Best & Worst Villa Captain in the History of Forever

hogso

10 hours ago, Dave J said:

Dennis for me as well- I quite liked Southgate as well tbh, also wasn't Chris Nicholl our skipper in the mid- late seventies? Happy to stand corrected by someone- but didn't he skipper us in the 77 league cup final ? 

Yes Chris was our captain during season 1976/77 and did lead the team out for the League Cup Finals that year. 

Have to admit, I idolised Townsend in the mid-to-late 90's.

Always seemed to play well and by example whenever I visited VP,  one f my most vibrant memories from that era was him scoring th winner in a 3-2 win over Sheff Weds in a midweek match on my birthday.

Regi Blinker also scored in that game, for Wednesday, oh how I yearn for a return to those days.......

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Have to admit, I idolised Townsend in the mid-to-late 90's.

Always seemed to play well and by example whenever I visited VP,  one f my most vibrant memories from that era was him scoring th winner in a 3-2 win over Sheff Weds in a midweek match on my birthday.

Regi Blinker also scored in that game, for Wednesday, oh how I yearn for a return to those days.......

Townsend always impressed me as well to be honest with you.

i rated him as a player as well as a skipper.

14 hours ago, John said:

Yes Chris was our captain during season 1976/77 and did lead the team out for the League Cup Finals that year. 

And scored the best ever Villa goal in the 2nd League Cup Final replay at Old Trafford in 1977

7 minutes ago, tismyk said:

And scored the best ever Villa goal in the 2nd League Cup Final replay at Old Trafford in 1977

I remember it well because Chris picked up the ball just in front of where we were standing and I thought what on earth did he think he was doing when he hit the shot from that sort of distance. I think he along with the rest of the team may have been as shocked as I was when it hit the back of the net. :) What a great night that was!

Edited by John
  • Like 2

I hadn't realised Townsend was so highly regarded as a Villa captain. I remember him as a player and thought he was a very good but was unaware his captaincy was held in such high esteem. 

I always had the impression there were those who were against him after he displaced Garry Parker.

Delph surely has to be the worst? Captains like Richards have let the side down with performances but at least he never outright lied and embarssed the club.

I could forgive Richards if he came good next season. I could never, ever, ever, EVER forgive Delph.

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I hadn't realised Townsend was so highly regarded as a Villa captain. I remember him as a player and thought he was a very good but was unaware his captaincy was held in such high esteem. 

I always had the impression there were those who were against him after he displaced Garry Parker.

last Villa captain to lift a major trophy. people are just against him as he is a shit pundit though the Tactics Truck was genius 

• 2 weeks later...

Richards & Gabby for the brazenness of them demonstratably not giving a flying **** about us , Delph (the way he left us) were terrible.... but I'm sure Westwood has captained us. Abysmal. 

Best: Laursen, Mellberg, Townsend, Southgate, Richardson.

Â