• Agbonlahor
    • Albrighton (for Vlaar 70)
  2. 2. Managers tactics

• Very Poor
    • Poor
    • Average
    • Good
    • Very Good

Credit to defence, as against Swansea they had better possession but they only managed a single shot on target.

Ah but the moaners will say they could of had so many more and against a better team we'd of lost.
Wouldn't call them moaners more-like realists, but let's not start the name calling, and enjoy the day.

Tough game to watch at times, but I'm happy, and what a start to the new year.

Realists? Although we've won every game where we've had less than 37% possession?

Realistically if we give Arsenal and Liverpool that much possession they will beat us. That's my view, and you are more than welcome to yours.

Nice to be able to celebrate a Villa win.

Benteke was obviously not 100% today, but I was encouraged by what I saw. He really put a shift in, and save a goal line clearance, would have had the goal his confidence dearly needs. One goal will open the floodgates for the lad. Hope it comes soon. Lower league opposition in our next game, I'd hope he'd be chomping at the bit for this one. 

His touch was poor in 1st half, but that was to be expected. Came to life in the 2nd half, and loved the run he made in the 72nd minute.

Credit to defence, as against Swansea they had better possession but they only managed a single shot on target.

Ah but the moaners will say they could of had so many more and against a better team we'd of lost.
Wouldn't call them moaners more-like realists, but let's not start the name calling, and enjoy the day.

Realists? Although we've won every game where we've had less than 37% possession?

Realistically if we give Arsenal and Liverpool that much possession they will beat us. That's my view, and you are more than welcome to yours.

That's not how football works though.

Anyway I'm enjoying g the victory, hopefully I'll be able to stay awake to see us on motd tonight.

Lots of good news.

2 things in the match analysis I haven't seen. While we clearly looked to be in greater control as the match went on, that happened largely because they pulled their defense and shifted to a 3-3-4. It was not unsurprising that we found it much easier to find space to attack after that.

The referee... Normally, I like mike jones, but I would guess his crew told him he was wrong when he booked for simulation. He tried too hard not to give cards after that. When he didn't book Colback for clear, deliberate, tactical hold on Gabby, he lost the respect and trust of both teams. He was shielded by Ki's body from seeing Gabby's elbow...which was deliberate but aimed chest high. Ki stooped and got nailed. But again Ki was so angry because the players had lost confidence. Finally, When gabby hit colback late, an advantage was ok, but ref needed to be louder, and instill more confidence. Colback took justice into his own hands... Again. Lack of trust. Should have been straight red for Colback. It's OK for ref not to see it, off the ball... His crew let him down. One of them should have seen and put a word in his ear. He didn't impact the final score, but he did not have a good game

• Like 1

Huge 3 points!

I said in the match thread that we'd have to start grinding out results, so maybe this was the beginning. Could and should have been by a larger margin, but right now I'd take the srappiest of wins.

Great result, and a spirited (if not always technically proficient) performance to go with it. Proud of the team today. This will be a great confidence boost for the players and the manager going into a tough little run of league fixtures. I liked the look of Lowton today, he's starting to look a little bit like the player he was late last season. Didn't get forward quite as much as I would have liked, but he was solid in defense, and I was pleased with his performance when he shifted over to cover for Vlaar too. Really really hope Vlaar is back quickly, I worry that we rushed him back too soon and he'll be out even longer now. Hope I'm wrong about that.

Never thought I would say this after last season, but I hope Bennett's back soon. I do like Luna and I think he will improve, but he's struggling right now and could use a spell out to take the pressure off. Thought Westwood was decent today but his corners are still lacking. Can we please just try Bacuna at corners? Just for one game, just to see how it goes?

Saw some real glimpses of The Beast in Benteke today, especially in the second half. So unlucky not to score that chance, gotta hand it to Bardsley for the off-the-line clearance. It's probably a cliche, but based on today's performance I do think that one goal will kick-start Benteke's game and get him back on the road to last year's form.

UTV.

Not sure why people feel the need to keep defending our awful possession stats.

Yes on a game by game basis it might be acceptable - beating Southampton and Sunderland for example but going forward as a football club it's simply not good enough.

We are never going to push on and potentially challenge for Europe or a Top 4 spot with such abysmal possession, just look at any of the top teams and they don't play this way.

Maybe those are the most effective tactics with the limited players we have but I just don't see any future in playing this way.

Thought benteke looked something like his old self today and did the job we know he can do. Was good to see gabby sweating at the end of a game and giving a display we have been waiting for, complete with a goal we all know is in his locker. Sunderland were poor in most departments and therefor we cannot get carried away with a game we need and should win.Looked like the wage structure had set in PL couldn't afford a jacket.

Only just back :mellow: Good result, looked very solid without the ball & should have won more comfortably.

Benteke was great & gets my vote for motm.

Gabby put in one of the strangest individual performances I've ever seen. Had the beating of his marker every time but some of his decision making was baffling.

• Like 1

Opening day of the season? 3-1 wasn't it?

• Like 1

That's not how football works though.

Anyway I'm enjoying g the victory, hopefully I'll be able to stay awake to see us on motd tonight.

I know that, been around the game long enough, because if it was all about possession we'd be fighting with Palace for bottom place.

I hope you enjoy MOTD.

Edited by villianusa

Pity there are always posts that try to kill discussion and start throwing around slogans and imagining tribal differences amongst the Villa fans. We do all support the same club, just some have different views.

Anyway, good for all us fans to be able to celebrate a win for a change and hope your obsession with the "moaners" hasn't spoiled this too much for you.

UTV

• Like 1

Opening day of the season? 3-1 wasn't it?

Maybe I should of said on present form, and I did say realistically and not that it was certain. Look back through the history books, and I don't think you'll find many teams will win anything by having 37% in the long term. You may win the odd game, but you're always playing under pressure. Constantly playing under pressure brings on mistakes, and that's when winnable games are lost or drawn. Teams who possess the ball more will consistently win leagues and cups.

If the boys can prove me wrong by winning something with 37%, then I'll happily admit I am wrong. Heck, they don't need to win anything, just a place in Europe will do. :)

Well also had 46% possession that day according to the BBC.

Edited by villianusa

what a load of bollocks match of the day was again

whilst showing a great graphic that shows the bloke was offside they are making comments about how it was a poor decision and we were lucky, also didnt bother showing delph or worse albrightons miss

complete waste of time that show, i want my tv tax back

• Like 4

What a joke Match of the Day is! Didn't even show the best bit of football in the whole game, which was the build up to Albrighton's howling miss. If he'd have scored that, it was a goal of the season contender!

What a joke Match of the Day is! Didn't even show the best bit of football in the whole game, which was the build up to Albrighton's howling miss. If he'd have scored that, it was a goal of the season contender!

Yeah and the 20 secs of analysis centred solely on the disallowed goal. He was off just, by mm's but he's off. Great decision.

Yeah and the 20 secs of analysis centred solely on the disallowed goal. He was off just, by mm's but he's off. Great decision.

You'd be disappointed if it went against you, but was off side. End of.

You'd be disappointed if it went against you, but was off side. End of.
Agree, but it's a brilliant decision by the Lino.

Â