• Agbonlahor
    • Albrighton (for Vlaar 70)
  2. 2. Managers tactics

• Very Poor
    • Poor
    • Average
    • Good
    • Very Good

What a joke Match of the Day is! Didn't even show the best bit of football in the whole game, which was the build up to Albrighton's howling miss. If he'd have scored that, it was a goal of the season contender!

Yeah and the 20 secs of analysis centred solely on the disallowed goal. He was off just, by mm's but he's off. Great decision.

yes how can they say he was level when he was marginally ahead. Those two are pretty poor analysers! 

what a load of bollocks match of the day was again

whilst showing a great graphic that shows the bloke was offside they are making comments about how it was a poor decision and we were lucky, also didnt bother showing delph or worse albrightons miss

complete waste of time that show, i want my tv tax back

Yep. And they said Villa were relegation rivals to Sunderland. Apart from we have not been in the bottom 3 all season and Sunderland have barely been out of it. Hamann expertise is as a failed Stockport County manager.

Predicted a bigger win and we nearly did :)... Benteke working harder than recent but still stood around like a sick chuck after the goalline clearance , had anyone else cleaned it up he would have been offside... I am beginning to get annoyed with his standing still and looking shocked routine everytime he loses the ball... but he was more of a team player today than of recent and all in all glad he was there.

Everyone is giving Albrighton the evils for the rotten shot but he had a corker on target and was in the right place at the right time a fair bit, working hard but next to Gabby everyone else looked pedestrian.

Luna .. I really want to love him but I have palpitations most times he gets the ball in our half, though at least if he takes a throw I can put the kettle on and not worry about missing anything including the default loss of possession afterwards, still think he should be played higher up.

Sunderlands goal was offside but had than been any of the top 5 it would probably have been given, ref poor but not one-sided.

Better from Villa and I don't think the next 2 games are unwinnable or a given even at home, we more likely to crash and burn at Sheff

When I saw the motd running order I made the decision to take myself to bed before it started than staying up until midnight to watch 30 seconds of the game followed by there in depth analysis

Credit to defence, as against Swansea they had better possession but they only managed a single shot on target.

Ah but the moaners will say they could of had so many more and against a better team we'd of lost.

LOL - do you not believe that then?

Actually, you will probably find that 1 win after a winless run of 6, including a run of 4 straight defeats might make people just react with less jingoism that everything is rosey again, which of course it isn't just yet. Just like the 'moaners' get told that 1 defeat shouldn't make it feasible for the panic button to be pressed.

What I will say is, this is a very welcome win and buys us a bit more time, alleviating some of the mounting pressures we have seen of late. Great to have Vlaar back and I guess Benteke too. I didn't see the game so I cannot really comment on individual performances or tactics on this occasion. I gave up braving MOTD ages ago. My MOTM went to Gabby this time, as Iain Dowie's snippets of match report during Sky's football afternoon report was full of Agbonlahor this, Agbonlahor that. 

Thank you for the win Villa, and thank you for restoring a bit of pride in our great club. Don't think you're billy big bollox just yet though...

Credit to defence, as against Swansea they had better possession but they only managed a single shot on target.

Ah but the moaners will say they could of had so many more and against a better team we'd of lost.
Wouldn't call them moaners more-like realists, but let's not start the name calling, and enjoy the day.

Tough game to watch at times, but I'm happy, and what a start to the new year.

Realists? Although we've won every game where we've had less than 37% possession?
Realistically if we give Arsenal and Liverpool that much possession they will beat us. That's my view, and you are more than welcome to yours.

Nice to be able to celebrate a Villa win.

Opening day of the season? 3-1 wasn't it?

I'll take that bet... What are the odds of Aston Villa FC doing the league double over Arsenal? We're long overdue a win over them at Villa Park.

£30 to Villa Talk if we pull that off.

What a joke Match of the Day is! Didn't even show the best bit of football in the whole game, which was the build up to Albrighton's howling miss. If he'd have scored that, it was a goal of the season contender!

Yeah and the 20 secs of analysis centred solely on the disallowed goal. He was off just, by mm's but he's off. Great decision.

yes how can they say he was level when he was marginally ahead. Those two are pretty poor analysers! 

I like Ditmar Hamann, but his 'Yaya Toure is a liability' analysis was odd to say the least.

It sounds a bit dire again, but wins are rare, and I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of minutes of 'highlights' if anyone has a link... First game I haven't bothered to get up in the middle of the night to watch in a while and we win!!

No I don't believe that.

Once again possession doesn't equal goals.

OK well as long as you acknowledge that there is no such thing as the 'daylight interpretation' IRL then that's probably where you're going wrong :P

• Like 1

Also, as it stands now, by league position, statistically we have the toughest next 4 fixtures of any side in the league. Going by form (last 6) it's marginally better (18th hardest) but still not great.

No I don't believe that.

Once again possession doesn't equal goals.

It is however, remotely possible that, against a better team... we may have lost.

We didn't lose, and credit where it is due.

Â