Blue nose

VillaGoMarching

This probably could have gone in the small Heath thread but wanted to get something cleared up.

In my life time as a villa fan (20 years), the term 'blue nose' has always been a derogatory term in my eyes. My friends and family have always used as such.

So I've been to the German market this week and seen all sorts of paraphernalia, with blue nose scrawled on. Gingerbread, Santa hats etc. while all the villa stuff had 'Aston villa' on it.

So is this an attempt by small Heath fans to reclaim the term or have they always used the term as a form of endearment (sick)?

Blues fans self identify as bluenoses and have done for years.  The fact that you see it as a pejorative term has little bearing on the rest of the world.

You do realise some of the arguments about why "your team is better" are almost completely mirrored by Richard Dawkins God delusion.

At a higher level, its 11 men from around the world, picked by a man who could be from anywhere, with a work record of all sorts of imtermediate places, who happens to be temporarilly at the one you pay to see. That "team" is owned by a business person or company who think they can leverage their financial knowledge to make money out of you.

Getting bogged down in abuse of people who just happen to spend money supporting 11 different men from round the world, assembled by a different man under a different business person with whom you also have nothing in common but a temporary geographic location is a bit pointless. You're probably a Villa fan, because your dad was, or some other influence. If you'd been born 3 miles further south, west you'd be a bluenose yourself. Or a baggie. Or a manu fan. Or Crawley Town. Or River Plate or Grampus 8.

No point giving anything other than respect, to someone with whom you probably have more culturally shared things in common due to your socio-econoimic group and race/religion and gender, than some arbitary label applied due to some trivial difference in upbringing. If you choose to support the Villa, thats fine. Spend your energies on that.

Way to try and take the fun out of being a football fan :-) Part of it is rivalry and tribalism. It doesn't always make sense but there you go.

Exactly. Even if it is trivial, it`s a part of what football really is. If you look at it like that then you might as well be a glory hunter because you get better experiences that way. I do get the point but it`s a look that I don`t really get. I also believe that most clubs enjoy it much more if a local person coming through.

You do realise some of the arguments about why "your team is better" are almost completely mirrored by Richard Dawkins God delusion.

At a higher level, its 11 men from around the world, picked by a man who could be from anywhere, with a work record of all sorts of imtermediate places, who happens to be temporarilly at the one you pay to see. That "team" is owned by a business person or company who think they can leverage their financial knowledge to make money out of you.

Getting bogged down in abuse of people who just happen to spend money supporting 11 different men from round the world, assembled by a different man under a different business person with whom you also have nothing in common but a temporary geographic location is a bit pointless. You're probably a Villa fan, because your dad was, or some other influence. If you'd been born 3 miles further south, west you'd be a bluenose yourself. Or a baggie. Or a manu fan. Or Crawley Town. Or River Plate or Grampus 8.

No point giving anything other than respect, to someone with whom you probably have more culturally shared things in common due to your socio-econoimic group and race/religion and gender, than some arbitary label applied due to some trivial difference in upbringing. If you choose to support the Villa, thats fine. Spend your energies on that.

Away with you!  This makes far too much sense for a football discussion.

Â