Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

Agree about Lerner.

He is slowly killing the club. However Lambert is the one responsible for who he has bought, setting the team up and the way we play.

Seeing us play aimless long balls time after time for 90 minutes is totally unacceptable for a premier league club.

Im watching the game again on football first and its even more pathetic than i remember from being at VP earlier. We win the ball back and just boot it upfield and its been like this for months.

Lambert and his team are not doing their job properly im afraid and this hoof ball shouldnt just be accepted. 

Back him or sack him. None of this "he'll be good in the long term" crap as we can't afford to take that risk. The long term could be Championship football.

If Lambert isn't allowed to sign 3 players with experience next month we will be one of the favourites for the drop on recent form. We look absolutely lost.

Lerner needs to act mid-season for the first time since signing Bent.

• Like 3

Cant be arsed with the debate - (again) - but wouldn't like the thread to be unrepresentative ! For me it is simple. In order to get off the stupid Manager merry go round (suddenly Bruce and Jol are going to be in favour...who will it be next month) that so many teams fall for and ultimately fail because of, we have to name our man and stick with him for 3 years. As it happens I think Pl will get it right and we are just currently in a downward part of an overall upward curve...but even if I didn't think so I still think the guy we have has to have 3 years. Otherwise we will definitely ALWAYS be bobbing around 18th-9th. The only possible way out is to be brave and bold and stick with a guy to let his plans come to fruititon.

yes I know at the moment anyone could level any number of negatives, but thats the only way as I see it.

• Like 2

It's only worth sticking with a manager if they're the right man for the job.  Lambert clearly isn't, with his outdated tactics and dreadful acquisitions.  His only answer to our rotten play is to mumble incoherently about "couldn't fault the effort" and "we go again".  The man is a clueless idiot.

Just watched that sack of shit game again put that with lamberts shit interview the heirachy can stick it up there arse i kbiw exactly what sort of football ive seen lately. What makes me sick reporter asked lambert about the 27% possesion at home. Knobhead replied " yeah were missing players who who lambert are we missing ill tell ya f##king who vlaar who hoofs it all the time okore who we dont know about and benteke none of them help with ball retention so stop using that as an excuse you complete rocket polisher your team is shit your tactics ate shit and your a shit manager resign before you damage your carear even more every time villa play you are damagibg your prospects of getting a job when unemplyed. Im so fu##ing angry you are wrecking my life the team i love has fallen to rubble right on front of my eyes and the only man that can help dont watxh our games. I really hope in jan you get sum experience cos you are walking on a shoe string get jans transfer window done earlier rather than later and make amends.

I don't want us to sack Paul Lambert right now, because it wouldn't do any good I think. No person with any respect for themselves would point out this job and think they can do anything to rectify our position. A new candidate wouldn't be able to forge his own identity in half a season, and especially not with this squad. Even though we have gotten a lot of very poor footballers and young players without any talent, they are still Lambert's players and they trust the manager I would assume. A new guy wouldn't make it better in such a short time and we would risk making it even worse. Lambert got us into this mess by employing naive tactics, buying poor players and so on, he must be the one to get us out of it before the season ends. If the system is still wildly failing come May, then the chairman can make a decision based on the season as a whole.

I just looked at the statistics from today's game, and over 90 minutes we managed to complete 144 successful passes. That is 1.6 passes pr. minute in average. Even Crystal Palace managed to do better away to Manchester City, Norwich had 297 passes against Man Utd and even Fulham had 359 completed passes against Hull when they lost 6-0. Now I am not the one to put much emphasize on completed passes in general, because like we saw Fulham did lose 6-0 to a very poor Hull, but I think Lambert contradicted himself wildly in his post-match interview. He was given the stats about our 27% possession in the game, and he brushed it off because he said possession didn't win you games - goals did. That is correct sir, but how the hell are you going to win a football game when you have 1.6 passes pr. minute and hold the ball for 27% of the time? Look at our games, we never score! We miraculously won at Soton employing the same nightmare, but we all should be smart enough to understand that lightning does actually strike now and again - but any club with those numbers will most likely relegate over the course of 38 games. If we are not even managing to pass the ball to each other or completing more passes, then there is something ridiculously wrong with the manager, the training, the setup and the way the players relate to these things. Sort it out!

