Are the Beatles over-rated?

ender4

... but they were useless, the only half talented one got bullied and left the band because he could play an instrument and he liked the beatles...

Except none of that is true. Cook and especially Jones have rarely been out of work since the Pistols, both are quite well thought of musicians. Matlock left of his own free will because he was "sick of all the bullshit" (him and Lydon didn't get on and McLaren kept trying to make the situation worse - deliberately).

But the idea that the Pistols were useless as musicians is a fallacy. Sid was useless granted but the others were not

• Like 3

see, I'm a lot older now and if I press play it could cost me a fortune in back catalogue catch up......

..that's fascinating, that live at Woodstock is bloody excellent, the rest I've just skimmed across on youtube is absolutely what I don't like and is the pointless point I was clumsily attempting to make. I wonder if Sanatana are a victim of 'production'? Live is far superior to recorded (on my 10 minute crash course), that track live has a real energy but recorded it's like somebody poured golden syrup all over it. Technically excellent I'm sure.

Edited by chrisp65

Santana's first four albums are great.

Lotus has quite a lot of fat, it was 3 LPs. Across those 3 LPs there's 1

Their demos

The drummer Michael Shrieve was 18/19 when he did that.

The one with John McLaughlin in white is good... I think... It's been a while.

Anything after is mire of bland noodling, but it wasn't just Santana.

• Like 1

... but they were useless, the only half talented one got bullied and left the band because he could play an instrument and he liked the beatles...

Except none of that is true. Cook and especially Jones have rarely been out of work since the Pistols, both are quite well thought of musicians. Matlock left of his own free will because he was "sick of all the bullshit" (him and Lydon didn't get on and McLaren kept trying to make the situation worse - deliberately).

But the idea that the Pistols were useless as musicians is a fallacy. Sid was useless granted but the others were not

Exactly so. Sid wasn't a musician at all, but the original three were a powerhouse rock trio.

see, I'm a lot older now and if I press play it could cost me a fortune in back catalogue catch up......

..that's fascinating, that live at Woodstock is bloody excellent, the rest I've just skimmed across on youtube is absolutely what I don't like and is the pointless point I was clumsily attempting to make. I wonder if Sanatana are a victim of 'production'? Live is far superior to recorded (on my 10 minute crash course), that track live has a real energy but recorded it's like somebody poured golden syrup all over it. Technically excellent I'm sure.

Xann has it spot-on - the first four Santana albums (Santana, Abraxas, Santana III and Caravanserai) are the ones to get. It's not so much 'live vs. studio', as 'early vs. late' (as with so many bands). But if you like the live stuff, there's also this from 1968:

SantanaLiveFillmore.jpg

Edited by mjmooney

8409797776_f6d7b6c565_c.jpg

No early Santana at a sensible price, so today it was a bit of Ben Folds Five (Songs for Silverman) for the lady wife and Murray the Hump (Songs of Ignorance) for me.

Lots of variations on Santana box sets and wotnot but no £8.99 intro

• Like 1

8409797776_f6d7b6c565_c.jpg

No early Santana at a sensible price, so today it was a bit of Ben Folds Five (Songs for Silverman) for the lady wife and Murray the Hump (Songs of Ignorance) for me.

Lots of variations on Santana box sets and wotnot but no £8.99 intro

I'm all for supporting your local record shop, but if they don't have what you want, they can't blame you for going to Amazon. All the early Santanas available for under six quid each.

you won't winalot of friends with that joke MJ

I'll have you know my jokes have pedigree, chum.

Nah, you can't expect a shop of that size to stock everything. They had some Santana for the older gentleman, but they mostly had stuff for us hipsters that are way way under 50. You can't knock a shop that had Murray the Hump on the shelf, that's relatively obscure.

I went in with a list, came out with 2 in my pocket and one on order that they'll have by Wednesday. That'll do for me. I'm sure I could have walked around the corner to HMV or just i-tuned it all but it's basic use it or lose it, and they've got me a good few difficult to obtain gig tickets over the years and they do those little in store mini gigs with many an artiste before their main gig elsewhere in town that evening. 

I have decided that not only will I be buying THIS:

61lyBh6qi-L._SX300_.jpg

I will also be buying THIS:

%7B1D2F4364-6144-43D1-832F-2924852E6DBB%

961 pages, and it only takes the story up to the end of 1962.

Like I said, embedded in my life. :mellow:

Â