Paul Faulkner interview

andykeenan

I worry Faulkner has to much input into the club.

How much does he have?

I mean if Lerner is hardly here Faulkner is the one managing the top end of the club. He really gets away with alot. Lerner trusts in Faulkner to make many decisions.

Does he. Like what, for example?

The McLeish appointment was made with the backing of Lerner, Faulkner is the one who wanted him. Everyone is saying its mainly down to the running of the club so surely Faulkner has a huge input in this, but its generally all blamed on Lerner. Personally I think Faulkner gets away with murder, but its like your friend who works with you, that you could never grass him or get him sacked.

Sorry to pick on this, but neither you or I know any of that to be the case. It's possible, but equally it may be quite wrong.It's one of the problems for us fans - we don't know who does what, or where the decision making is taken.Some people blame RL, so PF, some PL and some balme all of them.It's be nice to have more information, to try and understand what's going on at the club we've spent our lives following.

Pete you are absolutely correct. None of us know how the club is run, who made the key decisions and how influential Faulkner was etc So to take aim at Faulkner based on little more than speculation is a nonsense.

I have had some dealings with him, would say that he was incredibly professional and went more than the extra mile to solve the major issue I had. While I cannot say on open forum what the situation was, his solution went above and beyond. On other occassions I have found him very approachable, willing to listen and respond.

All that said I have no idea how much involvement he has had in setting the playing side budgets or appointing managers.

My guess is that while Faulkner and others may do the donkey work in terms of preparing the numbers, give their opinions, be responsible for revenue generation etc as it is his money they are using, Randy Lerner will have made all the major financial decisions. IMO it is highly unlikely that Faulkner made the decision to employ McLeish and Houllier and I think as fans we may be very surprised at how those appointments came about and where the recommendations came from.

I have no idea whether it is true, but a couple of years ago I was told by someone with connections to the club that they believed Alex Ferguson influenced Lerners decision to employ Mcleish. Given that Krulak mentioned that Lerner admired and sought advice from Ferguson (and other leading lights) I seriously believe this is a strong possibility. If nothing else both Lerner and Faulkner would know that they were not qualified to judge so they would have sought "expert" advice! As Ferguson was a long time friend of AM, I can just imagine him saying don't worry about the fans, if AM succeeds they will soon back him. If my theory is right, he couldn't have been more wrong. Obviously Lerner has to take ultimate responsibility but giving him the benefit of the doubt I believe he was badly advised by some who should have known better.

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 3

Alex Ferguson had an integral part to play in McLeish's appointment with the letter of recommendation (which Randy has framed apparently). A wiser man would know the only thing Ferguson has ever cared about is Ferguson, why would Ferguson want to help Randy Lerner or Aston Villa? It was clear cronyism. 

• Like 2

exactly Gentleman. Look at his recommendation to Man Utd. The club he loves. Brings another one of his mates in instead of bringing a higher calibre manager.

Edited by KSV
  • Like 2

Alex Ferguson had an integral part to play in McLeish's appointment with the letter of recommendation (which Randy has framed apparently). A wiser man would know the only thing Ferguson has ever cared about is Ferguson, why would Ferguson want to help Randy Lerner or Aston Villa? It was clear cronyism. 

That was embarrassing, and showed just how little he understood English football.

• Like 2

Â