Steven Defour

Avflife

My favorite line ever is "preparing a bid." What is that? Does paul Faulkner sit in his office and count the individual dollars to be used?

Not sure, might be looking up the phone book to get the numbers of the interested parties.

• Like 2

Just found a big hole in Lerners transfer dealings.

Defours agent says 'Aston Villa are interested in Defour along with several other clubs but I can't name them'. Lwtf why u name Villa then. Then it got me thinking, did the conversation go like this

PF: is that Defours agent I'm talking to

Defours Agent: yes it is, who's this?

PF: It's Aston Villa and we are 100% interested in Defour

Defours Agent: okay, you boys aren't fecking us about again like 2009?

PF: no, no we really are interested this time.

Just one thing, we want u to let everybody know it

• Like 2

Its Paul Faulkner putting paper in the fax before he hits send.

Does Faulkner live in 1989?

Probably. Hasnt quite figured out how to use Outlook.

Edited by KSV

Probably should've mentioned this last night but he is close to signing for Schalke according to reports in the German media apparently.

Any direct links or quotes to confirm this, couldn't find anything myself?? This might be a decent read if anyone is interested.

http://www.arsenalnews.co.uk/steven-defour-and-dramatic-stagnation-at-fc-porto/link/731068/

Here are a couple (the first mentions the story in Bild which is a major German paper):

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/950/Buitenlands-Voetbal/article/detail/1768249/2014/01/05/Manager-Defour-bevestigt-interesse-Aston-Villa.dhtml

http://www.voetbalkrant.com/nl/nieuws/lees/2014-01-03/schalke-04-meldt-zich-voor-steven-defour?mobile_version=no

To be honest, I accepted it was extremely unlikely as soon as his third-party ownership was established given our league's rules regarding this.

Cheers, just read the articles, think the one is Bild is more reputable. Think this transfer is more believably than some people are making out on here, Kristof Terreur is a pretty reliable source. I still believe we will see Defour in a claret and blue Villa shirt come the end of January. 

Edited by Avflife

I think "stepping up" might mean that Lambert has managed to get back up on his chair.

God i hope so. I have an imagination that gets carried away with itself at the best of times let alone when someone posts a potential new signing player thread. Cant help but see defour and tekkers together in perfect harmony. I can dream.

I find all this lark of preparing a bid quite funny too, all you do is pick up the phone or send an email with an offer for the player.

I just imagine men in suits pacing the room as if they're too nervous to ring haha

• Like 3

Step one, the agent lets everyone know the player is available.

Step two, you ask the agent whether he'd be interested in playing for you

Step three, you find out how much money he'd want and for how long

Step four, if they haven't already gotten wind of it, you contact his club and let them know you're preparing a bid, depending on how much money is left from what you've offered him and how much his agent says he's prepared to annoy his current club

Step five, you make a bid

Step six, if it's not accepted you and the player make a big fuss.

Step seven, you make another bid

Step eight, your bid is accepted

Step nine, you pay the agent of the player, the agent of your club and the agent of the other club

Step ten, you pay the lawyers

Step eleven, you pay the players sponsors

Step twelve, you sign the player

Sounds like we might be between steps three and four.

• Like 2

Cheers, just read the articles, think the one is Bild is more reputable.

Bild and reputable? Now I've heard it all! :DThe Bild is the german equivalent of the Sun...says it all really. Although they were quite early to call one of our previous transfers under lambert IIRC.

As bad as it is, The Sun are way more accurate than the likes of The Mirror and The Daily Mail regarding transfer rumours.

Edited by Isa

“Aston Villa have let it be known that they are interested in Defour,” the midfielder’s agent Paul Stefani revealed.

“It is not yet concrete, and it is the same story for other clubs that I can’t name.

“Steven is certainly open to joining an attractive club on condition that they offer him more playing time than he has at present.

“He’s not unhappy at Porto but he needs to be playing regularly with an eye on the World Cup.”

Why can he name us but not others?

Because he’s using us to drum up business of clubs he really wants to go to.

I find all this lark of preparing a bid quite funny too, all you do is pick up the phone or send an email with an offer for the player.

In a world without agents this may be true. But this isn't a world without agents, and there's alot of discussing between the buying club and the agent (acting for the player) before the club or even the player get a huge input on anything. 

'Preparing a bid', I assume, often means these agent discussions. They have to say 'preparing a bid' because 'Talking to the player's agent before we've lodged an official bid' can also roughly translate to 'tapping up'. 

So I imagine we've spoken to Defour's agent, found out what sort of wages he'd be after, found out he'd be interested in talking to us, now we need to contact the club.

“Aston Villa have let it be known that they are interested in Defour,” the midfielder’s agent Paul Stefani revealed.

“It is not yet concrete, and it is the same story for other clubs that I can’t name.

“Steven is certainly open to joining an attractive club on condition that they offer him more playing time than he has at present.

“He’s not unhappy at Porto but he needs to be playing regularly with an eye on the World Cup.”

Why can he name us but not others?

Because he’s using us to drum up business of clubs he really wants to go to.

Or we are using Devour to hide other business.

I admire the optimism Den, but do you really believe that? To hide business you'd need to be actually targeting a bigger player than this one. There's no way we're looking at anyone higher up the food chain than Defour. I know he hasn't been the same since he broke his leg, but he's still a quality player.

• Like 1

Â