Edit: And by the way, I actually think many of our players will have huge difficulties understanding Paul Lambert in training and in general. I am Norwegian, I have lived in London for a year and I practice English pretty well, at least when listening and writing. However, this guy makes Alex Ferguson sound like a narrator for an instruction tape of Scottish 101. I am not having a dig at him or anything, I just think it's amusing since I can't even hear a word he is mumbling when paying close attention either. It's strange when Wenger, Mourinho, Pellegrini and all the others have a better chance of communicating with their players compared to ours who speaks in mother tongue.

Edited by Papillon
  • Like 3

I don't want us to sack Paul Lambert right now, because it wouldn't do any good I think. No person with any respect for themselves would point out this job and think they can do anything to rectify our position. A new candidate wouldn't be able to forge his own identity in half a season, and especially not with this squad. Even though we have gotten a lot of very poor footballers and young players without any talent, they are still Lambert's players and they trust the manager I would assume. A new guy wouldn't make it better in such a short time and we would risk making it even worse. Lambert got us into this mess by employing naive tactics, buying poor players and so on, he must be the one to get us out of it before the season ends. If the system is still wildly failing come May, then the chairman can make a decision based on the season as a whole.

I just looked at the statistics from today's game, and over 90 minutes we managed to complete 144 successful passes. That is 1.6 passes pr. minute in average. Even Crystal Palace managed to do better away to Manchester City, Norwich had 297 passes against Man Utd and even Fulham had 359 completed passes against Hull when they lost 6-0. Now I am not the one to put much emphasize on completed passes in general, because like we saw Fulham did lose 6-0 to a very poor Hull, but I think Lambert contradicted himself wildly in his post-match interview. He was given the stats about our 27% possession in the game, and he brushed it off because he said possession didn't win you games - goals did. That is correct sir, but how the hell are you going to win a football game when you have 1.6 passes pr. minute and hold the ball for 27% of the time? Look at our games, we never score! We miraculously won at Soton employing the same nightmare, but we all should be smart enough to understand that lightning does actually strike now and again - but any club with those numbers will most likely relegate over the course of 38 games. If we are not even managing to pass the ball to each other or completing more passes, then there is something ridiculously wrong with the manager, the training, the setup and the way the players relate to these things. Sort it out!

hello mr paul lambert laughable post

The way the players and Gabby ran to the coaching team today - they obviously get on well. It's an important relationship and that's kinda when i realized that, yes although times are a bit shit, i want Lambert to stay and prove himself. The effort is all there, its the lack of quality that's the problem. If Lambert had a decent budget he'd get a quality squad together. But he doesn't so that's why its a long term project for him - as of now. Im just praying Lerner sells soon and Lambert has what he needs from some football fanatic billionaire not some American 'soccer franchise' clearing in the woods.

Also let's not forget this is still the same team that went five games undefeated, and previous to that beat Citeh and Arsenal. Call it luck - who the F*ck really cares it's a win and you were all celebrating when it happened. Lambert's not stupid he can see where the problems are but this squad is what he has.

Also I've gotta point out theres 9/10 teams in the same position as us …. most spent more.

If he really does that bad come the summer then hey no one will complain when he leaves/gets sacked.

Edited by tomh621

The way the players and Gabby ran to the coaching team today - they obviously get on well. It's an important relationship and that's kinda when i realized that, yes although times are a bit shit, i want Lambert to stay and prove himself. The effort is all there, its the lack of quality that's the problem. If Lambert had a decent budget he'd get a quality squad together. But he doesn't so that's why its a long term project for him - as of now. Im just praying Lerner sells soon and Lambert has what he needs from some football fanatic billionaire not some American 'soccer franchise' clearing in the woods.

