Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

I think a lot of it has to do with confidence. I've seen them play some good stuff (that move against Sunderland) but theres no one on the pitch to take charge. Everyone seems terrified of the ball when things aren't going well but they play really well when they feel comfortable.

I really don't think we set up to play hoof ball.

But there are no leaders when Vlaar is out

• Like 1

I think a lot of it has to do with confidence. I've seen them play some good stuff (that move against Sunderland) but theres no one on the pitch to take charge. Everyone seems terrified of the ball when things aren't going well but they play really well when they feel comfortable.

I really don't think we set up to play hoof ball.

But there are no leaders when Vlaar is out

Lambert failed to sign a leader on the pitch again this summer. It was what we were crying out for all last season.

Scenario:
We stay up, finish 14th, performances up and down for the rest of the season.
United finish 5th and Moyes gets the boot.
Would people like to get Moyes over Lambert?

Damn right! IF Moyes got the boot from United, then I reckon a club of our size is where he'd need to look for his next job.
Moyes>>>>>Lambert.

i'd have thought by now villa fans have had enough of Scottish managers. Scottish managers are poor unless they end in Fergie.

So, Bill Shankly, Jock Stein & Matt Busby was poor.?......I would suggest we just picked the wrong ones.
  • Like 1

To be blunt Blandy i feel that Lambert has made an absolute pigs ear of the job and has only lasted this long due to following Mcleish.

If anyone made a pig’s ear of a job it was McLeish. He had a massively difficult job to do but performed it very badly and consequently the next manager had an absolute mountain to climb. When Lambert took over the forum was full of people stressing what a huge task he had on his hands and advising patience. Once RL’s budget limitations became clear most reasonable people thought that we would struggle to make significant progress until the big-wage earners were off the books

Right from the off he played a system which required better players to implement and he didn't have the budget to get those players.

This isn't true, in fact Lambert is mostly criticised for dumbing down our approach .

We had a striker at the club who generally scored one in two but required service from wide positions to get the best out of him yet rather than Lambert purchasing wide players to get the best out of Bent or subsequently Benteke he devised a system that completely alienated Bent.

No wrong again Morpheus, Bent is a throw-back to a previous era - out and out poachers are disappearing from the game. Bents lack of impact at Fulham is further proof of this

Benteke did however flourish last season but he was new to the Premiership and consequently Premiership teams took a while to find out how to nulify the threat from Benteke. As we've seen this season Benteke is a shadow of the player he was last season and yes that may be due to injury but Premiership defenders are now getting much closer to him and actually roughing him up a little which he doesn't seem to like.

Benteke has not yet been fully fit this season and as he is easily our best player this has had a huge impact

We need to get another wide player in with service also coming from Albrighton to try and get around that and be less predictable in attack.

We need a couple of quality players for sure - whether one of these should be a wide man in open for debate. Vertainly playing two wide men without first addressing how we better win abd distribute the ball from midfield is nonsensical

Lambert has also been very poor in the transfer market

In your biased opinion

an assessment of his success can probably best be made once we have had a chance to see a team with all his first choice signings fit and performing

and this can be gaged by the standard of football and if those players purchased are any better than those who have left. The football has been horrid to watch and with the exception of Benteke (last season) and Vlaar i do not see much else that is better than before. Guzan could be deemed another but i really don't classify him as a Lambert signing. So at best three out of sixteen players is a very poor return quality wise in the transfer market.

Again you've very badly missed the point - Lambert has come into a fire-fighting situation and was tasked with replacing a complete squad on a shoestring. Players that cost us over £80m went out and players costing half that, came in. Very few reasonable people would expect that a team should be strengthened by replacing players at £55k a week with £10k a week players but collectively that is what Lambert has achieved - in his first season utilising far less resources, he achieved a better points total and league position than McL, a task made doubly difficult by the absolute shambles that he took over. This season we are doing a little better again points and position-wise, despite a bad run of injuries and some poor form from our better players.

