Formula One 2014

BOF

Bianchi's family have released a statement saying he has suffered.a "diffuse axonial" injury

From the express

diffuse axonal injury is caused by a severe blow to the head that results in the brain moving back and forth in the skull as a result of acceleration or deceleration.

The injury can also cause brain cells to die, which results in swelling in the brain.

This increased pressure in the brain causes decreased blood flow to the brain, as well as additional injury.

About 90 per cent of survivors with severe diffuse axonal injury remain unconscious. The 10 per cent that regain consciousness are often severely impaired.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/519811/F1-driver-Jules-Bianchi-suffers-diffuse-axonal-injury-Japanese-Grand-Prix-crash

Awful news.  :(

Anyone think the Sochi circuit looks like a slight modification of the Valencia street circuit?

Yep. The large tarmac run off areas really ruin the aesthetics of a modern track, you could show me Valencia, sochi, Korea or Abu Dhabi and I wouldn't be able to say which is which. All to similar and a reason why formula 1 must keep tracks like Silverstone & monza on the calendar

• Like 2

Anyone think the Sochi circuit looks like a slight modification of the Valencia street circuit?

Yep. The large tarmac run off areas really ruin the aesthetics of a modern track, you could show me Valencia, sochi, Korea or Abu Dhabi and I wouldn't be able to say which is which. All to similar and a reason why formula 1 must keep tracks like Silverstone & monza on the calendar

Agreed.

David coulthard said about button in qualifying, he has been fairly evenly matched with Magnusson this season, but magnusson Is 19, in he's first season & will improve, whereas button in 33 & will not improve anymore

Ive never particularly rated button, he's championship was won off the back of brawn being unmatched in the early part of 2009, he's wins have usually come off the back of other peoples errors. Wont be missed by me

He's the Roy Hodgson of F1.

He'll get what is expected out of the car. If he's in the best car, he'll win the title (which he did)

If he's in the 5th best car, he'll finish 9th or 10th.

He's not the kind of guy to get you top finishes in an average car

I think that's a little harsh on Button. A lot of people rate Hamilton as one of the most talented drivers but in their 3 years together at Mclaren, Button held his own

Stats courtesy of this website:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/11/hamilton-and-buttons-head-to-head-record-at-mclaren/

Hamilton v Button stats compared (highest respective tally in bold)

Qualifying
Faster qualifying time: Hamilton 44 / Button 14
Poles: Hamilton 9 / Button 1
Front rows: Hamilton: 23 / Button 9

Races
Wins: Hamilton 10 / Button 8
Podiums: Hamilton 22 / Button 25
Points finishes: Hamilton 45 / Button 47 
DNFs: Hamilton 13 / Button 8
Best race result (inc DNFs): Hamilton 32 / Button 26
Ahead in two-car finish: Hamilton 24 / Button 13

Championship
Overall points: Hamilton 657 / Button 672
Seasons finished higher in standings: Hamilton 2 / Button 1
Highest championship placing: Hamilton 4th (2010, 2012) / Button 2nd (2011)

Hamilton did lose it in 2011 though, Hamilton also managed to score points and win races with an absolute dog of a Mclaren car in 09 which Button hasn't done in the past couple of years with an under performing car with Mclaren.

Button is a very good F1 driver, not an elite in the same category as alonso, vettel or hamilton but I think he's proven himself to be very good racer throughout his career and that season with McLaren showed he was more than capable of getting comparable results against a more talented driver in Lewis. 

I'd rate him in the same level as Webber, Rosberg and Massa and that's not all a  bad result. 

Will be a shame to see him go as he's always been an easy 'good egg' to root for in sport amid the more trying personalities in there at times. Still, Bottas and Ricciardo and maybe Kvyiat look like the next group of drivers to come through, Magnusson probably needs to deliver a bit more himself, but there's a changeover happening. 

Wouldn't mind seeing him in a Lotus with a mercedes engine next season but I suspect he'll leave. He's got half a chance of a podium tomorrow too, albeit only a half chance at the moment.

Edited by Rodders

Button is a very good F1 driver, not an elite in the same category as alonso, vettel or hamilton but I think he's proven himself to be very good racer throughout his career and that season with McLaren showed he was more than capable of getting comparable results against a more talented driver in Lewis. 

I'd rate him in the same level as Webber, Rosberg and Massa and that's not all a  bad result. 

Will be a shame to see him go as he's always been an easy 'good egg' to root for in sport amid the more trying personalities in there at times. Still, Bottas and Ricciardo and maybe Kvyiat look like the next group of drivers to come through, Magnusson probably needs to deliver a bit more himself, but there's a changeover happening. 

Wouldn't mind seeing him in a Lotus with a mercedes engine next season but I suspect he'll leave. He's got half a chance of a podium tomorrow too, albeit only a half chance at the moment.

Yeah I'd agree with this.

My previous post wasn't an attempt to say he was bad. Just that he's not one of those drivers who can drag a team to a title win.

If he's in a good car he'll get good results, I just don't see him as the kind of guy to win a title in the 2nd or 3rd best car, which I'd argue Alonso et al could do.

• Like 1

Hamilton did lose it in 2011 though, Hamilton also managed to score points and win races with an absolute dog of a Mclaren car in 09 which Button hasn't done in the past couple of years with an under performing car with Mclaren.

It's also very hard to compare like this, due to the relative strength of the car's, expecting any driver - see Alonso and Vettel to win a race against this Mercedes engine is daft - save for mechanical errors etc that have let in Ricciardo.  Again last year, the disparity between the Red Bull and the others was such that I doubt any other driver would have won a race in that McLaren. Did Alonso win a race in a Ferrari last season? I have a feeling he may have won all of one race, and he in my opinion - is probably the best driver on the grid.

It's also very hard to compare like this, due to the relative strength of the car's, expecting any driver - see Alonso and Vettel to win a race against this Mercedes engine is daft - save for mechanical errors etc that have let in Ricciardo.  Again last year, the disparity between the Red Bull and the others was such that I doubt any other driver would have won a race in that McLaren. Did Alonso win a race in a Ferrari last season? I have a feeling he may have won all of one race, and he in my opinion - is probably the best driver on the grid.

But he hasn't even been getting on the podium in the past 2 years, apart from one 3rd place in Aus at the start of this season.

He has been a good driver, but with the new wave on of F1 drivers coming through he simply isn't good enough anymore to compete.

David coulthard said about button in qualifying, he has been fairly evenly matched with Magnusson this season, but magnusson Is 19, in he's first season & will improve, whereas button in 33 & will not improve anymore

Ive never particularly rated button, he's championship was won off the back of brawn being unmatched in the early part of 2009, he's wins have usually come off the back of other peoples errors. Wont be missed by me

Wait what? improve on what ?Jense has over  twice the points Magnusson has and thats what matters.

Magnusson is poor in my eyes tbh,I think if u get a chance in F1 and especially Mclaren u gotta do something amazing and hes been an average Joe.

Edited by KAZZAM

Â