Are the Beatles over-rated?

ender4

I've never seen the hype with the Beatles.  John Lennon was good, but listening to the White Album you can pick out what was written by Lennon and McCartney separately very easily.

Without Lennon there wouldn't have been a Beatles, and without Lennon, nobody would have ever heard of Paul McCartney.  Which would have been good.

I really can't stand Paul McCartney.

... the vaaast majority of people wouldn't know anything about Ringo's drumming ability, they just repeat what they've heard, that he wasn't very good.

Ringo says his best drumming is on 'Rain' - and it ain't great, but you're right, Joe Public don't care.

As for hearing him as the weak link in the band, the quickest way?  Sit at a drum kit with the Beatles on, you'll get close. Then try it with the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

• Like 1

Since the Beatles split up, everything Paul McCartney has done has been unutterably shit.  

I agree, apart from Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey.

Anyway as a Beach Boys/Brian Wilson fan I always thought BW's production and musical talent was way in front of the Beatles. Compare anything the scousers did in 63 or 64 and put it against Fun Fun Fun or I Get Around or The Warmth Of The Sun. No comparison.

Obviously most of teen America disagreed! But the Beatles had a producer, Brian did it all himself (songwriting, production, arrangements, 3 and 4 part harmonising) and most of that stuff still sounds great 50 years later.

• Like 2

Awaiting the arrival of Bickster (I can see he's viewing right now)....

Personally I love The Beatles. If ever there's a band I turn to, to cheer me up, it's them. They've written some mind blowing wonderful music, and a Hell of a lot of it as it goes. They've also written some dog shit. Revolver is a nailed on top 10 album of mine (the other 9 would change on a daily basis). 

These days McCartney has a lot to answer for, and Lennon was a selfish word removed, but when they were together magic happened. Add George to that (who actually wrote most of my favourite Beatles songs), and you've got a music making machine. Ringo is obviously considered a joke, but in my opinion he was no slouch either (not as a song writer, granted). 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68edB_Q1e4g

The long long list from Drat quoting lots of people influenced by the Beatles (which i won't quote).

As far as i can tell, it basically boils down to only Oasis from the last 20 years.

and a couple of people who admired John Lennon as a person rather than The Beatles music.

Either you didn't fully read the quotes and only cherry-picked the one's that suit or you're being intentionally ridiculous.

going back through it now to see what i missed.

let me start by listing the people i've heard of:

Bee Gees

Oasis

Queen

Lenny Kravitz

Kurt Cobain

Bob Dylan

The Monkees

Kiss

and take out those who's main career was pre 1990's, leaving:

Oasis

Lenny Kravitz

Kurt Cobain

Kurt Cobain's quote is about John Lennon, not about the Beatles or their music.

So that leaves Oasis & Leny Kravitz.   

They are the only two people in my musical lifetime that say that The Beatles were an influence (using that list)

Seeing that The Beatles were a pop-band, I guess the question is what current pop music or current pop artists were influenced by The Beatles?

Edited by ender4

Since the Beatles split up, everything Paul McCartney has done has been unutterably shit.  

I was at the McCartney concert after the Abu Dhabi GP a couple of years back and the Live and Let Die performance was stunning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU_tJtBYiB8

Buddy Holly > Elvis, every time. 

Controversial, eh?  B)

In fact, I could say Holly>Cochran>Presley, but that would be pushing it a bit!!

Not at all, I agree 100%. 

But this is my point. Elvis was not overrated in terms of influence and importance, so I have to acknowledge that, even though I don't enjoy his music. He opened the commercial gates for Holly, Cochran, and the (superior) black acts like Chuck Berry and Little Richard. Musically he was pretty damn good for about 18 months before going cheesy. 

The Beatles have the same status (although in this case, I happen to like their music, seeing as how I grew up with it). 

Am I'm right in thinking The Beatles actually said Dylan had a massive influence on them*? After they met him they changed from the pop stuff to the more 'serious' stuff.

*and gave them a lot of drugs.

Absolutely, especially on Lennon - things like "I'm a Loser" and "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" are his Dylan tributes. But it was a two-way street, as Dylan acknowledged. It was a bit of a friendly piss-take, but compare "Fourth Time Around" and "Norwegian Wood". 

I agree, apart from Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey.

Anyway as a Beach Boys/Brian Wilson fan I always thought BW's production and musical talent was way in front of the Beatles. Compare anything the scousers did in 63 or 64 and put it against Fun Fun Fun or I Get Around or The Warmth Of The Sun. No comparison.

Obviously most of teen America disagreed! But the Beatles had a producer, Brian did it all himself (songwriting, production, arrangements, 3 and 4 part harmonising) and most of that stuff still sounds great 50 years later.

C'mon Rob, you know how much Brian Wilson was driven by the desire to outdo The Beatles (whom he massively admired). 

"Girl Don't Tell Me" IS "Ticket to Ride" ! 

(Of course this one worked both ways, too - The Beatles (McCartney in particular) took Pet Sounds as a challenge, and responded with Sgt. Pepper. 

That's why the 60s was such a great decade for music. 

• Like 1

Wasn't just the music, they had a huge impact on the technical side of recording music. One of the big reasons they were so successful was because they produced the best recordings. They were among the first to use 4 tracks when recording, leading to huge leads in multitrack recordings, they introduced sampling to the mainstream, first use of feedback on a recording...

The list goes on.

They might not be the best band of all time, but there are so many arguments that can be made that they're the most influential.

• Like 1

Irrelevant. The effects and advances were broadcasted through the medium of the Beatles music.

If I produced some crazy recording effect and put it onto a track and that effect was picked up by everyone when recording. The track would be the thing that everybody remembered, not me.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Â