Are the Beatles over-rated?

ender4

Yeah, they've rubbished the idea already, and they don't need the money, but they'd be an instant smash, even if they sucked, and they probably would...

Well Zak is a much better drummer technically than his dad ever was. His guiding light was Keith Moon too not his Dad.

The long long list from Drat quoting lots of people influenced by the Beatles (which i won't quote).

As far as i can tell, it basically boils down to only Oasis from the last 20 years.

and a couple of people who admired John Lennon as a person rather than The Beatles music.

Either you didn't fully read the quotes and only cherry-picked the one's that suit or you're being intentionally ridiculous.

Everything you hear today owes something to them.

Nope, it is exactly overblown ludicrous statements like this, that makes me hate them even more

There are people out there that will tell you they invented psychedelia... Hello 13th Floor Elevators, just like that other great innovator David Jones they quite often took other peoples ideas and passed them off as their own. (there is nothing wrong with this, rock n roll is the ultimate derivative artform) but to then claim that everything owes something to the Beatles is ludicrous by the very nature of genres we're dealing with

There is plenty of music being made out there today and all the time since the 60's that is not influenced in any shape or form by the Beatles. I'd rate the Beatles influence of present day music as actually being lower than Kraftwerk

And if we're going to say that all music owes something to the Beatles we might as well take it back a step further and claim it all owes something to Lonnie Donegan and Elvis

There are plenty of acts completely devoid of any influence from the Beatles and even those that are will probably find that what they thought came from the Beatles actually came from someone else first

Sorry, but you're wrong. 

You think The 13th Floor Elevators would have existed without The Beatles? Not a chance. Nor The Velvet Undergound, or all those other bands that didn't sound like The Fabs. They needed the environment of guitar bands that exploded in the USA after the 1964 Ed Sullivan shows. 

Of course, your point about Lonnie Donegan and Elvis is correct. The Beatles were the product of Elvis, Chuck Berry, early motown girl groups and country - nothing exists in a vacuum. But some acts had a seismic effect that caused a major swerve. 

However, for the reasons LondonLax points out above, it'll never happen again. 

Nope - there had to be a first 'supergroup' - if it hadn't been McCartney and Lennon it would have been someone else.....

• Like 1

The best?

I think its debatable as to who the 'best' really are. Certainly the Beatles were possibly the most iconic in the terms of songwriting, just as the Stones were in their durability in that they are still rocking hard fifty years on and Elvis, whose hip-thrusting pure rock'n'roll gave purpose to a whole different generation.

We all have our favourites, our 'genre' but there have been so many others whose contribution to music has been hugely important, that to single out any one artist(s) is nigh impossible.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, personally I quite like the Beatles, but the changes were coming with or without them:

1959 Tamla Records formed in Detroit

1959 Buddy Holly, Ritchie Vallens and JP Richardson die in a plane crash

1959 Miles Davies, Kind of Blue

1959 Bo Diddley!

1959 Bill Haley and the Comets leave Decca after five years of hits

1959 Roy Orbison signs a record deal

1959 The Supremes are formed

1959 Jimi HENDRIX buys an electric guitar

1959 Albums released by Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Charlie Mingus, Miles Davies, Chuck Berry, Howlin’ Wolf, Ray Charles, Duane Eddy

1959 ‘Payola’ scandal

1959 Ben E King joins the Drifters

1960 Eddie Cochran dies

1960 Lionel Bart’s ‘Oliver’

1960 Neil Young starts a band

1960 Ritchie Blackmore starts a band

1960 Chubby Checker does the Twist

1961 Motown Records sign the Supremes

1961 The Miracles make Motown’s first million selling record

1961 Billboard splits the charts into categories so it isn’t just a list of rock n roll hits

1961 Ike & Tina Turner headline a California gig with the Beach Boys as support

June 1962 The Beatles release their first single

The Beatles are / were fantastic. They are proof that not all people on drugs are boring. They were never really bigger than Jesus, they just have better PR.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 3

Thinking back, my first album was Eddie Cochran, played repeatedly until I was told to turn the bloody thing off.

I'll bow to Xann on his music knowledge, but the vaaast majority of people wouldn't know anything about Ringo's drumming ability, they just repeat what they've heard, that he wasn't very good.

If you can hear him being the weakest in the band, you've got a good ear (except for, I think it's 'Let it Be' where he and / or the mix really is spaz).

Whatever Bickster says, undoubtedly the most important pop act of the second half of the 20th Century. 

OK, I'm biased because I grew up in the 60s, and the cliche 'soundtrack to my life' applies here. 

You may not like the sound (although it was amazing at the time), but they changed the course of popular music. Everything you hear today owes something to them. 

Not everything by any stretch, surely?  You can probably come up with some tenuous links, but it's hard to discern their influence on genres like rap, heavy metal and dance.

As with many things there is a "fashion" to try and be against the most popular things. To try and claim the Beatles were not the most influential of their generation is somewhat silly because history shows that they were. It's not just about the music it was about everything that surrounded them and what they were part of. The longevity of their mass appeal, the number of songs that they wrote or were key parts of, the number of other artists who still refer to them as influences etc all add up to show their place in musical history.

Someone mentioned Elvis earlier, he was more of a singer than a musician for me, ie. did not write many of his own songs etc, whereas the Beatles did write a fair amount, if not the majority of the music they published.

As with all music it's a very subjective thing and there are genre's and artists and tracks that some will say are fantastic whereas others will dismiss them as a pile of small heath. But for the Beatles to have lasted for so long as part of a general music scene does show that they were certainly something significant.

Â