Also let's not forget this is still the same team that went five games undefeated, and previous to that beat Citeh and Arsenal. Call it luck - who the F*ck really cares it's a win and you were all celebrating when it happened. Lambert's not stupid he can see where the problems are but this squad is what he has.

what are you on about lambert cant see anything he wont imorove us he will relegate us wiah peopl would face facts

Howard Hodgson@HodgsonHoward Protected Tweets5m

Just had it confirmed by PF, Lambert will remain in his position for the long term. They are loathed to sack another manager. #paingoesonExpandExcellant news.am glad we are trying to achieve a long term goal and not just swapping managers every couple of seasons :)

And we are suppose to rely on this as ITK? Hmmmm BTW that is the son not the father.

What's your issue with the crebility then? you don't think he spoke to PF or that PF would tell him?

To answer your question I would be surprised if PF would discuss the possibility of replacing the manager with a fan wherever he sits in the ground.

HH claims to sit in the directors' box, I have no idea whether he does or even if you can. Based on what he used to tweet I would be sceptical anyway. Just my opinion of course and more than happy to be proved wrong

Harry

I don't know whether PF said this, but HH jnr does sit in the directors box and I am almost certain that a former VT ITK was fed stuff by PF so I wouldn't be at all surprised. All that said even if PF said this, so what? It is only what I would expect the CEO to say. However if he said the reverse it would be totally unprofessional.

Mike,

I have a natural scepticism of so called 'in the knows' but accept that fans/posters do occasionally hear things as I have done on occasion.

As regards HH much depends on whether PF openly volunteered the information or whether he was asked a direct question by HH. If it was the latter, which I guess it was, I would hardly expect PF to say he was going to fire Lambert or that his job was under threat so why tweet about it it, apart from the obvious reasons?

Back on topic.....

The simple fact for me and many fans who have hitherto backed Lambert is that matters are going from bad to worse and Paul Lambert is like a rabbit in the headlights of the oncoming juggernaut. I have little faith in Faulkner although he talks a good game when I have heard him speak and as for Lerner it's abundantly clear he has neither the inclination or the money, or both, to take the club forward. Given how he has been let down by successive managers I can hardly blame him although the lack of any real financial discipline sits with him.

It's a sad state of affairs that I am sitting down in Bournemouth on holiday, your neck of the woods I recall!, not caring one jot that I missed todays game and my STs have been wasted. Sad state of affairs but is suspect common to many fans. That is how far we have fallen when you have no real expectation that we can beat an average side at Villa Park although we all travel in hope rather than expectation these days.

Ha ha - I wish I had stayed in Bournemouth on Thursday and today!

I actually quite like Faulkner but I think he is a CEO in name only and that Lerner pulls all the strings. As for Lambert, I actually agree that he is currently bewildered but I do wonder whether any of the other likely candidates would have done any better.

The day Lerner signed McLeish was the day I totally lost confidence in him and he has done nothing since to change my mind - quite the reverse. Sadly however I think if lambert doesn't get some experience in during January he is a dead man walking and Lerner will bring someone else in on exactly the same terms who will do no better.

Lambert is a dead man walking already. He has squandered the money he has been given but more importantly his tactics and formation are next to non-existent and will lead to relegation. OK I accept we have suffered with injuries but the inept crap we have been treated to sits wholly with Lambert. I don't have an obvious replacement but I suspect a new manager could get so much more out of our existing players.

what are you on about lambert cant see anything he wont imorove us he will relegate us wiah peopl would face facts

Im EMPATHISING im not blind or deluded, I'm merely being realistic. Who else is gunna do a better job!? Also you'd notice i put if he IS doing that much of a bad job we can replace him otherwise a different manager is gunna come in with the SAME resources as Lambert and will then need time to get to know every one… Im scared about either way this goes to be perfectly honest with you. I'm neither here nor there.

I am going to stick my neck out here and say that we the fans have to stick with PL. The guy killing our club is LERNER!

In very recent times like many I have been very critical of PL and even now find it very hard to defend him, especially after the last two games.

BUT when the game started today I looked at the 1st 11 and the subs and actually felt sorry for him. We didn't even have one outfield defender on the bench: El Ahmadi, Helenius, Albrighton, Steer, Sylla, Bowery, Kozák

Lambert maybe stupidly decided to leave Norwich and take on the AVFC challenge. He inherited a dysfunctional squad which included Collins, Warnock, Dunne, Hutton, Makoun and lazy ***** like Ireland and Bent. Our best GK; Guzan had been released. He inherited the useless Holman a Mcleish signing and too cap it all sadly there was no prospect of our team captain Petrov coming back.

