Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

if hes not willing to spend then he shouldn't be here.

I think the point he's trying to get to is where HE doesn't have to spend, and the club is generating enough money to cover wages and transfer fees. That's a pretty reasonable place to want to 

I totally agree with you, but the club isnt big enough to do that. Running at a profit is a priority but the club would never be able to make that much profit that we could pay for transfers as well as cover wages.

Just finished an exam, and come back to 17 new pages. An update from anyone would be greatly appreciated

You have missed absolutely nothing

Not so, there has been some top drawer petty squabbling on here.  Scaling back through all the pages is highly advised.

That is not a very good recommendation :)

The question is where should we be, our average attendance is mid table so anything above that is punching above our weight. On the other hand spurs have around the same attendance yet keep pushing for CL football every year.

Its not black or white. The chairman has made mistakes that we are paying for now. If he doesn't intend to sell and wants us to be run properly then we can push into the top 6 given enough time.

A season ticket at spurs costs at least twice as much as ours though

True but i would say a lot of that is going towards a new stadium.

if hes not willing to spend then he shouldn't be here.

I think the point he's trying to get to is where HE doesn't have to spend, and the club is generating enough money to cover wages and transfer fees. That's a pretty reasonable place to want to 

I totally agree with you, but the club isnt big enough to do that. Running at a profit is a priority but the club would never be able to make that much profit that we could pay for transfers as well as cover wages.

I dunno, I wouldn't imagine we'll be that far away from it when we get this season's TV money in May

Just finished an exam, and come back to 17 new pages. An update from anyone would be greatly appreciated

You have missed absolutely nothing

Not so, there has been some top drawer petty squabbling on here.  Scaling back through all the pages is highly advised.

That is not a very good recommendation :)

Exactly.  I'm about to pack this thread in for the day,  To Off Topic I go.

• Like 1

A lot of boring arguing among posters that should be in a different thread, but apart from that - relating to transfer speculation - nothing happening

I always thought football was about winning and competition. I know that's what appealed to me and what made me fall in love with it. There seems to be a growing number of fans who care more about a billionaire looking after his pennies than anything else. Its professional sport.

"I want a really wealthy businessman to run my football club and not care about the business side of it because it's just sport" is an incredibly naive way to think about it.

Also, winning and competition? With Aston Villa? :D

Err Big John doesn't want a sugar daddy to spunk money on players, no no just for Villa to be run properly.... Honest.
I'd love a sugar daddy to do a man city with us. But I'd be happy enough if we were run as a competitive club in the top league rather than survive on the cheap.

You enjoy striving for mediocrity so you can cheer on that billionaire and moan at fans.

I've read some funny posts but this one takes the cake for incredible snobbery.

Must be lonely in your ivory castle looking down at us commoners

Snobbery? For wanting the club to do well over being happy a billionaire is financially ok. If you say so.

Heard the same rubbish for the past 3 years.

Snobbery for thinking that the rest of us who don't immediately want to do a man city are "striving for mediocrity."

What a load of shit.

It's okay, BJ10 is a superfan whilst the rest of us are playing catchup.

He even knows who we played last week AND who we have next, I for one can only strive for such status

Don't worry I'm sure you can tell me Randy's favourite colour and the names of his children. That's great support we well.

Randy has two favourite colours.

Claret and Blue, thought you knew that superfan?

The names of his children are Plato, Socrates and Benteke

• Like 1

So if we're running on our own income that leaves us with lerners decision making and no money. Scary thought.

How many clubs operate on a profit in the prem at the moment?

Very few, but I suspect we're one of them now. Very good place to be, long term

Â