Best & Worst Villa Captain in the History of Forever

hogso

Thought I'd try something different.

Interested to hear thoughts on this. I, like many others on the forum I presume, am a reletively young fan, who has properly followed the club since the mid 90s. Therefore, I havent seen any of our captains in action since before them, and could name precious few - 80/81 being the exception, of course. Not specifically the official 'club captain', memories of odd players picking up the armband would be fun too.Therefore, with the thread title in mind, the first two that came to mind are;

Best - Gareth Barry

gareth-barry_1410003c.jpg

The consumate professional, composed, effective, level-headed (mostly), role model - and during his time as captain commanded well from the centre of the park.

Worst - Darren Bent

darren-bent-25910083-5776.jpg

What was that all about? Leading by example? Furrgedaboudit.

Best.

Sir Dennis - no competition.

Worst?

I think by definition, captains are usually good - players who can lead by example and win respect and influence on the field. So I find it hard to think of one. The example given in the OP, of Darren Bent, seems a bit unfair on the player. It seems pretty clear to me that Lambert was just playing games with him as part of his campaign to get him out of the club. So it reflects badly on the manager, not the player.

Edit

But the other examples given above, of NRC and Gabby - yes, they were both poor captains.

Edited by briny_ear

Best is probably Mortimer in my time.

A few candidates for worst, and for me Houllier giving Ashley Young the armband to try and keep him happy is all wrong. Captaining our football club is an honour, not a perk. Boooooo! :angry:

Didn't Steve Sims captained us a few times? :o

Edited by Pez1974

Best.

Sir Dennis - no competition.

Worst?

I think by definition, captains are usually good - players who can lead by example and win respect and influence on the field. So I find it hard to think of one. The example given in the OP, of Darren Bent, seems a bit unfair on the player. It seems pretty clear to me that Lambert was just playing games with him as part of his campaign to get him out of the club. So it reflects badly on the manager, not the player.

Edit

But the other examples given above, of NRC and Gabby - yes, they were both poor captains.

Based on? Giving the captaincy to Bent was the wrong decision but I've seen nothing to suggest that it was all some sort of ploy to force Bent out. Doesn't really make much sense.

• Like 1

Do I remember it right that Cowans was our captain during the '89/'90 season?

Best (that I can remember): Ricco or Southgate

Worst: Hm, neither Bent nor Gabby really excelled with the arm band. Or NRC, for that matter. But I have to go for Bent.

No, newly appointed Sheffield Wednesday manager, Stuart Gray was.

Ah, well, couldn't watch that many games those days, and just had a picture of Cowans with an armnband. Probably my mind playing strange trix with me. :) Cheers!

No, newly appointed Sheffield Wednesday manager, Stuart Gray was.

Ah, well, couldn't watch that many games those days, and just had a picture of Cowans with an armnband. Probably my mind playing strange trix with me. :) Cheers!

There's a chance he would have captained the side, when Gray was injured / suspended / substituted. I'd say there's a good chance such a picture exists.

Â