Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Harsh ratings VillanousOne, I would say: Senderos 5/10. Underwhelming, but could be a better backup than Baker and Clark. Cole 6/10. Not the player he was, but on a free, if he can play 15-20 games and get a few assists/goals, he'll have been worth the punt. Richardson 7/10. He's not the most exciting player, but he's proven Premier League quality, still 29 and is better than what we have in many of the positions that he can play.

Senderos 4/10, Richardson 5, Cole 6.

In what context are these marks being given? Relative to our position now? Relative to the current squad? Relative to where we wish we were?

Rating signings out of ten before they've even kicked a ball is ridiculous regardless.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

I feel like people aren't considering the state of the club when rating these signings. We're not going to get the type of signings we did 4/5 years ago, we're basically focusing on pushing away from a relegation battle. I think these signings are decent (not crap, not fantastic) for a club that's where we are at the moment.

• Like 1

I personally still want a CAM to follow J.Cole. He's past it and seems to have been injured for the majority of his career. Never really made it. Another CAM and CDM would be nice and maybe not too un-realistic. Preferably not another Sylla. 

Yes please, but can't see that happening unless Chelsea are paying the majority of his wages

He wouldn't be on huge wages but I'm sure Chelsea would subsidise a significant part of them anyway. They are more than happy to do it in return for their prospects getting the required experience.

In what context are these marks being given? Relative to our position now? Relative to the current squad? Relative to where we wish we were?

Rating signings out of ten before they've even kicked a ball is ridiculous regardless.

Possibly in relation to their perceived form, age and injuries based on their recent clubs.

And definitely on how good a signing people think they are.

Is it not allowed to have an opinion on a player that doesn't (yet) play for Villa. Or do we have to wait till they've played in the shirt?

Edited by VillanousOne

Possibly in relation to their perceived form, age and injuries based on their recent clubs.

Is it not allowed to have an opinion on a player that doesn't (yet) play for Villa. Or do we have to wait till they've played in the shirt?

I think the latter. Judging them as per their career so far is fine, judging them as signings and their impact upon our squad is impossible at this stage. Richardson for example, we don't even know where he's going to play. It's assumed left back, likely, but he's equally adept in central mid.

Cole will play attacking mid. What impact will that have on the team as a whole, how we set up, how often he plays, surely there are far too many variables at this stage to give him a mark out of ten.

I think the latter. Judging them as per their career so far is fine, judging them as signings and their impact upon our squad is impossible at this stage. Richardson for example, we don't even know where he's going to play. It's assumed left back, likely, but he's equally adept in central mid.

Cole will play attacking mid. What impact will that have on the team as a whole, how we set up, how often he plays, surely there are far too many variables at this stage to give him a mark out of ten.

my ratings were purely down to how they have played in recent years, but it's based on a lot of assumptions as i've not followed any of them that closely.

Cole definitely has the ability and if he stays fit then who knows, it's just he seems to have done very little in the last three years.

I hope Richardson doesn't play left back.

if he does then maybe he and Bacuna would play as wingbacks in front of Okore, Vlaar and Senderos?

I never again want to see Ashley Young in a Villa shirt, unless it's some old footage. He has hardly kicked a ball in anger for 12 months and the quality we had when he was here was a million miles away from what we have now.

If we're going to spend money please don't let this greedy so and so have any.

• Like 2

I still can't forgive Yorke for joining ManU nor can I read any of the drivel he writes about Villa without my blood boiling.

I almost feel the same dislike for Young, not just for going to ManU a club that I despise but also for the dive against Clark.

If Young did resign (which I very much doubt) then it would depend on the effort he is willing to put in because at his best Young is a great player that we would be lucky to have.