Leicester City

Villan4Life

Not sure I've ever seen a manager use the term 'marginally onside' to downplay goals against.

Probably prejudged him before he joined us but I'd always assumed he was a motivator type. Both here and at Leicester it seems as if he'd struggle to motivate a man who's been set on fire to jump into a swimming pool. 

• Haha 1

They've taken five points from Smith's six games so far, which isn't great, but when you consider that two of those games have been Man City and Liverpool and that before Smith went there they had drawn one and lost seven of the previous eight, they have actually improved, at least results wise.

Since Smith's appointment they've taken more points than Spurs, Leeds, and Southampton, and the same amount of points as Everton and Chelsea.

If they go down it won't be Smith's fault, but he will have failed as when he went there they had what looked to be the easiest fixtures of all the relegation threatened teams, two points from Everton, Leeds, and Fulham is where they should have done better.

I wouldn't completely rule them out of staying up, as end of season usually brings surprise results, and just as Leicester have recently struggled in some of their so called easier games, then so too could the same happen to the likes of Leeds, Everton, and Forest, they're all down there for a reason, and just as liable to struggle, like I don't take it as a given that Everton are going to find it easy against Wolves and Bournemouth for example, Wolves have won five of their last six at home and Bournemouth have won three of their last three away from home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

They've taken five points from Smith's six games so far, which isn't great, but when you consider that two of those games have been Man City and Liverpool and that before Smith went there they had drawn one and lost seven of the previous eight, they have actually improved, at least results wise.

Since Smith's appointment they've taken more points than Spurs, Leeds, and Southampton, and the same amount of points as Everton and Chelsea.

If they go down it won't be Smith's fault, but he will have failed as when he went there they had what looked to be the easiest fixtures of all the relegation threatened teams, two points from Everton, Leeds, and Fulham is where they should have done better.

I wouldn't completely rule them out of staying up, as end of season usually brings surprise results, and just as Leicester have recently struggled in some of their so called easier games, then so too could the same happen to the likes of Leeds, Everton, and Forest, they're all down there for a reason, and just as liable to struggle, like I don't take it as a given that Everton are going to find it easy against Wolves and Bournemouth for example, Wolves have won five of their last six at home and Bournemouth have won three of their last three away from home.

Yes initially he had that new manager bounce but they are down.  Unlucky with the offsides but after that it could have lost by 6 or 7.  I think Newcastle will batter them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spoony said:

Why has Deano done this to his career since Villa. Should have joined a growing lower league side again. Guess it doesn’t have the rep and cash of joining a PL side. I hope he will still get a look in at a lower level after this as no PL side will touch him. 

I think it might be a bit of an inferiority complex after years in the lower leagues as first a player then head coach.  Perhaps he felt if he turned down the opportunity now it won't come up again. Looks he has to do what he feels is right for him and his family but I agree with most posters that he has seemed to have rushed into the 2 jobs post Villa.

13 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think it might be a bit of an inferiority complex after years in the lower leagues as first a player then head coach.  Perhaps he felt if he turned down the opportunity now it won't come up again. Looks he has to do what he feels is right for him and his family but I agree with most posters that he has seemed to have rushed into the 2 jobs post Villa.

I can't see how he rushed into the Leicester job. Was sacked by Norwich mid December so four month break this time to refresh and loads of managers down the years have gone into jobs with 7-8 games of a season left.

Leicester on paper had a squad similar to us in 19/20 and perhaps they said to him in the interview he'd get it full time if he kept them up so don't understand why people are criticising him. For someone who got sacked by championship club it was a very good opportunity.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I can't see how he rushed into the Leicester job. Was sacked by Norwich mid December so four month break this time to refresh and loads of managers down the years have gone into jobs with 7-8 games of a season left.

Leicester on paper had a squad similar to us in 19/20 and perhaps they said to him in the interview he'd get it full time if he kept them up so don't understand why people are criticising him. For someone who got sacked by championship club it was a very good opportunity.

And if Madison scored that penalty against Everton he'd be considered a relative success, the margins in football.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MaVilla said:

whats happened to them is strange tbh.

They finished 8th last season, and the only sold Fofana and Schmeichel in the summer.

So yes they were weakened a little, but from 8th to possible/probable relegation is quite a turn around in fortunes tbh.

It caught up to them. Chilwell and Maguire before that. All defensive players. Schmeichel replaced with Ward who is the worst keeper in the league. Evans and Ricardo had bad injuries and they weren't adequately replaced as well. Faes and Souttar have not been PL standard at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Are their fans as tinpot as Everton fans as in they will pitch invade if they stay up?

Don't know, but they should all be crying in the stands instead.  Celebrating staying up ffs.  They should purely be livid about how shit they've been all season.

No room for emotion in sport pals.

On 24/05/2023 at 10:15, Pinebro said:

Are their fans as tinpot as Everton fans as in they will pitch invade if they stay up?

I'd wait to see if our fans can contain themselves with finishing 7th before making 'tinpot' comments about other clubs.

Just now, Wainy316 said:

I'd wait to see if our fans can contain themselves with finishing 7th before making 'tinpot' comments about other clubs.

Pitch invasion for Conference league would be embarrassing.

I think there will be a pitch invasion if we get a win, definitely. Lower holte will do it, usually you can tell its going to happen as people are waiting in the aisles and near the advertising hoardings. The "Young bucks" will lead the charge, around the corner flag at bottom of L7. Then the slightly older people with kids will follow onto the pitch when the initial surge has gone. I will be in the north stand upper so will have a good view of the pitch

9 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I think there will be a pitch invasion if we get a win, definitely. Lower holte will do it, usually you can tell its going to happen as people are waiting in the aisles and near the advertising hoardings. The "Young bucks" will lead the charge, around the corner flag at bottom of L7. Then the slightly older people with kids will follow onto the pitch when the initial surge has gone. I will be in the north stand upper so will have a good view of the pitch

For context.

West Ham and Fiorentina received 7.5 k tickets each.

Very telling how small the competition is.

20 hours ago, Pinebro said:

For context.

West Ham and Fiorentina received 7.5 k tickets each.

Very telling how small the competition is.

For context.

Man City and Inter have under 20k each for a 75k seater stadium. 

Very telling how small the completion is or the majority of tickets go to fat cats and commercial sponsors?

Going OT here

The competition is small because UEFA are almost definitely controlling the hierarchy of their competitions

If villa and let's say roma or frankfurt are in the ECL final next season, you saying between us we would take more travelling fans than a man City vs anyone final?

Its small on purpose but it's bollocks

10 minutes ago, jim said:

For context.

Man City and Inter have under 20k each for a 75k seater stadium. 

Very telling how small the completion is or the majority of tickets go to fat cats and commercial sponsors?

Eden arena has a capacity of 19 000.

19 000 capacity stadium for an european final is an absolute shambles

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1

Â