His first jobs were to get rid of the big earners, cut the wage bill, then find sufficient players quickly to make up our depleted squad while working within an imposed wage cap and limited transfer budget. Dempsey turned us down for Fulham (low wages) and we signed a bunch of lower league/foreign players. As I have said maybe he was stupid to take on the job but most wanted him and didn't realise the constraints he had agreed to.

OGS had been warned off Villa by Ferguson who obviously knew Lerner was mandating that costs had to be cut (too) quickly. Martinez turned us down (twice) when he heard the deal being offered and preferred Everton who hadn't imposed such ridiculous financial constraints.

I may regret this but I am going to start supporting Lambert again because he accepted the poisoned chalice when others wouldn't and hope (maybe against hope) that he can turn this mess around.

LERNER OUT!!!!

Yes that's right, lambert isn't responsible for coaching the players that he bought. Lambert doesn't pick the team, didn't buy a striker when we needed a creative midfielder, isn't responsible for the poor tactics. All of that is Lerner's fault !

What drivel.

I really wanted Lambert to do well here. I really thought Lambert would do well here. I bought into the "young and hungry" philosophy,  and at time have been quite proud of it. But it doesn't work. The players aren't learning quick enough, they're not developing quick enough, and quite frankly, buying "young and hungry" players just doesn't work. Every club would be doing it if it did.

I was all for getting rid of Ireland, Dunne, Collins, Bent, Warnock, Hutton etc.... but with the hope that the players brought in would be better than them. But they're not. Benteke aside, none of the players Lambert has bought in are better than the players they have replaced. The sooner both Lambert and Lerner piss off the better. I can accept not winning games if we were entertaining to watch. Afterall, football is supposed to be entertainment... isn't it? There's nothing entertaining about going to Villa Park. It's a lot of money to spend to watch complete and utter shite. I'm really not bothered about going to Villa Park now. I'd rather just stay in the pub. Watching this "football" is just awful. Seriously cant put 3 passes together, it's depressing. 4 years on the bounce now we've been absolutely awful to watch, I wonder why I bother paying the £500 for a season ticket just to be bored.

The sad thing is, the way Lerner is now running the club i really don't believe we could find a better manager then Lambert. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

The way the players and Gabby ran to the coaching team today - they obviously get on well. 

They mostly ignored Lambert. Has he lost the dressing room??

I thought that.  He just sort of waved them on while they mobbed somebody else.  Couldn't see who, Culverhouse maybe?

The way the players and Gabby ran to the coaching team today - they obviously get on well. 

They mostly ignored Lambert. Has he lost the dressing room??

I don't believe that for a second. Quite the opposite in fact. At the final whistle today he went on to the pitch and to a man shook hands with or embraced all the players. I found both that and the jubilant way he spoke on the radio interviews afterwards quite worrying. He acted like it was a job well done for the team when in fact we'd held out for a draw at home against Swansea and had just 27% possession and one decent shot on target all game. The bar seems to have hit rock bottom and that result/performance today is now seen as an achievement.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

As I said I will find it very hard to defend him, but IF it is true that he was told that he had a very limited wage budget I am not certain he could have signed much better and gambled on kids and foreign players - clearly many haven't worked out but the fact that Martinez turned us down twice must tell us something about the constraints. I don't know a lot about the average wages of premiership standard players but my sense is that Lambert didn't have any choice.

If Lerner told lambert that there was little money for wages and the budget was tight, how is everything Lerner's fault ? Lambert clearly understood whatever constraints were in place and felt he could operate within them.

The problem is not financial, most of the team that played the final half of last season are still with us. We played some promising football between February and May, and yet Lambert tinkered with things to such an extent that this year we're a team of strangers once again.

Lambert gas spent over £40M since he arrived. In the same time, Steve Bruce he spent around £20M, got Hull promoted and looks to be establishing them in the premier league. In the same period, Everton have spent £47M and are now challenging for champions league football. The budget is not the problem, Lambert is just not up to the job.

• Like 1