial information when you are not privy to the actual information.

You might want to re read the thread where we all talked about the accounts the loss was more like 20m in real terms

Howard Hodgson has posted on TBAR that his 'latest intel seems convinced it's Ellison'.

which Ellison ?  Sorry not been paying attention to this thread

Jennifer the scouse bird from Brookside and many reality shows!!

I do.

You might want to re read the thread where we all talked about the accounts the loss was more like 20m in real terms

If I ever have a bout of insomnia I may well do! How can a £50m loss be £20m in real terms? Have you even passed your GCSE in maths?

Under the guise of someone buying us who has stupid wealth and willing to invest it I would like to see....

Ryan Bertrand, Micah Richards, Ashley Williams/Joleon Lescott, Ashley Young, James Milner, Mousa Dembele and Demba Ba come in.

The reason I have listed these players is they are all from the Premier League already so can hit the ground running and you don't go from where we are to buying Messi over night there are stepping stone players.

Martin O'Neill back on villatalk ;)

The lerner approach is the best one? There have been 2 approaches from lerner.

1) spending amounts that can't be sustained with little thought for the future.

2) drastic cost cutting, gambling with survival till the club is sold.

I'm curious as to which one of those is the best option.

• Like 1

I do.

If I ever have a bout of insomnia I may well do! How can a £50m loss be £20m in real terms? Have you even passed your GCSE in maths?

Yep and what I do also heavily deals in statistics. That aside it is people who are accountants that came to that conclusion.

The lerner approach is the best one? There have been 2 approaches from lerner.

1) spending amounts that can't be sustained with little thought for the future.

2) drastic cost cutting, gambling with survival till the club is sold.

I'm curious as to which one of those is the best option.

Or rather - Which was the most necessary?