If you are talking about Lamberts success in the transfer market - it will of course always be a little hit and miss when dealing down in the bargain basement but for me, Guzan is better than Given at half the cost, and Steer appears to be a very decent back-up keeper on a free, so 2 for 2 there. I think Lowton, Okore, Vlaar and Luna represent much better value at say £12m and average £20k a week, than Hutton, Dunne, Collins, Warnock at say £20m and average £50k a week, Would anyone argue Holman, Makoun, Ireland at £14m and average £40k a week represent better value than KEA, Bacuna, Westwood and Sylla at £8m and a generous £15k a week? Benteke better than Bent- definitely, Kozak better than Heskey - probably and can only get better. Players like Bowery and Helenius were bought as squad-fillers and for the future (and cost peanuts). We've got a few than haven't yet made the grade like Tonev and Bennett and if they don't come good we will move them on and won't have lost too much.

Is this squad the end game for Lambert? I wouldn't have thought so - they are players bought in to do a job and as time goes on the ones that don't make the grade will be replaced by better players once finances become easier. Far from a failure I think Lambert has delivered what was asked - cheap, low wage players to retain premier league status whilst books were balanced.

Tactics have also left a lot of head scratching. We are too static and resort to hoof because our players are too easily marked. That has to come down to Lambert and his coaching staff and really when you look at it in the cold light of day there is not much to commend Lambert's tenure with us.

Probably not if you were expecting huge improvements over the past 18 months or a challenge for the top half. If on the other hand you were hoping that Lambert could rid the club of a band of expensively assembled under-performers, build a squad on a tight budget, protect our premier league status and build a platform capable of improvment then he's done ok.

We've got a couple of games coming up in which its difficult to see us take any points, however in my opinion it is crucial that we maintain support and confidence so that we can approach the WBA game with the right attitude

Many people are saying we are only two games away from the relegation zone but this mis-understands the situation - teams below us are not winning week after week, in fact they are struggling to accumulate even a point a game - yesterday was a prime example, the nine teams in action from 10th place down took a total of six points between them. By the end of the season there will likely be less than 10 points between 10th and 17th - to have a a 5 point gap at the halfway stage is not bad, particularly as we haven't played very well yet. If we lose the next five we will be in trouble but not losing the next two is not automatically disaster.

My frustration with the Lambert out argument is summed up by a conversation with a Villa supporters in the pub last night - he went into an extended rant about what a tosser Lambert was for not signing Defoe from Spurs. When I pointed out that this was £90k a week Defoe that we were talking about, he retorted with "Lambert's got no ****' ambiton" - it is this kind of dim-witted, lack of understanding of our position that is driving much of over-expectation and lack of patience that we are suffering from

Lambert is a decent manager and certainly right at the top end of what we could attract - in fact, given that he has had so much difficulty speaks to me much more about the size of the task than it does about the abilities of the man. It's interesting to me the OGS was willing to take on an owner like Vincent Tan but not perpared to take on Randy Lerner

• Like 2

Sky article

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert says he "never stops worrying" about getting the sack.
The Scot is under intense pressure following a poor run of form that has seen Villa lose five of their last seven games in all competitions.
The midlands side's home record is also disappointing, with just two victories and six defeats from 10 top-flight games.
Lambert's side were also knocked out of the FA Cup by Sheffield United last weekend and they face a tough task in the Sky Live game against Arsenal at Villa Park on Monday night.
Lambert says that he has a good relationship with chairman Randy Lerner, but always works with "that fear" of losing his job.
He said: "I never stop worrying. I'm not immune from it.
"The relationship between me and Randy is what it is. You are never immune from anything, and I would never view it that way.
"You just keep going - there is no secret formula to it. You just keep going and don't lose focus on what you are trying to do. I will never waver from that."
And asked ahead of the Arsenal contest how he had been feeling in the days since the cup tie, Lambert said: "The same way I do after every other game (Villa have lost).
"I don't sleep great, I don't eat great. The usual stuff.
"It is just the life of a football manager. It is a great job, but you don't feel great (after defeats).
"And contrary to other people's reports, I never degraded the competition at all.
"I tried to win the game, I put the best team out I possibly could and we got knocked out. Good luck to Sheffield United. We weren't good enough."

Edited by blandy

Sky article

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert says he "never stops worrying" about getting the sack.

