• Agbonlahor
    • Albrighton (for Vlaar 70)
  2. 2. Managers tactics

• Very Poor
    • Poor
    • Average
    • Good
    • Very Good

Predicted a draw so happy with the bonus 2 points.

On another day we could of won comfortably or lost. We wasted a lot of really good chances and our low possession things could of ended so differently.

Weimann awful again constantly marking space Albrighton has to start against Arsenal.

Benteke was moaning a lot in the first half which was really annoying to see he justs needs to get a grip, In the final 15 mins or so in got in some really good areas but others choose to ignore and play a stupid ball somewhere else.

Vlaar looked solid enough after the first 15 or so, really hope he's back for next Monday.

Motm Gabby just for the fact he never stopped running and antisipacted the mistake and finished camly.

Edited by Spray

I'll say something that sums up possession. If you have a gorgeously hot girlfriend for 3 years and the she leaves you for someone else. Who's happiest? The guy who's had her for 3 years or the guy who's knocking the back out of her now? ;)

Thought we were OK today, especially in the second half. Gabby was at his best and there were flashes of the good, bad and ugly from Albrighton when he came on, which was strangely entertaining. Bacuna was good too. Just need to sort out that left back position and Weimann, who is in terrible form.

We won and it was vitally important. :D

We worked our socks off and showed great belief in ourselves which is great.  Our finishing and defending our flanks was not so great.  We really should of buried the game on 3 or 4 occassions and I tread to think what a Sunderland equaliser would of done to our confidence. Thankfully we grinded it out. 

Thought Gabby, Benteke, our centre backs and Westwood played great.

Westwood motm

Overall a decent performance. We looked dangerous in the second half and the fact we're moaning about squandering chances means we're actually creating chances which is good.

Having Vlaar back was evident although I don't think Clark and Baker have been that bad in recent weeks. Lowton was solid, Luna all over the shop again - he's one player I'm confident isn't good enough for the Prem. 

Bacuna was good, seems to be our only real creative spark. Westy was okay, Delph was poor by his standards. Benteke showed what he could do in flashes - really wish that goal had gone in, would have done his confidence a world of good.

Gabby worked tirelessly and took his goal well. He's actually turned into a half decent footballer now as opposed to being effectively a sprinter who would run onto through balls in the MON days. His hold up play is good and he makes the right runs, think he's been our stand out performer so far this season along with Delphoid and Guzan.

Now a little thought on the possession thing. It seems to me that Lambert is choosing consciously that we only have a small amount of the ball during the game as part of his tactics. It seems efficiency, getting men behind the ball and countering is what he's aiming for and despite a couple of lucky wins, we're 11th in the table...a position we're expected to be at this stage in the season. Kinda makes the whole Lambert out nonsense look stupid eh?

Great 3 points, UTV

I nearly had a heart attack but a VITAL win for the Villa!!
Yep back to the heart attack games. Tough to handle with a hangover. We would have certainly conceded in this game last season so all credit to them for the win. Both teams were visibly knackered but even so the quality in this league is scary at times Edited by villaglint

That was a tough game to watch. Benteke came back to life in the 2nd half. He's can be lethal when he faces goal and runs at people, but we haven't seen much of that this season. Hopefully he'll continue with that and find his shooting boots in the process.

Vlaar really makes a huge difference. When he went off I was sure we'd crumble, but tip o'the hat to the team who looked just as well organized after the sub. Gabby was excellent and I thought Lowton did very well too. Generally good overall, Luna and Weimann still frustrating to watch but not as bad as usual. 

Not the best match ever, but huge improvement on the last couple of games. Add in a win and I am pretty damn pleased. More worried about the next couple of games but huge 3 points anyway. Great start to the year, hope it continues.

again possession means nothing

Bc6O5sHCQAArrgd.png

we have played 10 games where we had less than 44% we have won 6, draw 2 and lost 2

I wouldn't say it means nothing. But it is a very overrated stat - I would think the amount of time you are in the opponents half more meaningful. I think everyone would agree we aren't a great team at the moment - Lets hope lambert came improve things over the coming months

Opta Stat - Aston Villa have won every game where they've had less than 37% possession. Efficient.

massive win, well done lads. anyone go up today? we take many up? heard a few of our lot got arrested for letting off flares. back to the game though, it really was an important win. just wish we could build on it which we wont

I think the manager has bigger problems to address right now. Benteke will not be ready for Sat and either will Vlaar. Both have a chance of Sunderland. Needs to just try and stop the rot by getting a point against Swansea and then hopefully get these guys back and try to get a result or two and get the confidence levels back up. I'm sure it will be at some stage though..

All praise the great oracle HairyHands.

Whoa. Hairyhands is like Jesus or something
  • Like 2

Credit to defence, as against Swansea they had better possession but they only managed a single shot on target.

Ah but the moaners will say they could of had so many more and against a better team we'd of lost.

Wouldn't call them moaners more-like realists, but let's not start the name calling, and enjoy the day. 

Tough game to watch at times, but I'm happy, and what a start to the new year.

• Like 2

It was nerve wracking, it is always is when you're one up away from home, but in fairness, the longer it went on the more we created and the less they did - we could have had three or four in the last half hour and I don't think 2-0 would have flattered us at all.

Â