Paul Faulkner interview

andykeenan

Terrible paragraph from someone who's supposed to be at the top. What the hell is he going on about???

It’s trying to marry that up (long and short term). It’s not always an easy combination to balance, but I think invariably you’ve got to. If you just look at the short term you can cause yourselves real problems. Equally if you’re too fixated about what happens next year or the year after then you can get caught up by events overtaking you. It’s about trying to keep one eye on the long term and one eye on the short term.

That's brilliant, that really is.

Is there a scenario where we can thrive under Lerner ?   -  A decent CEO would I beleive be a good starting point....

because Faulkner has done what exactly wrong? record sponsorship and kit deals, kept our star player from last year when everybody thought he would buckle at 1st offer

What sponsorship deal is that ? - The Genting one ? - because I seem to recall the dafabet deal being one of the smallest in recent years - I beleive the WBA shirt deal is bigger than ours currently???

The last accounts showed that all streams of income including matchday and commercial had decreased.

Add that to low league finishes and it's amazing that there's still people who have no real problems with Lerner.

Amazing that people shrug off the mistakes the board have made and praise the new approach when its getting to the point where we're going to struggle to compete with top half teams.

Amazing that people shrug off the mistakes the board have made and praise the new approach when its getting to the point where we're going to struggle to compete with top half teams. 

I have seen nobody "shrug off" Lerner's mistakes. 

The man who never made a mistake never done anything.

• Like 1

Is there a scenario where we can thrive under Lerner ?   -  A decent CEO would I beleive be a good starting point....

because Faulkner has done what exactly wrong? record sponsorship and kit deals, kept our star player from last year when everybody thought he would buckle at 1st offer

Oversaw the appoint of McLeish and at no point said "Hang on, this might not be a good idea...."

Wow, he made a mistake.

He's not infallable afterall, I am in total disbelief.

Next.

I have, all the time on this site.

I guess it is a case of seeing what you want to see.

Unless this year Faulkner and Randy back up this PR newspeak bullshit by letting Lambert get quality players in then I will not be changing my opinion that all they are doing is keeping tight until they can flog Villa to another naive sugardaddy.

Edited by The Fun Factory

There has been years of mistakes, misjudgements and miscalculations.

Unfortunately, these errors are not confined to one person.

One person is ultimately in charge but he empowers people on huge salaries to take responsibility for running his business.

For years we had a hands on despot that empowered no one and made every decision himself and despite his undoubted experience of the football industry, he too appointed managers who caused us much pain I.e BIlly McNeil, Graham Turner and Josef Venglos as just some examples.

I am by no means defending Randy as the perfect owner, but I do think he started out with good intentions and dark clouds appeared to cloud his judgement and darken his mood.

I believe he has not lost interest in Aston Villa as a brand or a state of symbol, he has lost interest from haemoraging money mainly due to poor transfer market dealings over several years.

And from where I'm sitting, there is nothing to suggest to me any lessons have been learnt that will change it.

Only another dose of Russian roulette with an unsuspecting oligarch or sheik is likely to enable us to get in a player that can pass a ball or trap a ball or in fact the rare task of running intelligently off the ball.

We have finally resigned ourselves to accepting very modest /poor decisions as the norm.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

The last accounts showed that all streams of income including matchday and commercial had decreased.

I had suspected as much.The whole ''project'' is self defeating the more they cut the less competitive we become the less people want to sponsor us etc.So you save 10mil in wages but then lose a similar amount in income...

I dare say the season ticket sales are going to nose dive if our current performances at home continue as well.

The last accounts showed that all streams of income including matchday and commercial had decreased.

I had suspected as much.The whole ''project'' is self defeating the more they cut the less competitive we become the less people want to sponsor us etc.So you save 10mil in wages but then lose a similar amount in income...

I dare say the season ticket sales are going to nose dive if our current performances at home continue as well.

I don't think it's really a case of just continually cutting back though, it seems to me that we've got the platform (a squad of sorts) that we can now build from and while it'll be slow, it'll stand us in financial good stead. I'm optimistic for the future and taking the present on the chin because of that. 

• Like 1

I worry Faulkner has to much input into the club. I mean if Lerner is hardly here Faulkner is the one managing the top end of the club. He really gets away with alot. Lerner trusts in Faulkner to make many decisions. The McLeish appointment was made with the backing of Lerner, Faulkner is the one who wanted him. Everyone is saying its mainly down to the running of the club so surely Faulkner has a huge input in this, but its generally all blamed on Lerner. Personally I think Faulkner gets away with murder, but its like your friend who works with you, that you could never grass him or get him sacked.

Oversaw the appoint of McLeish and at no point said "Hang on, this might not be a good idea...."

Wow, he made a mistake.

He's not infallable afterall, I am in total disbelief.

Next.

In a time when more and more money is pouring into the world of football, our accounts show a decrease in matchday and commercial income.

That he oversaw the spending of money which the club could not afford.

He rubber stamped deals such as the Given and Heskey deals where ageing players where given big money deals on long contracts.

There's a couple more :) Zatman had asked for an example, which I gave. Not quite sure why you've got your arse in your hands about it but hey ho.

I guess it is a case of seeing what you want to see.

It certainly is.  ;)

I worry Faulkner has to much input into the club. I mean if Lerner is hardly here Faulkner is the one managing the top end of the club. He really gets away with alot. Lerner trusts in Faulkner to make many decisions. The McLeish appointment was made with the backing of Lerner, Faulkner is the one who wanted him. Everyone is saying its mainly down to the running of the club so surely Faulkner has a huge input in this, but its generally all blamed on Lerner. Personally I think Faulkner gets away with murder, but its like your friend who works with you, that you could never grass him or get him sacked.

I think you have a good point, he seems like " Mr Teflon" ....my worry is he only seems to come in to his own when austerity is the order of the day...not much creative work ( excluding marketing) seems to partner him.maybe the Benteke business he deserves a bit of praise for, but is there much else.

i don't know enough of what he does to make a credible criticism.....but between the manager, the owner, and the CEO, we don't seem to have much going on.

I worry Faulkner has to much input into the club.

How much does he have?

I mean if Lerner is hardly here Faulkner is the one managing the top end of the club. He really gets away with alot. Lerner trusts in Faulkner to make many decisions.

Does he. Like what, for example?

The McLeish appointment was made with the backing of Lerner, Faulkner is the one who wanted him. Everyone is saying its mainly down to the running of the club so surely Faulkner has a huge input in this, but its generally all blamed on Lerner. Personally I think Faulkner gets away with murder, but its like your friend who works with you, that you could never grass him or get him sacked.

Sorry to pick on this, but neither you or I know any of that to be the case. It's possible, but equally it may be quite wrong.

It's one of the problems for us fans - we don't know who does what, or where the decision making is taken.

Some people blame RL, so PF, some PL and some balme all of them.

It's be nice to have more information, to try and understand what's going on at the club we've spent our lives following.

• Like 1

Â