• Agbonlahor
    • Albrighton (for Vlaar 70)
  2. 2. Managers tactics

• Very Poor
    • Poor
    • Average
    • Good
    • Very Good

Great win. Much needed 3 points and a nice way to start off the year.

To be fair, I don't think we did too badly today. It took us a bit of time to settle, and there were still avoidable errors that nearly gave me heart attacks, but I think in general we were better than we have been. If our finishing had been better then we could have been 3 or 4 up, but I'm sure once everybody hits form then we'll be burying these chances, as Sunderland really shouldn't have been in the game as much as they were. 

Gabby MOTM. A constant pain in the arse for the Sunderland defence and kept his cool for the goal. Westy did quite well today too and I think Bacuna had a good game.

UTV

Really good stuff all round. Credit to PL for restoring our aggressive chasing game and to the players for bucketloads of spriit, grit and fight.

Clean sheet. Remember when everyone said we never kept them ?

• Like 3

4 more wins for safety ? 

Really hope Vlaar is ok - HH said in another thread he was rushed back - so perhaps the plan was always that he wouldn't do the full 90 - However if he is injured we need another CB in the jan window - its beyond argument how important HE IS.

65% possession against Palace and lost so who gives a flying ****? We won, enjoy it you miserable bunch of bastards!

I was certainly joking and really couldn't care less about possession. The important thing is we won and we looked threatening.

Really good stuff all round. Credit to PL for restoring our aggressive chasing game and to the players for bucketloads of spriit, grit and fight.

Clean sheet. Remember when everyone said we never kept them ?

he definately went off injured and holding his right calf. I think it was the right lol

I hope Vlarr is okay, it was clearly his calf again though... We look so much better at the back with him there not just because of his own defending but the organisation he brings at the back.

I'd also like to say I like the combination of Bacuna and Lowton on the right side, Bacuna does a great job of support Lowton there. Until Vlarr come off they were doing a great job.

I don't think we've quite found the balance for Luna yet, I feel he doesn't get the same level of support in all fairness.

• Like 1

again possession means nothing

Bc6O5sHCQAArrgd.png

we have played 10 games where we had less than 44% we have won 6, draw 2 and lost 2

I wouldn't say it means nothing. But it is a very overrated stat - I would think the amount of time you are in the opponents half more meaningful. I think everyone would agree we aren't a great team at the moment - Lets hope lambert came improve things over the coming months

• Like 3

65% possession against Palace and lost so who gives a flying ****? We won, enjoy it you miserable bunch of bastards!

I was certainly joking and really couldn't care less about possession. The important thing is we won and we looked threatening.

That's a stab at people in general on here, no one person.  ;)

Can we have a choice for Cattermole in the poll?

I chose Benteke for my MotM.

Although he didn't score he was instrumental in giving us something to play to and play off. He also drew the Sunderland defenders up the pitch, giving Gabby more space to run into.

Although our finishing was bad today it was the stuttering feet and indecision around the box that did my head in. Too many times they tried to take too many touches and overran or lost the ball.

Bacuna was good and very unlucky not to score. He and Lowton kept things pretty quiet down the right.

Some definite improvements in Weimann's game, although he was still incredibly frustrating.

And as for Poyet - what a moaning whiny prick he is.

• Like 1

The build up to Marc's chance - how I wish he'd scored that as it would've been a fantastic goal - showed that there is some passing ability in the team. Sure the game was stretched, but the crowd were giving the 'ole's' and they looked confident.

Having Vlaar back was huge and I hope he's not out again for too long.  Luckily Clark will be back for the next game, but hats off to Lowton for filling in.   

Absolutely delighted. Sounds like another Southampton situation, and I hope rushing Vlaar back won't have put his recovery back as I feared it may - but we've got the three points that were vital after such a disappointing Christmas and the upcoming fixture list.

I thought we'd be tonked, so really happy with the win. If we'd got shooting boots on it wouldn't have been so nervy at the end.

It's a shame that possession is still a problem for us - but low possession doesn't matter when we get the wins like today and Southampton. It's when we lose against Crystal Palace it's a problem.

It's been a hard few weeks, but everyone has pulled together and got the result, well done all. It further cements my belief that Gabby is bloody brilliant and may have injury issues and drift in and out of games - but when we need someone to step up - It's always Gabby who does it.

Fantastic :)

Edited by Pilchard
  • Like 3

Crisis, what crisis?!

Amazingly our 6th clean sheet this season which is a good stat. The 6 defeats at home isn't. If we were not useless at home I would be fairly confident of mid table.  Blunderland are doomed, but the other 2 places are still wide open. I just hope we carry on moving away from the danger zone. Arsenal and Livepool up next, hmmm.

A much needed win. Looked better going forward with Benteke on the pitch. We could/should have won by more there was some very odd decision making by our front lot. Gabby was everywhere! Good match for him.

They were dreadful though it has to be said. Gave us loads of space and done nothing with their possession. 

As for possession being irrelevant i'll say this: If you don't have the ball you can't score, but the opposing team can. It's always done Barca well having 75% possession in most of their matches. I think somebody needs to tell them their game plan as been exposed on VT.

Â