Ryan Bertrand

Didiersix

it helps that hes at a big club like Chelsea. I dont think hes quite good enough for Chelsea. More than good enough for us though. Jose will want a superstar.. probably go for Shaw.

Villa + Bertrand = huge progress. See how simple this game is Randy if you bring in proper footballers.

I don't think that's fair at all. Some signings work out, some don't. This one looks like it'll work it out, but there have been others.

Ryan Bertrand is a good footballer, everyone who has watched him mature knows this. He's not a great footballer but he's a great fit for the level which Villa should aspire to. 

Same applies to players like Kyle Walker. If you wan't to watch a proper Villa performance, you need to have proper players.

Players like Bertrand won't come cheap, but they are affordable if Randy is serious about his custodianship of Villa. You don't have to be a top scout to know that Bertrand is a better footballer than Bennett and Luna.

I don't think it's unfair to point out the obvious.

• Like 1

Villa + Bertrand = huge progress. See how simple this game is Randy if you bring in proper footballers.

I don't think that's fair at all. Some signings work out, some don't. This one looks like it'll work it out, but there have been others.

Ryan Bertrand is a good footballer, everyone who has watched him mature knows this. He's not a great footballer but he's a great fit for the level which Villa should aspire to. 

Same applies to players like Kyle Walker. If you wan't to watch a proper Villa performance, you need to have proper players.

Players like Bertrand won't come cheap, but they are affordable if Randy is serious about his custodianship of Villa. You don't have to be a top scout to know that Bertrand is a better footballer than Bennett and Luna.

I don't think it's unfair to point out the obvious.

It isn't as simple as just going out and getting "proper footballers" though. As I said, some work out and some don't. You make it sound as if every player is either a "proper footballer" or not and that everyone can see clearly which category they fall into and that up until now we've been purposely buying players that aren't "proper footballers".

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

No but it is obvious that some players are more likely to work out than not. We all knew Bertrand was a quality signing. We were all in agreement. It was a very low risk signing and it has proven to be correct. We need more players that are proven.

I thought it was interesting how this late signing scuppered LFC's play. I think their plan was to attack Luna on the left. The problem with that for them was with Bertrand in, left back became a strong link in the defence and he was able to push their attackers back through attacking as well as being good defensively. I think sterling was even swapped to the Bacuna's side, may be wrong. In any event the back four looked very strong and apart from the dive and a very nice flick for the goals the were not opened up.

Edited by Crumpet
  • Like 2

A very promising first game for us considering he was thrown in so soon after joining us.

He looks far more assured than the other 2 left backs we have at the club and should make us more solid and offer a bit extra going forward.

I personally can't see him being the first choice Chelsea left back so we must have a chance if the financial terms are suitable to make this a permanent transfer in the summer.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

Thought the first goal was his mistake if only a wee one, he got too close to his man. That they were all ultimately beaten by a lovely flick from Henderson absolves them somewhat, but worth noting anyway.

(Could also be that I'm remembering it wrong!)

• Like 1

Two fast FBs, who support the attack at every available opportunity, who are comfortable on the ball, quite aggressive, and defensively comfortable, make all the difference, and give confidence to the team.

A good start to the team, keep that defence as much as possible, until Okores comes in to the team anyway.

• Like 1

This is the sort of ambitious signing we should realistically be looking to make to improve the squad, not simply bolstering it.

You have to wonder whether the lure of regular football could bring him here permanently if he enjoys his loan spell. He's made a good, solid start so let's hope that continues. 

Â