Are the Beatles over-rated?

ender4

Well, having started listening to music in the 90's, the Beatles were way before my time.

But i've heard a few songs of theirs, and they all sounded pretty poor, with the exception of Let it Be.

Are they over-hyped, have the songs dated badly, or am i just misguided?

From what i've read about them, they were just another boyband like Westlife, Take That, etc who also get millions of screaming fans following their every move. Were the Beatles any different, or was it just because there weren't any other boybands around at the time?

I'm genuinely interested, not trolling.

edit - replaced One Direction with Take That as a better comparision

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

Whatever Bickster says, undoubtedly the most important pop act of the second half of the 20th Century. 

OK, I'm biased because I grew up in the 60s, and the cliche 'soundtrack to my life' applies here. 

You may not like the sound (although it was amazing at the time), but they changed the course of popular music. Everything you hear today owes something to them. 

• Like 2

I don't think so, I don't mind their early stuff but I prefer the later stuff, the early stuff was a bit teeny bop but was still catchy and good, their are a few bands I prefer to the beatles but I don't think their overrated, by no means the best band ever as some people think but still a great album band, you can't compare boy bands of today to the beatles because the beatles was not a boy band in the sense like westlife etc etc were, bands back in the 60s and 70s had genuine talent and made huge statements

Whatever Bickster says, undoubtedly the most important pop act of the second half of the 20th Century. 

OK, I'm biased because I grew up in the 60s, and the cliche 'soundtrack to my life' applies here. 

You may not like the sound (although it was amazing at the time), but they changed the course of popular music. Everything you hear today owes something to them. 

so it was partly because they were the first, and partly that the songs are dated now (probably expected seeing they are 50 years old!)

I loved Oasis in the 90's and they always said they were majorly influenced by the Beatles.  and they were huge as well.

I don't think so, I don't mind their early stuff but I prefer the later stuff, the early stuff was a bit teeny bop but was still catchy and good, their are a few bands I prefer to the beatles but I don't think their overrated, by no means the best band ever as some people think but still a great album band, you can't compare boy bands of today to the beatles because the beatles was not a boy band in the sense like westlife etc etc were, bands back in the 60s and 70s had genuine talent and made huge statements

What about Take That as a better comparision?   

They write their own songs, you have to admit they have talent, they probably had as many fans as the Beatles worldwide, and sold multiple millions across the world, and have been around for a long time (20 years?)

Ah - the great taboo - criticizing the Beatles !

IMO a quality band who made some good stuff - but to answer your question 'Yes' massively overrated - probably because they were the one of the first 'boy bands' - although they first single was in late 1962 - and they were finished by 1970. I would argue that in relative terms bands such as the 'The Jam'  'Duran Duran' are comparable - of course that will get slated because of rose tinted specs - Also check those albums - besides the blockbuster singles - there is plenty of of pretty average if not downright poor music...  

• Like 2

What about Take That as a better comparision?   

They write their own songs, you have to admit they have talent, they probably had as many fans as the Beatles worldwide, and sold multiple millions across the world, and have been around for a long time (20 years?)

I would hazard a guess that Take That don't have anywhere near as many fans as The Beatles have/had in their day. Nowhere near.

so it was partly because they were the first, and partly that the songs are dated now (probably expected seeing they are 50 years old!)

I loved Oasis in the 90's and they always said they were majorly influenced by the Beatles.  and they were huge as well.

You've actually hit the nail on the head why most Beatles songs won't become dated.

Noel Gallacher made an absolute fortune by copying them through Oasis and is still doing it.

I think any band considered to be world's greatest by millions are also going to get many millions thinking they are vastly over-rated.

Personally, I love them and think they rightfully deserve top spot. But, meh, it's all opinions ay it?

Â