What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

Took the other half to Opus in the city centre tonight. Billed as one of the top 5 restaurants in the city and while we had a nice time and the food was nice I felt it didn't quite deserve the £100 I spent on the both of us.

My starter was one fishcake, yes, one fishcake with poached quail egg. Lasted about 30 seconds. Main was turbot with tempura cauliflower, purple potato mash, spiced cauliflower puree & tomato/coriander salsa thing. Again, no where near enough on the plate. Pudding was 'blackforest gateau'. It was tiny, about the size of an afternoon tea triangle sandwich. It all tasted nice but I was so disappointed with the portion sizes.

I wasn't expecting normal portion sizes but even by fine dining standards this was a bit paltry. Simpsons or Purnells next I think.

The missus's had a much better time of it, panfried quail with quail leg confit & pea puree to start and a decent amount too. Then 3 big beef medallions, peppercorn sauce and the best chips I've ever had followed by honey & vanilla crème brulee.

Maybe it was just what I ordered but still, I expected more from the actual food as service/surroundings and ambience were spot on.

8/10

Took the other half to Opus in the city centre tonight. Billed as one of the top 5 restaurants in the city and while we had a nice time and the food was nice I felt it didn't quite deserve the £100 I spent on the both of us.

My starter was one fishcake, yes, one fishcake with poached quail egg. Lasted about 30 seconds. Main was turbot with tempura cauliflower, purple potato mash, spiced cauliflower puree & tomato/coriander salsa thing. Again, no where near enough on the plate. Pudding was 'blackforest gateau'. It was tiny, about the size of an afternoon tea triangle sandwich. It all tasted nice but I was so disappointed with the portion sizes.

I wasn't expecting normal portion sizes but even by fine dining standards this was a bit paltry. Simpsons or Purnells next I think.

The missus's had a much better time of it, panfried quail with quail leg confit & pea puree to start and a decent amount too. Then 3 big beef medallions, peppercorn sauce and the best chips I've ever had followed by honey & vanilla crème brulee.

Maybe it was just what I ordered but still, I expected more from the actual food as service/surroundings and ambience were spot on.

8/10

Wouldn't bother with purnells. Really overrated. 7 courses and still come out thinking could eat more. Food is ok, but nothing to write home about. Think it is also £75 per head.

Haven't been to Simpsons but the old man has been and he says it is fantastic.

Got into fat bastard mode earlier ....crispy shredded beef, chips rice and BBQ sauce.. A bag of those sport shaped sweets... Tried to be good recently.. Regretting it now as stuffed and stomach looks pregnant

I liked purnells, it's not cheap but the food was good, the bistro is very good, £15 roast dinner is superb

Five guys is too expensive, burger is good, chips were crap, drinks machine is ace, the 30 minute queue for 2 burgers, 1 chips and 1 drink (for £22) isn't worth it though

My ongoing search for somewhere decent to eat in swansea continued last night at Patricks restaurant in Mumbles.

Ambiance - like sitting in the living room of an old peoples home.

Starter - rabbit terrine - dull

Main - gressingham duck - distinctly average, tasteless and uninspiring

Dessert - elderflower curd, meringue and shortbread - omfg, amazing. The sweetest pudding I've ever had and I'd happily have paid the entire £100 bill just for one mouthful of that taste sensation.

Can't imagine I'd go back but I will dream of that dessert for years to come.

• 2 weeks later...

Just smashed in a "one of every animal, BBQ special". Pork steak marinated in Jack Daniels BBQ sauce, Chinese chicken thighs, minted lamb cutlet, and possibly the best rib eye steak I've ever cooked myself. Feel full now, and getting some major meat sweats, but so worth it! 

• Like 3

Just smashed in a "one of every animal, BBQ special". Pork steak marinated in Jack Daniels BBQ sauce, Chinese chicken thighs, minted lamb cutlet, and possibly the best rib eye steak I've ever cooked myself. Feel full now, and getting some major meat sweats, but so worth it! 

so-hot.gif

• Like 1

Â