Formula One 2014

BOF

Yeah seen it on live leak.

I'd say his head must have hit but what's probably saved him is the car was going slightly backwards, so that bit behind the cockpit hopefully took most of the impact.

His head would still have hit, but if he'd gone head first into that crane, like I said earlier he'd be lucky to still have a head.

Nasty crash. 

But the worst thing about the video is there is quite clearly a waved green flag before the crane is even close to being off the track.

Edited by Stevo985

Actually, having watched it again, he doesn't go in backwards at all.

Still a slight angle which is what must have saved him. Either that or the front of the car lifted the JCB a bit.

If he's hit that head first then it's an absolute miracle he's still alive.

Still a slight angle which is what must have saved him. Either that or the front of the car lifted the JCB a bit.

I think what saved him was his car lifting the JCB up which meant he didn't hit it head on. 

I think what saved him was his car lifting the JCB up which meant he didn't hit it head on. 

Yep, that's what I think too having watched it a couple of times.

He's incredibly lucky (if he survives of course)

• Like 1

He couldn't have hit it head on, from the pictures it shows his crash helmet being intact, at the speed he hit the jcb, apparently 160mph a head on collision would have decapitated him

The reports indicate that the left side of his car struck the jcb with a glancing blow to his head on the left side, he's incredibly lucky to still be alive, hopefully he goes on to make a recovery so he can live a good quality of life

But the worst thing about the video is there is quite clearly a waved green flag before the crane is even close to being off the track.

The green flag was being waved further along the track just after the point of the incident/where Sutil crashed which is standard practice apparently.

****. Horrific crash. He's lucky simply to be alive.

However short of covering the jcbs in tyres or some such i can't see how you prevent that in future unless you safety car every time there is a recovery needed.

The green flag was being waved further along the track just after the point of the incident/where Sutil crashed which is standard practice apparently.

The green flag is being waved right next to the crane in that video

Suzuka is a strange old circuit. I remember when Dajiro Kato lost his life in the 2003 MotoGP, questions were asked about the safety of the circuit even before the fatal crash and indeed the design of the crash barriers used were cited as a possible cause of death in what was a very strange crash. The actions of the marshalls too came in for criticism (2 of them ran onto the track where he was lying, literally picked him up by his shoulders and legs and carried him onto the grass without checking his condition). 

Although the Suzuka 8 hour endurance races are still held there, MotoGp hasn't been held there since.

The green flag is being waved right next to the crane in that video

Yeah, At first it's yellow. Then the clown changes it to green, and the car and crane are still right in the danger zone. The eeejut continues to wave the green flag even after Bianchi has almost decapitated himself. Then another guy comes along and basically takes the flag off him and gives him back the yellow one.

Niki Lauda was moaning earlier in the season about it taking an hour to replace a barrier saying another car won't hit that exact same spot. Health and safety might be overdone in general but in F1 it is needed.

Moaning how? I wasn't sure from how you worded it.

“F1 is over-regulated,” Lauda said during the pause. “Stopping the race for an hour is wrong and is bad for the sport. It’s all crazy. To stop the race for one hour because one of the barriers is damaged is ridiculous.

Kimi made a mistake and hit the guard rail low. I guarantee no one will hit that spot again. There are too many rules. A lot of people will go home or switch off the TV. It is not good for F1.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/10950290/British-Grand-Prix-Niki-Lauda-slams-crazy-hour-long-stoppage-after-Kimi-Raikkonens-Silverstone-crash.html

Edited by Jimzk5

Bianchi's family have released a statement saying he has suffered.a "diffuse axonial" injury

From the express

diffuse axonal injury is caused by a severe blow to the head that results in the brain moving back and forth in the skull as a result of acceleration or deceleration.

The injury can also cause brain cells to die, which results in swelling in the brain.

This increased pressure in the brain causes decreased blood flow to the brain, as well as additional injury.

About 90 per cent of survivors with severe diffuse axonal injury remain unconscious. The 10 per cent that regain consciousness are often severely impaired.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/519811/F1-driver-Jules-Bianchi-suffers-diffuse-axonal-injury-Japanese-Grand-Prix-crash

Edited by Jimzk5

Â