Leicester City

Villan4Life

I sat next to albrightons box when we beat Sunderland 6-1, it was when he was "injured" under Lambert, didn't really get to say much more than hello to him but he went mental for every goal, proper fan, definitely think he needed the move to reinvigorate himself, would have been caught up in our rot

Thought it when he was here and still think it now, he's the best English crosser of a ball, he won't make the euros or even get that much hype for it but if they're making noise about Lennon...

They only need 5 wins really....5 wins out 9 games.

Spurs will drop at least another 6 points in the run (they'd just drop 5 in 3 days after everyone said how amazing they are). Really can't see Arsenal and Man. City doing stuff like winning 8 out of their last 9 games, too many weaknesses in their 11s.

S*** just got real folks. 

If they did it it would surpass what Clough did at Derby and Forest and it will be another East Midland side too. Tottenham, 3 easy points next game, they do have the added pressure of the europa league. It would be nice to see them progress and beat Dortmund. Man City have prioritised the champions league. Leicester have a great chance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

Thing is, you can guarantee that if he was still here he'd be performing mediocre at best (which was what he was like for most of his time here actually barring his first season). I don't know if it's because the club is rotten and we drag players down or Leicester are making players look better than they actually are but either way I don't think he'd be playing like this with us.

Its the 'England v Scotland/Wales/Ireland' (football/rugby) or' England v Australia' (cricket) syndrome.

Players at Leicester, and about 70 other Clubs throughout the Leagues, will, if managed properly, always add passion and desire to their natural skills. Players at Villa, and a dozen or so other Clubs, will, unless managed brilliantly, usually fail to do any more than use their ability.

10 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I agree it will surpass what he did at Derby, but in four consecutive seasons Clough at Forest Clough won promotion to the top flight after years languishing in the second tier, Champions of England & League Cup double, Champions of Europe & League Cup double and Champions of Europe again.  It's a run of trophies Barcelona would be pleased with let alone unfashionable Forest.  It's right up there with any achievement in club football, worldwide.    

Yes overall yes, but it was always possible then for a smaller club to win the league, now it seemed impossible until this season.

Edited by PaulC

If it had just been a league win at Forest then I'd have agreed with you but Forest also won and retained the European Cup. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

If it had just been a league win at Forest then I'd have agreed with you but Forest also won and retained the European Cup. 

The European Cup was a lot easier to win back in those days. When we won it we only had to play five teams and of those we played dodgy sides from Iceland, east Germany as well as Belgium and Ukrane. It wasn't until the final that we came up against a football powerhouse.  

The gap between the richest teams and the rest was not as large and seemingly insurmountable. 

It's only in the last season or two, with increased premier league TV money, that mid-table premier league clubs can outspend almost any other club in Europe and as such can put together truly competitive sides.  

I can't say I was around to know how it was back then, but it seems to me that the football landscape was nowhere near a closed shop then as it is now. it would have to be on a par with Forest from what I understand.

Edited by a m ole

You are very correct Mole...in the 80s you had likes of Watford, Southampton, Forest and West Ham as newly promoted teams and they either came 1st or 2nd the following season.

What is forgotten is Leicester aren't even an established prem team like a Stoke or Swansea, two years ago they were championship side so the Forest comparisons are quite apt.

The overall quality of the league has dropped this year, so much I think you could make a good argument for worst team to win it no matter who it actually is, the problem being sky's agenda is everything is awesome and it's actually because everyone is so good

In reality Chelsea have declined by a lot, city, Utd both dipped, arsenal IMO have dipped by enough to justify sacking wenger

I'm not knocking Leicester here but I can't remember a year where the previous top 4 have all dropped like this before, they are capitalising on the situation and I'd actually liken them to what I'm told about us in 81, they're a proper team in a time where English football has lost what that means

Ask any bookmaker, you don't even get many 5000/1 outright shots let alone ones that land. No bookmaker will be able to tell you a 5000/1 bet outright that has landed.

Therefore if they do it, it will not only surpass Forest's achievement's but be the biggest shock in sporting betting history. 

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The overall quality of the league has dropped this year, so much I think you could make a good argument for worst team to win it no matter who it actually is, the problem being sky's agenda is everything is awesome and it's actually because everyone is so good

In reality Chelsea have declined by a lot, city, Utd both dipped, arsenal IMO have dipped by enough to justify sacking wenger

I'm not knocking Leicester here but I can't remember a year where the previous top 4 have all dropped like this before, they are capitalising on the situation and I'd actually liken them to what I'm told about us in 81, they're a proper team in a time where English football has lost what that means

I disagree, other than the usual teams the league is as it should be. Arsenal are on target to achieve what they normally do and the teams challenging for the title are putting in performances worthy of  the title or all faultering at the same time which again from memory is normal. Leicester winning will not only be a great acheivement but they have done it in style. Ranieri has been a nearly man his whole career and for a few results would be up there with Ancelotti IMO hes been 2nd so many times. 

i disagree! this is the poorest prem in terms of title contenders that i can remember, the team that finished 1st and 2nd last year both cant achieve the same points total this year such is their decline

Leicester are on 60 points with 9 games left so a maximum of 87 points, in the last 10 years that point total would have won you the league twice, utd won with 80 in 2011

would you put your cock on the block and say it wont be the lowest points tally to win the league in the last 10 years? i wouldnt

its definitely declined

and like i said, mainly due to watching us at the bottom, it aint because of this "competitive" strong bottom half of the league myth that sky peddle

15 points and they will win it and it will be the greatest achievement in football in a long time. the fact other managers want them to do it shows what an amazing thing it will be

funny thing is Ranieri has finished 2nd so many times with a lot better teams

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LondonLax said:

The European Cup was a lot easier to win back in those days. When we won it we only had to play five teams and of those we played dodgy sides from Iceland, east Germany as well as Belgium and Ukrane. It wasn't until the final that we came up against a football powerhouse.  

The gap between the richest teams and the rest was not as large and seemingly insurmountable. 

It's only in the last season or two, with increased premier league TV money, that mid-table premier league clubs can outspend almost any other club in Europe and as such can put together truly competitive sides.  

Easier to win, but harder to get into as you had to be your league champion to qualify. 

No teams finishing 3rd or 4th and then winning it the following year back then. 

• Like 1

Â