Best & Worst Villa Captain in the History of Forever

hogso

Best - Southgate or Barry would be my choices. Both were intelligent, lead by example and were wise and calm heads on the field.

Worst - Ashley Young, who went all billy big bollocks as a result. He just used it as an excuse to shout at the other players for not passing the ball to him all the time, and when he did get the ball, he'd run it down blind alleys and then dive at the first chance of contact.

Of the current or recent choices Vlaar doesnt compare as he's too clumsy, and although Gabby is a local boy and more experienced he's never been captain material. Clark looked like a rabbit in the headlights. But giving Bent the captaincy was just batshit insane. We may as well have given the captaincy to a mannequin.

Edited by R.I.C.O.

Best.

Sir Dennis - no competition.

Worst?

I think by definition, captains are usually good - players who can lead by example and win respect and influence on the field. So I find it hard to think of one. The example given in the OP, of Darren Bent, seems a bit unfair on the player. It seems pretty clear to me that Lambert was just playing games with him as part of his campaign to get him out of the club. So it reflects badly on the manager, not the player.

Edit

But the other examples given above, of NRC and Gabby - yes, they were both poor captains.

I think Lambert thought he'd be a key part of the side but after seeing how limited he was he reconsidered.

• 1 month later...

Mortimer - for what we achieved under his captaincy. Some of which under some off the field managerial turmoil too...

Honorable mentions for Kevin Richardson, Andy Townsend (the greatest, the Holte End say) and Martin Laursen.

• 2 years later...
On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2014 at 18:40, villa-revolution said:

Best Captain is easy, just got to be Sir Dennis.

The worst captain I would say, because he wasn't much of a player anyway, was Harry Gregory when we we're in the old 3rd Division.

Well, lets face it, they weren't much of a team back then - but did show more fight than the current shower (IMO)

Anyway, sadly Harry Gregory passed away this week; I understand there is a tribute on the Charlton site (we signed him from them) RIP

Best:  Sir Dennis

Laursen, Mellberg, Southgate, Barry, Petrov were all good for me too.  Also liked Platt, Richardson and Townsend. 

Worst: Gabby, Micah 

Edited by ferguson1

31 minutes ago, veloman said:

Anyway, sadly Harry Gregory passed away this week; I understand there is a tribute on the Charlton site (we signed him from them) RIP

Well said. Harry made 23 appearances for us in the 3rd Division during seasons 70-71 & 71-72 scoring 2 goals. Sad news that he passed away on 6th June. HEITS.  

Our best captains for me were: Dennis Mortimer, Andy Townsend and Kevin Richardson and before my time Jack Devey, Jimmy Crabtree, Howard Spencer, Joe Bache, Billy Walker, Danny Blanchflower and Johnny Dixon. Our worst were Snake and Gabby.     

Edited by John

Dennis for me as well- I quite liked Southgate as well tbh, also wasn't Chris Nicholl our skipper in the mid- late seventies? Happy to stand corrected by someone- but didn't he skipper us in the 77 league cup final ? 

Well its Dennis Mortimer for me, but as he's not had a shout yet my first real idol gets a look in - Bruce Rioch....if only because his was the first song I remember, and I remember him playing with a bust arm.

Edited by terrytini

Â