$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

I don't want to be in that situation, personally. We start messing about with big money and the same thing happens as it did under MON and we're back to having to gut the overpaid or older players out the squad. We need solid sustainable growth and I'd rather build more slowly.

• Like 2

Lerner definitely bought the club with the right intentions, but a combination of massive hits to his personal wealth and the price of success in football skyrocketing saw him priced out. What's happened since is a shame.

Yes with more recklessness we could be not much better off but be one of the 20 clubs that have breached FFP

The only issue I really have with RL is that he isn't wealthy enough to spend what it's going to take.

Lerner definitely bought the club with the right intentions, but a combination of massive hits to his personal wealth and the price of success in football skyrocketing saw him priced out. What's happened since is a shame.

I agree with both of these.

I personally like the bloke. As mentioned he came in with the right intentions, helped us push on in the league by letting the football man take control of the footballing side of things (albeit being poor judgement in the end) and I certainly wont be forgetting my first 2 trips to Wembley to see us play, regardless of the results. What he's done around the stadium, to the Holte pub, the links with and £1m donation to Acorns has generally given the media a good impression of the club.

Yes things have been a bit shit for the last few years, but for me in the last 8 years I've got more good memories than bad ones, that's for sure.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 4

The only issue I really have with RL is that he isn't wealthy enough to spend what it's going to take.

I was a big fan of Lerner - but this is not the issue I have with him.

- I don't mind that he doesn't have a lot of money - I like to think that we can compete by playing better football, not just having better players.

- I don't mind that he made mistakes - so long as you learn from them, and I think he has/is.

- I don't mind that he keeps to himself - it's about the club, not him.

But not bothering to turn up? That really gets me.

He appears genuinely disinterested and, if that is the case, then he is the worst possible owner we could ask for. I sincerely hope he sells to someone who gives a damn.

• Like 1

If RL has done anything wrong it has been to listen and act on poor advice, bad but understandable, I am pretty sure I heard he was advised by SAF and GT about managerial appointments, He obviously learned from this as he hired PL at all times he has had the best intentions for the club. The fact he does not turn up upsets people? If Ellison was to buy us at 70 how many times do you think he will make the trip from USA. RL put PF in charge and relied on his management team to run the club as with his experience you would expect him too. He cut the finances to the club to keep us a viable business and to comply with FFP rules, rules he voted against. He in my opinion should not be bad mouthed, there are a lot of worse owners out there.

As for PL I remain undecided, we will never know the truth on who he wanted to buy and if it would have made a difference, he has had really bad luck with injuries but we have still not been in the bottom three or within 3 points of it if I recall. With the problems with the bomb squad and the back room team he has been working against the tide. before people say he was responsible for the bomb squad, again we do not know this for sure or the real reasons players were alienated, we only have our assumptions and rumors.

Would it bother me if PL stayed, NO not really I would give him another year to see what happens if he gets better players, The question for me though is can he manage better players.

• Like 3

I know someone who is contracted by villa. At the end of the season they discuss next year's contract. This year they've been told no contracts will be discussed for a while. Possibly to do with impending new ownership

I know someone who is contracted by villa. At the end of the season they discuss next year's contract. This year they've been told no contracts will be discussed for a while. Possibly to do with impending new ownership

Why would staff be on one year rolling contracts :s

Edited by avfcwills10

TBH I hope the new owner shares 90% of what Learner bought to VP.

If the next owner embraces our club as much as Learner we will be starting from a great position.

• Like 1

Why would staff be on one year rolling contracts :s

He didn't say the guy was staff but a contractor. He could be the window cleaner?

The club will have many contractors for various services because they don't want them as staff and the responsibility that entails. it would also make sense to renew these yearly so this could be credible?