Are the Beatles over-rated?

ender4

As for my opinion on The Beatles, they were pretty damn good. I'm not much of a "fan", their music doesn't sit with my mood very often but I can absolutely appreciate what they bring to the table for many and whether they were the first or not, their influences are clear whether musically or inspirationally. Forget the list Drat posted a few pages back I've lost count of the amount of times I have heard them mentioned as such by artists that I myself am fond of (and many more that I'm not).

They epitomise "pop" for me, which is astonishing 50 years on and being only 30 years young myself.

Morpheus, you're on to a wrong one there. The first quote is taken out of context.

It's clear to me and everyone else what Stefan meant, you're making yourself look foolish.

He never once inferred that Martin himself was irrelevant, it's reasonably clear the his point was that he is a PART of their success and that they are, in fact, a sum of their parts. It's a bit like saying that without Benteke we'd have been relegated last season. Irrelevant argument.

You've chosen to read what you like in order to cause an argument. Nobody is buying it.

Look again DDID and then tell me without Martin's specific involvement in Beatle music it would have been just as revolutionary and successful through the normal medium and thats what i was referring to.

Whether you or other posters buy that i couldn't give a monkeys.

Edited by Morpheus

Morpheus, you're on to a wrong one there. The first quote is taken out of context.

It's clear to me and everyone else what Stefan meant, you're making yourself look foolish.

He never once inferred that Martin himself was irrelevant, it's reasonably clear the his point was that he is a PART of their success and that they are, in fact, a sum of their parts. It's a bit like saying that without Benteke we'd have been relegated last season. Irrelevant argument.

You've chosen to read what you like in order to cause an argument. Nobody is buying it.

Look again DDID and then tell me without Martin's specific involvement in Beatle music it would have been just as revolutionary and successful through the normal medium and thats what i was referring to.

Whether you or other posters buy that i couldn't give a Gareth Bale.

Fixed.

• Like 2

I don't know why you've brought them in to it, they didn't even play their own instruments.

Micky Dolenz (sp) was a decent musician and wrote some good songs - check out Different Drum as covered by the Lemonheads

• Like 1

I don't know why you've brought them in to it, they didn't even play their own instruments.

Micky Dolenz (sp) was a decent musician and wrote some good songs - check out Different Drum as covered by the Lemonheads

Ahem. Different Drum was written by the great Michael Nesmith. 

I suppose George bloody Martin was their producer too. ;)

• Like 1

So the Beatles used technology that wasn't invented until after they'd split up? How is this possible? Using a tape loop is no sampling before anyone attempts that and if one did want to go down that line I'm damn sure the proponents of Musique Concrete were doing this before The Beatles were out of nappies

Pedant  .. Yellow Submarine used Sampling , not tape looping :P

That isn't sampling either, its just a single recording of a brass band slowed down and added to the master tape. Again proponents of musique concrete had been doing it for decades, hell even the BBC Radiophonic Workshop had been doing it and they even released records produced by none other than George Martin before the Beatles had cut their first record

Yes, of course they had. And how many people knew about it? No pop band had ever succeeded in getting it into the public consciousness. 

Dividing audiences since late 1968, John Lennon's sound collage Revolution 9 was an exercise in musique concrète influenced heavily by Yoko Ono and the avant-garde art world.

badge_itunes-lrg.gif

The recording emerged from Revolution 1, the final six minutes of which formed a lengthy, mostly instrumental jam. Lennon took the recording and added a range of vocals, tape loops and sound effects, creating Revolution 9, the longest track released during The Beatles' career.

The slow version of Revolution on the album went on and on and on and I took the fade-out part, which is what they sometimes do with disco records now, and just layered all this stuff over it. It was the basic rhythm of the original Revolution going on with some 20 loops we put on, things from the archives of EMI.

John Lennon

All We Are Saying, David Sheff

Although he made no direct contribution to Revolution 9, being in New York at the time, Paul McCartneyhad made a similar sound collage, the unreleased 14-minute Carnival Of Light, 18 months previously.

Revolution 9 was quite similar to some stuff I'd been doing myself for fun. I didn't think that mine was suitable for release, but John always encouraged me.

Paul McCartney

Anthology

The other Beatles and George Martin are said to have persuaded Lennon not to include Revolution 9 on the White Album, to no avail. Although McCartney had long been interested in musique concrète, particularly Karlheinz Stockhausen's Gesang der Jünglinge, it is likely that he was concerned at the effect Revolution 9 would have on the group's public perception.

I don't know what influence Revolution 9 had on the teenybopper fans, but most of them didn't dig it. So what am I supposed to do?

John Lennon, 1969

Anthology

Link

And this is a "boy band", just like Take That and One Direction.   :D

Edited by mjmooney

Ahem. Different Drum was written by the great Michael Nesmith.

Correct my error, my point still stands though

I find arguments over 'who got their first' tedious. It doesn't matter.

Although I understand when people claim The Beatles invented the wheel, it needs to be corrected.

Still, first is not a mark of quality, which is what ultimately matters.

You been talking to my missus again?

• Like 1

I find arguments over 'who got their first' tedious. It doesn't matter.

Although I understand when people claim The Beatles invented the wheel, it needs to be corrected.

Still, first is not a mark of quality, which is what ultimately matters.

I agree with that and every band and artist in history have been influenced by somebody before them.

Yeah, they've rubbished the idea already, and they don't need the money, but they'd be an instant smash, even if they sucked, and they probably would...

Well Zak is a much better drummer technically than his dad ever was. His guiding light was Keith Moon too not his Dad.

It's hard to think of an exception to the general rule that artists more influenced by The Who are superior to artists more influenced by The Beatles (or the Stones for that matter).

Anyone see McCartney in concert on BBC4 last night?

Not bad for a 71 year old but his voice is now starting to go and i wonder how long he can go on playing live before his ego will allow him to call it a day?

On the flip side he played 'Mr Kite' last night and his bass playing on that was just wonderful to watch. Still a brilliant musician.

Edit. Some interesting comments on last night's show.

http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=152842&messages=2

Edited by Morpheus

Anyone see McCartney in concert on BBC4 last night?

Not bad for a 71 year old but his voice is now starting to go and i wonder how long he can go on playing live before his ego will allow him to call it a day?

On the flip side he played 'Mr Kite' last night and his bass playing on that was just wonderful to watch. Still a brilliant musician.

Edit. Some interesting comments on last night's show.

http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=152842&messages=2

I saw it. McCartney is 71 and there's no way he can reach the heights his voice used to, but he's still an icon and still worth listening to.

I think McCartney will only get the credit when he's no longer with us, but his output in the Beatle years was outstanding and it's what he'll be remembered for.

• Like 1

Â