The Scot is under intense pressure following a poor run of form that has seen Villa lose five of their last seven games in all competitions.

The midlands side's home record is also disappointing, with just two victories and six defeats from 10 top-flight games.

Lambert's side were also knocked out of the FA Cup by Sheffield United last weekend and they face a tough task in the Sky Live game against Arsenal at Villa Park on Monday night.

Lambert says that he has a good relationship with chairman Randy Lerner, but always works with "that fear" of losing his job.

"The relationship between me and Randy is what it is. You are never immune from anything, and I would never view it that way.

"You just keep going - there is no secret formula to it. You just keep going and don't lose focus on what you are trying to do. I will never waver from that."

And asked ahead of the Arsenal contest how he had been feeling in the days since the cup tie, Lambert said: "The same way I do after every other game (Villa have lost).

"It is just the life of a football manager. It is a great job, but you don't feel great (after defeats).

"And contrary to other people's reports, I never degraded the competition at all.

"I tried to win the game, I put the best team out I possibly could and we got knocked out. Good luck to Sheffield United. We weren't good enough."

Doesn't really say anything, but Lambert never really gives anything away to the press anyway, at least not on purpose.

He's the type to say that even if he were top of the table he'd still have the fear of getting the sack. I don't think there's any hidden message in this.

Sky article

It really does sound like a pretty awful job doesn't it? But then, that's why they get rewarded so handsomely.

A lot of our players however seem to carry themselves as if they don't give much of a shit.

Scenario:

We stay up, finish 14th, performances up and down for the rest of the season.

United finish 5th and Moyes gets the boot.

Would people like to get Moyes over Lambert?

Damn right! IF Moyes got the boot from United, then I reckon a club of our size is where he'd need to look for his next job.

Moyes>>>>>Lambert.

i'd have thought by now villa fans have had enough of Scottish managers. Scottish managers are poor unless they end in Fergie.

So, Bill Shankly, Jock Stein & Matt Busby was poor.?......I would suggest we just picked the wrong ones.

get the shovel and we can get shankly then

• Like 2

Perhaps these infamous phone calls between him and Lerner are not as cordial as they used to be.

"Randy, Hello, it's Paul here..."

"Paul? Oh, hi, Paul, how's it going? Let me know when we need to sack that Lambert guy. I hear he didn't win too many matches recently!"

"Er, no...Randy, this is Paul, Paul Lambert, the manager, ringing for one of our regular 'chats'..."

"Oh, why do I keep doing that? Hi, er...Paul, how's it going? Love the way the balance sheet is looking but did you win any matches recently?"

"We lost our FA Cup tie at home to a team floundering at the bottom of League 1 but before that..."

"OK Paul, that's fine. have to dash now I'm afraid but thanks for phoning.If you see Faulkner in the corridor, ask him to call me."

• Like 4

Still behind Paul:) Hope we can get some help this window....

Help to Buy? Perhaps Dave Cameron can get George to extend his insane policy to cover Villa, so that the tax payer picks up the bill for our dud purchases?

no chance as RL & PL never went to Eaton.

Confidence is they key.

Essentially our team is currently the same as it was at the end of last season when we were ‘okay’ an average mid-table team.

Vlaar back and Benteke scoring a few would be a real big boost, massive in fact.

Even though I agree totally its about confidence. It should'nt take this long for a pro manager and his staff to install it back into the players. Part of their job I would have thought.

Many people are saying we are only two games away from the relegation zone but this mis-understands the situation - teams below us are not winning week after week, in fact they are struggling to accumulate even a point a game - yesterday was a prime example, the nine teams in action from 10th place down took a total of six points between them. By the end of the season there will likely be less than 10 points between 10th and 17th - to have a a 5 point gap at the halfway stage is not bad, particularly as we haven't played very well yet. If we lose the next five we will be in trouble but not losing the next two is not automatically disaster.

Palace have picked up more points since Pulis took over than we have in that same time period.

Sunderland have done the same with poyet.

I think Poyet is a good manager and Sunderland will stay up comfortably. Carrol back for west ham they could start picking up points.

Norwich, palace, west brom, Cardiff or Fulham for me to go down. Obvs not going to say Villa :)