Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

Really solid finale. The producers probably hyped it up too much for me though.

Maisie Williams is a tremendous actress.

Now we gotta wait another year for the next season.

Book stuff in spoilers.

No LS. No mention of Tysha. No Coldhands. Three-eyed raven was slightly disappointing.

Edit: Oh, also, I can't remember, but did the Children shoot fireballs?

Edited by Ghost

Really liked the episode thought they did very well tying up all the loose ends of this series, all the way until the penultimate scene;

They have ruined Tyrion for me, I think they've handled his story line this episode really poorly. It's almost as if they want to keep him as the "good guy" because he's a fan favourite, but his whole story arc is about moral ambiguity and the fact he's been pretty screwed over mentally his entire life by his family, he is most definitely not a "good guy".  His actions in the episode seemingly keep him, sane-ish and justified.

Comparing the scene to the books;

In the book he has his argument with Jaime and he learns the truth about Tysha (what happened to her anyway?) and "admits" to killing Joffrey and spills the beans on Cersei. They both leave feeling angry and betrayed, Jaime because he thought Tyrion was innocent when he "wasn't" and because of Cersei's sleeping around ("and Moon Boy for all I know", and all that jazz), and Tyrion because he was lied to his entire life about the only girl he probably truly loved, by his Brother the one person he thought wouldn't lie to him, and that lie essentially put him on the spiraling path of self destruction, drinking and whoring that was his adult life. This conversation has a lasting effect on both characters for the rest of the books, it's not the swift good-bye it was portrayed as.

When he goes to the Tower of the Hand, it seems as if it's just a "what's going on in here then?" type of thing. In the books, it's evident this is a decision based on anger, betrayal and what is most likely the start of a mental breakdown for Tyrion. His whole life has been revealed to be a lie by his brother, he thought that only whores could "love" him and he's just found out that the girl he actually fell in love with and actually loved him wasn't actually a whore, was in fact all true and not set up by Jaime like he was led to believe. He wants to confront Tywin about this so when he realises he's near the TotH, he goes to do just that. Without that reasoning, I don't see why he'd go there.

As for murdering Shae, why make it self defense? It gives Tyrion an out. In the books, it's an act of pure anger, one probably made due to his breakdown he has during this part. The feelings of betrayal he is having are doubled and its an act that shows he is in fact capable of murder and all the horrible stuff the "good guys " aren't, it's moral ambiguity part of his character shining through. Now it's just self defense, there's no pleading for mercy from Shae, no trying to explain, no lying back as Tyrion slowly strangles her. Shae immediately goes for the knife, so what else was Tyrion to do?

And finally Tywin. The whole reason he kills him isn't because he calls Shae a whore, or even that he was sleeping with her (and that's not to mention Tywin's hypocrisy in this situation), it wasn't even the fact he sentenced him to death, he kills him because he admits to what he did to Tysha, he admits it was a lie and he admits that he made his guards and Tyrion rape her to teach Tyrion a lesson. Tyrion is already going through a breakdown, and this pushes him over the edge, or at least "wherever whores go..." does. It completely destroys him. Everything he's known up until now is a lie to him. The reason he is like he is, a lot of it is down to what happened with Tysha, something that has already traumatised him and pushed him down his path of self destruction, drinking and whoring. Now he kills Tywin because he called Shae a whore and slept with her, because he sentenced Tyrion to death, not out of rage in the midst of a breakdown as his life crumbles around him.

And just remembered, why cut one of the best one liners in the books? "Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, shit gold."

Sorry for the essay, but for me they've completely changed Tyrion's character now and not for the better, seemingly to keep him as a good guy in the show. Expecting a lot of filler in his arc now as 50% of his story line is now essentially unusable (I suppose it's a small positive that we won't hear "Where do whores go?" ten times an episode).

I don't mind major changes to minor characters, I don't mind minor changes to major characters, but this is a major change to a major character, something which I think is completely unacceptable if you want to faithfully adapt a story. Stolen from Reddit but I think this is a fairly apt comparison, it's bit like making LOTR and omitting the Ring's influence on Frodo.

Still, I liked the episode. It was great to finally see Mannis be Mannis, the Children of the Forest part was awesome, even if 3E Raven wasn't how I imagined and it was great to finally see Arya go off to Braavos too. The scenes in Meereen were also done very well I thought.

And book/next season spoiler

disappointed with no LSH

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

Non-book people, do you think Varys and Tyrion are going to team up with Dany?

I thought that Stannis was going to gatecrash the Wall because of what was said at the ending of S3, but they haven't really mentioned going North this season much IIRC.

Just watched the Season 4 finale and absolutely loved it, I've not read any of the books but would like to start reading them now before S5 starts next year.

Which book should I start at taking into consideration Season 4 has just ended? Apologies for sounding like a noob.

Non-book people, do you think Varys and Tyrion are going to team up with Dany?

I thought that Stannis was going to gatecrash the Wall because of what was said at the ending of S3, but they haven't really mentioned going North this season much IIRC.

Not sure as it looked as though Varys wasn't going to get on the ship initially? Until he realised what Tyrion had done.

I also really enjoyed Hodor (finally) going super saiyan. I can't be the only person who thought that, so I assume there's already a mock up of it...somewhere. If not. Someone get on that shit.

Â